Turn Off Ads?

Thread: I've got a question (health related)

I've got a question (health related)

and hopefully someone has an answer.

Long story short. My job involves a bunch of walking, most of the time I am away from the vehicle and unable to get anything to drink. Well, on Tuesday it was about 75 degrees here and I went about four or five hours without drinking anything. When I finally arrived back at the truck, I was thirsty as heck as you would imagine, so I downed about two or three small bottles of Mountain Dew within about 10 minutes. Ever since then I have gagged and eventually vomited after pretty much every meal and drink I have consumed since Tuesday. I don't know if my recent problems are connected to this or what. I don't feel sick like the flu or virus or anything like that. I really don't have a clue what is wrong. Anyone out there have an idea? Possible dehyration or something along those lines?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I've got a question (health related)

Hard to say for sure but if you are vomiting that much it could be a sign of dehyrdation. If you have been sick that long I would recommend going to the emergency room.

I was going to say I thought you should try drinking really small amounts of water, but then I decided to look up dehydration. Here's some information (including drinking small amounts of fluid).

Treatment

Drinking fluids is usually sufficient for mild dehydration. It is better to have frequent, small amounts of fluid (using a teaspoon or syringe for an infant or child) rather than trying to force large amounts of fluid at one time. Drinking too much fluid at once can bring on more vomiting.

Electrolyte solutions or freezer pops are especially effective. These are available at pharmacies. Sport drinks contain a lot of sugar and can cause or worsen diarrhea. In infants and children, avoid using water as the primary replacement fluid.

Intravenous fluids and hospitalization may be necessary for moderate to severe dehydration. The doctor will try to identify and then treat the cause of the dehydration.

Most cases of stomach viruses (also called viral gastroenteritis) tend to resolve on their own after a few days. See diarrhea.

Expectations (prognosis) Return to top

When dehydration is recognized and treated promptly, the outcome is generally good.

Complications

Untreated severe dehydration may result in seizures, permanent brain damage, or death.

Calling your health care provider

Call 911 if you or your child have the following symptoms

Dizziness
    Lightheadedness
    Lethargy
    Confusion
    Call your doctor right away if you or your child has any of the following symptoms:

Not producing tears
    Sunken eyes
    Little or no urine output for 8 hours
    Dry skin that sags back into position slowly when pinched up into a fold
    Dry mouth or dry eyes
    Sunken soft-spot on the top of your infant's head
    Fast-beating heart
    Blood in the stool or vomit
    Diarrhea or vomiting (in infants less than 2 months old)
    Listlessness and inactiveness
    Also call your doctor if you are not sure whether your attempts to give your child proper fluids are working.

Also call your doctor if:
    An illness is combined with the inability to keep down any fluids
    Vomiting has been going on for longer than 24 hours in an adult or longer than 12 hours in a child
    Diarrhea has lasted longer than 5 days in an adult or child
    Your infant or child is much less active than usual or is irritable
    You or your child have excessive urination, especially if there is a family history of diabetes or you are taking diuretics
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I agree with creek. If you are dehydrated, the last thing you should be drinking is sugar..... especially Montain Dew.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I feel a little better today, though I have absolutely no strength in my legs.

Thanks for help.

I bet you are low on potassium. Eat a banana. Or two.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Water is your friend, always have access to it. Just make a habit of having some in your car and if you do a lot of walking and can't get back to your car then go Camelback.

Caffeinated drinks (Dew) are diuretics. Drink water, slowly and steadily the whole day through. Keep the caffeinated stuff to a minimum till you're feeling better.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Thanks again guys (and gals).

Man, I thought FCB was going to tell me to drink rat poison or something.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I feel a little better today, though I have absolutely no strength in my legs.

Thanks for help.
    You sound fatigued....

Rest. Drink water...water, and more water

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Thanks again guys (and gals).

Man, I thought FCB was going to tell me to drink rat poison or something.
    I don't think that would help

Turn Off Ads?