Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is anyone else as tired of this as I am?

Is anyone else as tired of this as I am?

Roger...just let us know when you make a decision. We really don't need a daily update. If none of the teams expect to see you before May, I don't expect to hear from you before then either.

Free agent Roger Clemens said Wednesday that he doesn't see himself returning to the mound in May.

Clemens has been throwing batting practice to Astros minor leaguers, but he's not getting ready for an early-season return. "None of the teams are interested in seeing me before May, and that's great," he said. "I don't have an interest in playing right now in May." While Clemens isn't likely to announce anything anytime soon, he doesn't sound like someone who is leaning toward retirement. "I'm failing at retirement," he said. "Let's just face it. I'm failing miserably at it." Clemens will consider the Astros, Red Sox and Yankees once he decides on returning.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Is anyone else as tired of this as I am?

I think it's selfish that he comes in, plays half a season or less and gets paid huge bucks. Then again I guess he's paid a lot of dues and if people are actually gonna give him the contract, I can't really blame him.

I agree though, the media circus that follows him day to day is dumb.
    Last edited by HumnHilghtFreel; 02-01-2007 at 06:56 AM.

It doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure he is only speaking because he is being asked. If he made an "i'm not going to talk about it remark" we would be criticizing him for that as well.

I wondered awhile back whether if Clemens had come back sooner rather than later last year if the Cardinals would have even made the playoffs.

I sent my question over to The Hardball Times and got these responses:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...bonus-edition/

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...-world-series/

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I think it's selfish that he comes in, plays half a season or less and gets paid huge bucks. Then again I guess he's paid a lot of dues and if people are actually gonna give him the contract, I can't really blame him.

I agree though, the media circus that follows him day to day is dumb.
    Take it as a given that Clemens would agree to it, would you take him on the Reds from Memorial Day on? I think I would.

[of course, setting aside that he doesn't want to play for anyone else other than the three mentioned and setting aside the costliness his contract would be]

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Take it as a given that Clemens would agree to it, would you take him on the Reds from Memorial Day on? I think I would.

[of course, setting aside that he doesn't want to play for anyone else other than the three mentioned and setting aside the costliness his contract would be]
    From a fans standpoint, if we were in the thick of things and he wanted on the staff, I'd probably welcome him with open arms.

If I was a player I'm not sure how I'd feel though. I'd be glad to get a guy that would increase our chances of winning, but at the same time, I'd be a little mad that I've been working hard all year as a part of a team and this guy steps right in, pitches every 5 days and doesn't even travel with the team(he's still doing that isn't he?).

From a fans standpoint, if we were in the thick of things and he wanted on the staff, I'd probably welcome him with open arms.

If I was a player I'm not sure how I'd feel though. I'd be glad to get a guy that would increase our chances of winning, but at the same time, I'd be a little mad that I've been working hard all year as a part of a team and this guy steps right in, pitches every 5 days and doesn't even travel with the team(he's still doing that isn't he?).
    Or you could say "well those are the perks of being a still playing legend, and maybe if I'm good enough I'll get some perks too." That's how I'd look at it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I think though that players for these teams that he is interested in playing for will learn that this is "Roger's thing", his summer job, if you will. There will be guys starting in the rotation out of camp who know they're keeping Roger's seat warm. You're right, some may not like that. Of course, the other question is, how much longer can he keep going? Hoyt Wilhelm pitched until he was 49 (albeit almost exclusively as a reliever). Phil Niekro pitched until he was 48, but he had that knuckleball (although how old was he when he pitched the game where he chose not to throw one knuckleball the whole night?).

Recovering Cubs Fan

I'm tired of people complaining about it. There's nothing wrong with doing things on your own terms, if you're good enough to get away with it.

Roger Clemens, at this point, is a high priced mercenary.

I'm tired of hearing about it, but I agree, since Clemens can operate this way it's his perogative and I don't begrudge him that.

I get tired of hearing about a so many different sports topics any more. The media goes so overboard on everything. Heck I was even tired of hearing about the Buckeye basetball team (especially early in the year) and Buckeye basketball, as anyone who knows me well can attest, is my favorite sport!! But they just kept talking about the recruiting class, etc. to the point where Oden and Co. could do nothing other than disappoint. I just felt like screaming "shut up and just let them play ball!".... Even now it is a bit much... I like hearing good things about my favorite team, but most of the praises, like most of the criticisms, are so overboard it's silly...
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Doesn't bother me.

I'm more tired of steroid talk.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Doesn't bother me.

I'm more tired of steroid talk.
    I think they're related.

I'm more tired of hearing Curt Schilling tell everyone he is going to pitch another year after this year.

I'm sorry Curt was it a full 3 weeks since we'd heard you. Of course I think that's entirely too long.

Maybe people in NE have been asking about this, but really I don't see any significance. Let's keep the retirement drama to the end of one's contract like Clemens okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?