Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nats lock up Kearns

Nats lock up Kearns

this per rotoworld:

*****Nationals agreed to terms with outfielder Austin Kearns on a three-year contract with a club option for 2010. The option would cover his second year of free agency. No word on the terms yet, but the guaranteed portion of this deal is probably worth about $16 million. Kearns asked for $4.25 million and was offered $3.65 million in arbitration.*******

I wonder what's holding up an extension for Harang? Krivsky should be more like Bowden (choking back lunch as I type that....)
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nats lock up Kearns

Bummer, I was hoping he would come back to Cincy when he was able to go to go free agent!!

That's a lot of money, but it's not a LOT of money. I remember Dunn talking about how miserable Kearns was in Washington shortly after the trade went down. I guess things change.

I remember Dunn talking about how miserable Kearns was in Washington shortly after the trade went down. I guess things change.
    Just goes to show money talks......

I'd be willing to bet good money would keep Bronson in Cincy too
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Kearns was feeling threatened in the clubhouse...after he broke a leg in front of everyone nobody had the courage to mess with him!

I know...it's lame...and so was Nick Johnson after that game!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    this per rotoworld:

*****No word on the terms yet, but the guaranteed portion of this deal is probably worth about $16 million. Kearns asked for $4.25 million and was offered $3.65 million in arbitration.*******
    $3.5M in 2007, $5M in 2008 and $8M in 2009. $10M option for 2010. Fairly reasonable given the current market. I'd take Kearns at that price long before Matthews and Pierre.

Also, it means we officially saved $7.4M in 2007 by trading Kearns and Lopez. I can't remember what Bray & Majic got, but I'm assuming it is around $1-1.5M combined since they are young. So a net of around $6M from the Trade.

I wish Austin Kearns the best throughout the rest of his career. I think had he not gotten injured so frequently, the Reds may have felt differently about him. When he came to camp at 255 lbs (reportedly) resulting in his demotion to Triple A, I think that all but sealed his fate as a Redleg.

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    $3.5M in 2007, $5M in 2008 and $8M in 2009. $10M option for 2010. Fairly reasonable given the current market. I'd take Kearns at that price long before Matthews and Pierre.

Also, it means we officially saved $7.4M in 2007 by trading Kearns and Lopez. I can't remember what Bray & Majic got, but I'm assuming it is around $1-1.5M combined since they are young. So a net of around $6M from the Trade.
    Glad Castellini and his wallet are happy with the trade, good for him. Woo hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I think thats one veiw of the "the trade" that gets overlooked, at the end of the day it was a salary dump IMO. Castellini is really turning into a great owner.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Both Bray and Majewski were making around league minimum: $350K each
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I just thought it was worth noting the (almost) final tally on the numbers. When the trade happened I remember thinking that Krivsky would end up looking like a genius because he would save $10MM and use that to sign a front-line pitcher like Schmidt or Zito (thereby essentially making it Kearns and Lopez for Bray, Majic and Schmidt). Instead the number is closer to $6MM and we all see that would buy just about nothing in the FA market this offseason.

I think you also have to add to the amount of money saved the amount of money the team would have had to pay to get even more RP this offseason...look at the figures being paid to these guys and check the numbers again..it's more likely to be somewhere in the neighorhood of $10-$12 mil.

As for signing a front line ACE like Zito or Schmidt...look at the amount saved and look at what they signed for...as Hammer said in the 90's "Can't touch this."

Would that really have been a smart investment for this team? No...of course not...the money those guys make and they go out there once every fifth day and they DO not control every aspect of the game...otherwise they would both be 20-25 game winners every year...they are awesome but to bring in someone like that at this stage of the game with this team would be like paying $25 mil to a pitcher on a three year contract...oh wait...we did that.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I just thought it was worth noting the (almost) final tally on the numbers. When the trade happened I remember thinking that Krivsky would end up looking like a genius because he would save $10MM and use that to sign a front-line pitcher like Schmidt or Zito (thereby essentially making it Kearns and Lopez for Bray, Majic and Schmidt). Instead the number is closer to $6MM and we all see that would buy just about nothing in the FA market this offseason.
    That's why I don't get excited anymore about owners saving money.

Payflex is a big, fat lie owners tell fans to keep them from burning their jerseys and cancelling their season tickets.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Payflex is a big, fat lie owners tell fans to keep them from burning their jerseys and cancelling their season tickets.
    The trade wasn't sold as part of a bigger plan to free payroll for the future.... it was actually sold as proof the ownership was willing to take on payroll and was adopting a win now philosophy....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The trade wasn't sold as part of a bigger plan to free payroll for the future.... it was actually sold as proof the ownership was willing to take on payroll and was adopting a win now philosophy....
    Yes it was.

That's why all of this "the trade might work out one day" doesn't sway me in my opinion of the trade. We didn't dump Kearns and Lopez for pitching help that might help the team in '07 or '08, the deal was sold to Reds fans as something that would help the team NOW.

Woops.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?