Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game Threads in a seperate forum ... ?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Game Threads in a seperate forum ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Last year we started with the game thread in Reds Live so everyone could post in it. After a few weeks of 1300+ posts threads, it became nearly impossible to follow them so we reverted to parallel game threads after receiving multiple requests.

I'm not sure how a separate forum would made the threads more visible. They were stickied at the top of the forum before. Previous game threads would be easier to find, but the threads usually stayed on the first page for another day or two as it was. To me, this seems like we are reverting to the Reds Live idea just in a different location.
    Even if you decide not to create a game threads forum to host the active game threads, and stick with it the way it is, it might work to create a new "archives" board for old game threads. That would get them out of the way but still easy to find, and those threads wouldn't clutter the search results of the other boards, which was one of gonelong's issues.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    IMO thats a solid argument for a game thread forum. There could be 3 or 4 game threads there based upon your own tastes. You could have a PBP thread, a gripe/cheer thread, etc. all going at once.GL
    I like that idea, just as long as everyone is aware of it.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Even if you decide not to create a game threads forum to host the active game threads, and stick with it the way it is, it might work to create a new "archives" board for old game threads. That would get them out of the way but still easy to find, and those threads wouldn't clutter the search results of the other boards, which was one of gonelong's issues.
    That would be fine as well. The game threads themselves are no issue to me, its that the clutter up the forums long after they are useful. I thought the additional forum would be less work on the MODs than trying to archive the game threads in season. Plus it would put all the game threads in one forum in case you did want to search through them.

I don't want to rock the boat just to rock the boat. Make sure that it make sense for the users, mods, and forum in general.

GL

That would be fine as well. The game threads themselves are no issue to me, its that the clutter up the forums long after they are useful.
    As a mod, the threads themselves are a very big issue. They make our job virtually impossible and very frustrating.

I thought the additional forum would be less work on the MODs than trying to archive the game threads in season. Plus it would put all the game threads in one forum in case you did want to search through them.

I don't want to rock the boat just to rock the boat. Make sure that it make sense for the users, mods, and forum in general.

GL
    You aren't rocking the boat. These kinds of threads only help to make RedsZone a better place.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

I liked 2 game threads, but don't care where they reside.

My reasoning is the sheer number of people posting. One thread gets too long. They're horrible to read back through if you missed the game, but want to read about it. You get multiple posts about the same event on the field and then everyone pisses and moans about it. Created too much fighting in the past.
    Last edited by TeamCasey; 02-01-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

The minor league forum split off seemed to be successful.

Would it be prudent to split out some other category? The number of users has grown tremendously.

Just brainstorming.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I kind of favor this idea too. I think it could potentially even make the work easier on us mods because the main thread we'd have to worry about would be the reaction [IE complaining] thread.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

IMO thats a solid argument for a game thread forum. There could be 3 or 4 game threads for each game there based upon your own tastes. You could have a PBP thread, a gripe/cheer thread, etc. all going at once. PIck your type of thread and have at it.
    As the game threads got longer last summer, I thought a few times about trying out just a "PBP Only" thread to see if anyone would react positively or negatively to it.

But then that pesky "bar exam" thing came around.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think the best solution might be to retain the dual game threads, but have someone move them into a new "Game Thread Archives" forum something like 48 hours after the conclusion of each game. That way you avoid the 1300 post monstrosities (by keeping the ORG/RL split) but also avoid fouling peoples' search results.

Alternatively, you could just delete them after 48 hours. It's extremely rare that someone makes a point on a game thread that's worth debating more than two days after the fact.

I would LOVE a PBP thread.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I think a separate Game Thread Forum is a great idea. It could evolve into whatever the users wanted. You could have a Play-by-Play thread, a gripe thread, a positive feedback only thread, a drunken ramblings thread (We could even name it GAC's Corner Pub or something,) Heck we could even get Richard Hand to come back to type word-for-word what the radio broadcasters were saying. Of course, they'd take up so much space you'd prolly have to implement a 7-day retention deadline or something and just can them after 7 days. Great idea IMHO, GL.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I like the idea of a seperate game thread forum. I also like the idea of having a PBP thread for those that can't watch / follow the game and a seperate "reaction" thread for those that are watching / following the game. I think those would be great additions.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Bump - since we have ST games it might be a good time to implement this to see if it works for everyone.

GL

Thanks GIK! It should work well and I look forward to dropping by often.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?