Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game Threads in a seperate forum ... ?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Game Threads in a seperate forum ... ?

Has any consideration been given to creating a forum specifically for the game threads? They seem to take up quite a bit of space in both the ORG and Live forums. Its kind of annoying to have them come up in searches because they rarely have the information in the context you are acutally searching for. Occasionally I like to order by views or replies to see what the larger stories for the past year or so has been. Mostly you just get game threads.

The large majority of those threads get rather large, but most are quickly forgotten after the game is played. It would seem to make some sense to segregate the game threads into a seperate forum.

just my $.02

Speaking of my $.02, how are we doing on donations this year? I haven't ponied up for some time and will be doing so shortly.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game Threads in a seperate forum ... ?

I think that's a pretty good idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I like that idea. It would eliminate two threads about the same thing. From my viewpoint, anything that does that is progress.

Rem

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post

Speaking of my $.02, how are we doing on donations this year? I haven't ponied up for some time and will be doing so shortly.

GL
    Where would those go to? I wouldn't mind making a small donation.

Also, I think it's a good idea.

If this was GAC, he'd tell you to join chat.

I'd email GIK or Boss - or even better - create a Feedback Forum where you can "Ask a Mod".

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Where would those go to? I wouldn't mind making a small donation.

Also, I think it's a good idea.
    The Donate button is located on the upper left hand corner and, just like Waffle House, it is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

I'd email GIK or Boss - or even better - create a Feedback Forum where you can "Ask a Mod".

You can PM any or all of us. Direct links to PM us are at the very bottom of every RZ page.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

The Donate button is located on the upper left hand corner and, just like Waffle House, it is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
    Ah thanks, Never really pay much attention to the buttons up there. Just gotta wait a couple days for the money to get transferred back into my paypal.

No donation needed..... just a small initiation ceremony.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think that's a pretty good idea.
    Same here
    Go Gators!

Sounds good to me. Send me a PM so I remember to do this before ST.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Sounds good to me. Send me a PM so I remember to do this before ST.
    I don't frequent the game threads as much as some folks, so maybe you should put it up to a vote or discussion? I seem to remember some fuss about seperate game threads at one time.

GL

Multiple game threads are redundant and take up space. Personally, I prefer chat but for those that like the game threads open it to everyone by useing a single thread. JMO

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Multiple game threads are redundant and take up space. Personally, I prefer chat but for those that like the game threads open it to everyone by useing a single thread. JMO

Rem
    Last year we started with the game thread in Reds Live so everyone could post in one place. After a few weeks of 1300+ posts threads, it became nearly impossible to follow them so we reverted to parallel game threads after receiving multiple requests.

I'm not sure how a separate forum would made the threads more visible. They were stickied at the top of the forum before. Previous game threads would be easier to find, but the threads usually stayed on the first page for another day or two as it was. To me, this seems like we are reverting to the Reds Live idea just in a different location.

I think the bigger problem is that people have different ideas as to what a game thread should be. Some like to use as a supplement/replacement to radio or TV. Others just want to post their reactions and gripe/cheer without going into detail as to what actually happened. Regardless, the 1300+ post game threads didn't work so well (or maybe too well) and there is room for improvement.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-01-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Last year we started with the game thread in Reds Live so everyone could post in it. After a few weeks of 1300+ posts threads, it became nearly impossible to follow them so we reverted to parallel game threads after receiving multiple requests.
    No reason there couldn't be multiple game threads going in a Game Thread forum ... read on.

I'm not sure how a separate forum would made the threads more visible. They were stickied at the top of the forum before. Previous game threads would be easier to find, but the threads usually stayed on the first page for another day or two as it was. To me, this seems like we are reverting to the Reds Live idea just in a different location.
    I was hoping that moving them to another forum would clear up Reds live and ORG a bit more. When you do searches you end up with all sorts of game threads that pretty much noone cares about anymore.

It would probably make them a bit less visible in their own forum, though I'd imagine everyone would find them. I think the difference is that moving the game threads out of Reds Live and ORG make both those forums a little cleaner.

I think the bigger problem is that people have different ideas as to what a game thread should be. Some like to use as a supplement/replacement to radio or TV. Others just want to post their reactions and gripe/cheer without going into detail as to what actually happened. Regardless, the 1300+ post game threads didn't work so well (or maybe too well) and there is room for improvement.
    IMO thats a solid argument for a game thread forum. There could be 3 or 4 game threads for each game there based upon your own tastes. You could have a PBP thread, a gripe/cheer thread, etc. all going at once. PIck your type of thread and have at it.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 02-01-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Turn Off Ads?