Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is why I love Marty

This is why I love Marty

I had a similar experience years ago.

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?Secti...22&TM=3237.009

Mark Huber

His arms extended, covered by a long-sleeve red sweater, Marty Brennaman grabbed a 4-year-old named Gehrig and put him on his lap as if he were his own grandson.

Hugging him tightly, the long-time Reds' broadcaster said, "Your dad's going to take a picture of us."

So the awestruck dad, acting amateurishly on Marty's sudden request, quickly hoisted the camera to his eye and captured a treasured memory in a digital file. A memory for the dad, anyway.

Though appropriately named to be with a baseball hall of fame broadcaster, young Gehrig will have to wait a few years to realize the impact of this moment.

But he will realize it one day.

Marty Brennaman was glad-handing at the newly-opened Kroger store in Blanchester Thursday morning. For two hours, he regaled those who strolled past his small, uninspiring table, a piece of furniture more befitting a bat boy than a baseball legend.

But Marty didn't seem to mind. In fact, he appeared quite comfortable planted among the flowers and such at the Kroger store.

A bottle of water - marked "paid" - and several hundred Marty and Joe postcards were on top of the table. Marty grabbed a black Sharpie pen and signed away. Most read "Marty Brennaman." Some were personally signed, in left-handed script, if the request was made.

As he signed, Marty made it well known he could "talk and write" at the same time, so conversing with an ardent Reds' fan or a 4-year-old was no problem as he put pen to paper.

"I bet you're pretty strong," Marty said, his voice booming throughout the store as if he were calling a George Foster upper deck shot.

"Yeeaaa," young Gehrig said as he tightened his fist above a bent elbow, displaying a muscle only a parent would be proud of. "But not as strong as my brother."

"Whoa, I don't know about that," Marty came back quickly.

The engagement of words between the two - separated by 60 years - drew laughter from the handful of people gathered in the area. Marty led the way and Gehrig followed in his wake.

In today's society where many people associated with sports are deemed by the public to be aloof and unsociable, Marty was quick to find out more than just the name of the person standing in front of him. He was genuinely interested beyond how he was going to sign their postcard.

"What's your teacher's name?" Marty asked upon finding out Gehrig attended pre-school.

"Mrs. Washburn and Mrs. Cochran," the young boy said in his classroom voice.

"Well, you tell your teachers Marty said 'Hi,'" the bespectacled guest of honor said.

And while Marty was the primary focus, he didn't pass up a chance to let a 4-year-old take a turn at getting a few laughs. As the two looked over the postcard and its image of Marty and Joe, the broadcaster Marty asked the unassuming Gehrig what he thought about the two men huckstering Kroger Plus cards.

"I think they look pretty good," the youngster said.

"That's the right answer with me," quipped Marty, who by then was beaming from ear to ear. He looked up quickly as if to say, "And I didn't tell him to say that, either."

He didn't have to. Marty made everyone feel comfortable and welcome, much as he has for 30-plus years as the soothing voice inside the radio on Reds' broadcasts. He signed with the Cincinnati ballclub on Feb. 1, 1974. He spent two hours of his 33rd anniversary in Blanchester.

Marty provided nearly as many memories in that 120 minutes as he has while broadcasting more than 15,000 hours of Reds baseball over the years.

At least that's the way one father and son will remember it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is why I love Marty

Marty Brennaman went to Blanchester. Wow.

I lived there a few years. Place had to go bonkers.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I had a similar experience years ago.
    does he have bumpy knees?
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

He is the poofy haired fancy boy
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Marty Brennaman was glad-handing at the newly-opened Kroger store in Blanchester Thursday morning.
    If a person could ever hope to discover the true character of Marty Brennaman, certainly it would be at a two hour paid appearance at a store opening.

Although I must say that he was nice to me when I met him too as a boy many years ago. Then again I didn't report to him overweight and I did hustle to get his autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Marty Brennaman went to Blanchester. Wow.

I lived there a few years. Place had to go bonkers.
    Franchester in Blanchester?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Franchester in Blanchester?
    Has he ever told the story of how he came to be called "Franchester"?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Has he ever told the story of how he came to be called "Franchester"?
    Named after family friends Frank and Chester?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Marty is the best I've ever heard. He's one cocky broadcaster who pulls no punches. The best.

Most in the biz for 30+ years probably wouldnt take the time for these encounters. Kudos to Marty

Zoinks!

In the few times I've met Marty he's managed to make me feel like I've been a long-lost friend each time. I've got nothing bad to say about the guy. He helps to make summer complete.

I don't always agree with Marty, but the guy's a pro.
    Proprietor, Cincinnati Reds Weblog

My personal experience with Marty was at the Reds Caravan in 1986. They came to Marietta, Ohio and my best friend Debbie and I went to see them. I asked Marty if I could see his World Series ring. By "see", I meant for him to hold out his hand to show it to me. But, he actually took it off his hand and gave it to me and let me put it on my finger, which I thought was an EXTREMELY cool thing for him to do.
    I realize that a lot of fans don't like him because he is very outspoken, but you know what? I would rather listen to Marty anytime over announcers who never say anything negative about their team, even if it's warranted. I grew to hate the Braves in the early 80s because Skip Caray, Ernie Johnson and the rest of the Braves broadcasting crew were so incredibly biased it was all I could do to even watch them. I agree that he does have some irritating habits or sayings, but I'll take him any day over anyone else out there.
    Julz

He is a very friendly and sociable guy.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVJulz View Post

My personal experience with Marty was at the Reds Caravan in 1986. They came to Marietta, Ohio and my best friend Debbie and I went to see them. I asked Marty if I could see his World Series ring. By "see", I meant for him to hold out his hand to show it to me. But, he actually took it off his hand and gave it to me and let me put it on my finger, which I thought was an EXTREMELY cool thing for him to do.
    I realize that a lot of fans don't like him because he is very outspoken, but you know what? I would rather listen to Marty anytime over announcers who never say anything negative about their team, even if it's warranted. I grew to hate the Braves in the early 80s because Skip Caray, Ernie Johnson and the rest of the Braves broadcasting crew were so incredibly biased it was all I could do to even watch them. I agree that he does have some irritating habits or sayings, but I'll take him any day over anyone else out there.
    Julz
    I've met him on a couple of occasions and he is just like you describe him. Just a regular guy--with a smart attitude, but one you like. A lot. This is the first 85% complementary thread I've seen on Marty for several years. It is refreshing.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?