Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASEBALL Videos (PBS)

I'm toolsy.

BASEBALL Videos (PBS)

Anyone seen the PBS series BASEBALL? It's a 9 video series by Ken Burns with each disc representing an "inning" which is an era of baseball. I just joined Netflix in order to see these and recently finished disc one of this series which is 1840 - 1900. I will have to say that this is a must see for any baseball fan. Interviews with Bob Costas and Bily Crystal are great. Old grainy footage and historical fun facts make the videos interesting for both the casual and uneducated fans. I can't wait to start disc 2 tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BASEBALL Videos (PBS)

I didn't realize NetFlix had "Baseball." That's reason enough for me to join NetFlix!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Good Book too

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I didn't realize NetFlix had "Baseball." That's reason enough for me to join NetFlix!
    And your first two weeks are free, which may be enough time for you to watch the series.

My brother gave this to me not long after it was released. It is very good, as are most of Ken Burn's series. Just a caution though,it does have a Yankee,Brooklyn Dodger and Red Sox slant to it,IMO. I think more could have been done about midwest baseball than what was. But it is very much worth buying or renting.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That series alone is a grand reason why Buck O'Neil should be in the HOF. In my opinion, the man made the series what it was, with memories going back to the days of Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth and Rube Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    My brother gave this to me not long after it was released. It is very good, as are most of Ken Burn's series. Just a caution though,it does have a Yankee,Brooklyn Dodger and Red Sox slant to it,IMO. I think more could have been done about midwest baseball than what was. But it is very much worth buying or renting.
    That and post war baseball to the 70's.

The fact is that the coast is the hub of MLB, always has been.

The Midwest had to form their own league to stick around in the 1800's and the game has always leaned on the big city brethren for all the stories... that's what having 8 daily papers can do for you before the advent of mass communication.

It's a great series. The Ken Burns Civil War series was awesome as well. I kind of cheaped out a year ago and rented each inning of "Baseball" for Hollywood video, where VHS rentals were a buck apiece. If you think those old films look grainy on DVD, you ain't seen nothing like these worn out video cassettes!

I enjoy the lengthy parts about key individuals most of all. Ruth, Cobb, Robinson... I think Ruth was an entire "inning".

Great viewing for the winter months, especially. I would recommend "When It Was a Game" Parts 1 and 2 as well.

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post

Great viewing for the winter months, especially. I would recommend "When It Was a Game" Parts 1 and 2 as well.
    Netflix has those as well. They are further down in my queue.

I taped all nine episodes of this off PBS back when it originally aired in the 90s. I dug those tapes up the other day, as I'm in the process of converting my worthwhile VHS stuff to DVD. I declined to convert this, though, because of the huge volume of footage. Instead, I found that the DVD set can be had online for around $100 or maybe a little more. I'm thinking that Saint Nicholas and I will have a talk about this sometime between now and December 25 of this year.

As others have already said, it's an awesome documentary. It takes time to watch it all, though -- nine episodes of two hours (is that right?).

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

I have the Blockbuster.com deal. And they have BASEBALL also (10 discs, 23 hours).

They also have the The Cincinnati Reds: 1975 World Series Collector's Edition

I will be adding these to my list right away!!!
    Last edited by shredda2000; 02-02-2007 at 05:06 PM.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    It's a great series. The Ken Burns Civil War series was awesome as well. I kind of cheaped out a year ago and rented each inning of "Baseball" for Hollywood video, where VHS rentals were a buck apiece. If you think those old films look grainy on DVD, you ain't seen nothing like these worn out video cassettes!

I enjoy the lengthy parts about key individuals most of all. Ruth, Cobb, Robinson... I think Ruth was an entire "inning".

I really was dissapointed with Burns baseball documentary, he focused way to much on the east coast teams and made the documentary way to political.

"When It Was a Game" videos are outstanding, when I watch them it makes wish I grew up in the golden area of baseball
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I really was dissapointed with Burns baseball documentary, he focused way to much on the east coast teams and made the documentary way to political.
    Unfortunately, I agree with your comments. It could have been much better.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    In all fairness, this documentary was of the whole history of professional baseball, and while baseball as a sport has always been popular throughout the country, professional baseball has been on the East Coast much longer than it's been out west. And I don't remember anything political at all, but that's just me.

I love this series. I have to purchase an extra box of tissues every time I watch it. Seriously, no matter where in the series I turn it on, I'm weeping in five minutes. The photographs alone are worth it, as is Buck O'Neil. The music is fabulous too.

For everyone in the Cincinnati area: the library has these (for freeee!!!) The brooklyn library did too. I'm sure many libraries do.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    In all fairness, this documentary was of the whole history of professional baseball, and while baseball as a sport has always been popular throughout the country, professional baseball has been on the East Coast much longer than it's been out west. And I don't remember anything political at all, but that's just me.

I love this series. I have to purchase an extra box of tissues every time I watch it. Seriously, no matter where in the series I turn it on, I'm weeping in five minutes. The photographs alone are worth it, as is Buck O'Neil. The music is fabulous too.

For everyone in the Cincinnati area: the library has these (for freeee!!!) The brooklyn library did too. I'm sure many libraries do.
    Its been a while since I watched it but I remember even during the 1960's, 1970's segments he focused on the east coast teams when alot of the successful teams during that era were in the midwest and west coast . If I recall he spent very little time talking about the Big Red Machine.Unfortunately to alot of elitists like Burns the midwest is simply fly over country and anything that happens here is simply not important as it is on the east coast. I mean i dont hate the film because parts of it were interesting, but I just chalk the whole documentary up as being made by someone with a left wing agenda.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?