Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone here hate Marty

Why does everyone here hate Marty

I have listened to Marty every night game for the last 9 years and about half that number the 10 years before that.I just dont understand all the hatered toward Cincys hall of fame broadcaster.Does he tell it the way it is yes,but i for one dont see that as a problem.Most here think he should never say a negitive thing about a Red,when he does you guys jump him something awful,I dont get it.After being here at this site for the last year or so i say most here are hipacrits(spelling).You guys down about 90% of the Reds roster but when Marty does it hes the devil.Wake up guys Marty is one of the best 3 in the game,and let him do his job and call the game.The guy here that said he would trade Marty for Skip,your a joke man.You must know nothing about the game and the way it should be called.Just wake up and understand that your living during a broadcast legend.Your kids maynot have this to look forward to.Marty some fans(like me) understand what you bring to the game and love it,pay no attention to what a bunch of lame ducks so.the true fans love ya thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Why does everyone here hate Marty

This has been discussed many times before (a search of "hate marty" came up with this thread: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39823).

I don't "hate" Marty -- I just wish he'd call the game on the field and leave the editorializing to the columnists. His job is to call the action on the field in an unbiased manner and bring the game to life for the fans. When he takes baggage to the microphone with him, in the form of dislike for certain players and styles of play, he ceases to paint the picture as it truly is and instead paints the picture he wants the fans to see.

When Marty is being a broadcaster, there are few better in the sport. When Marty is passing judgments, I turn down the radio.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Because he insulted me on the air two years ago.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I have listened to Marty ever since he started...and i think he's great. I really don't mind the editorializing. After all, he works the banana phone and does other talk shows as well as the Hot Stove League. All of this calls for discussion (sometimes heated). Do I always agree with Marty? No. But i always enjoy hearing his perspective. We should enjoy him while we have him.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    I have listened to Marty every night game for the last 9 years and about half that number the 10 years before that.I just dont understand all the hatered toward Cincys hall of fame broadcaster.Does he tell it the way it is yes,but i for one dont see that as a problem.Most here think he should never say a negitive thing about a Red,when he does you guys jump him something awful,I dont get it.After being here at this site for the last year or so i say most here are hipacrits(spelling).You guys down about 90% of the Reds roster but when Marty does it hes the devil.Wake up guys Marty is one of the best 3 in the game,and let him do his job and call the game.The guy here that said he would trade Marty for Skip,your a joke man.You must know nothing about the game and the way it should be called.Just wake up and understand that your living during a broadcast legend.Your kids maynot have this to look forward to.Marty some fans(like me) understand what you bring to the game and love it,pay no attention to what a bunch of lame ducks so.the true fans love ya thanks.

I don't hate him...I have major Man Love for him...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

People hate Marty? I dont know how I'd react if he wasn't on the air. I love the guy.

Haunted by walks

I don't even mind the editorializing. I think it's kind of interesting that an organization as conservative as the Reds have been has such an outspoken announcer. And from what various people have said, Marty is always gracious to fans when they meet.

The only thing I don't like is when he goes off on his non-baseball tangents. The tomatoes, the golf, the quintessential ladies' man, etc. It's got to be tough to tell a Hall of Famer he needs to take extra batting practice, but most people here would say that Marty is one of the best when he's calling the game, he just needs to cut down on the non-baseball riffing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The only thing I don't like is when he goes off on his non-baseball tangents. The tomatoes, the golf, the quintessential ladies' man, etc.... he just needs to cut down on the non-baseball riffing.
    He does ramble on from time to time, but who wouldn't if you had to watch the Reds for the past 10 years? Most years we've been out of it by the All-Star break. It has to be very frustrating and boring to watch this team for every inning coming down the stretch most years. Granted, many of us here would love to have his job, including myseld, but still, it has to be pretty tough to remain optimistic when there is no chance left to win most years. I know he supposed to be somewhat unbiased when announcing and it shouldn't matter what our record is, but that's not who he is and it's not what makes him great. We're fortunate to be able to turn the radio or t.v. off when the Reds stink. He isn't.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Marty is the King.

I sure do not hate Marty. I have enjoyed listening to him for more than 30 years - many of them with Joe - and have a fuller appreciation for him every time I listen to some other announcers.

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Because he insulted me on the air two years ago.
    Probably because you are a Browns fan :thumbdown
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

I love to hear Marty call Reds baseball on the radio. It doesn't get any better for me, unless you add Joe Nuxhall.

I don't hate Marty at all.

I do echo the sentiments of others about his editorializing, however.

I've met him numerous times and he's always been as genuinely fun to talk to as anyone. He's gregarious and engaging.

I think we're all in agreement that, when he's just talking about the events on the field, he has few peers. His walk off calls are the best in the business (thanks to the beauty of XM radio, I can confirm that to myself), and I feel like I can see what he's describing.

Does he need to tone down the rhetoric?

Yes.

Do I "hate" him?

NO.

I'm not even sure I'd want him to change, even though he really gets under my skin sometimes. He feels like family to me, and I'd actually miss his act a little.

He's great, but he's not above reproach.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I think Marty calls a game as good as anybody in the business. I don't even mind his editorial comments about players, the organization, etc - matters pertinent to the game of baseball.

I personally don't care for the occasional (albeit infrequent) cramming down my throat of his personal politics. He has listeners of all political persuasions - nuff said.

And it gets tiresome when he goes off on tangents about things completely unrelated to the game. He gets a little to "buddy buddy" with this "good friend" and that "good friend". That gets a bit boorish, although I understand it blow-out games, it's a bit of filler.

Having said the above, I certainly have not minded certain running jokes or schticks (e.g. the Elvis statue or their tomato plants) and I generally find the emails they get in reporting on someone who slips my mind as a funny, ironic little soap opera throughout the season. That one, though, drives my wife nuts - she thinks it's total B.S.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 01-31-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Turn Off Ads?