Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: do you wear french cuffs?

Re: do you wear french cuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Nothing wrong with a sports coat and slacks and tie. I do that sometimes, too. Especially in your job, it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

For me, I would take a value approach. You want nice clothes that you didn't spend a lot of money on, so if something happens to them you aren't out a bunch of money.

I try and not spend too much money on the dress shirts. You can go to Ross or Marshalls and get name brands for $12.99. What I've been doing lately is going to Dillard's and buying their exclusive brand, Daniel Cremieux, on sale. They go for $69.50 retail, but they have 50%-75% sales close to everyday. They are high quality, they hold up under dry cleaning or laundering, and they look great. You can feel it in the material how heavyweight they are. And this way, if they get dirty, you aren't out anything. On average, I pay close to $20 a shirt for some really nice stuff.

Also- you can go to ebay and type in a designer name and your size and you'd be surprised at what comes up. Hugo Boss, Zegna, Armani can all be had very reasonably. Just don't pay full retail for any of these. Zegna shirts can be $300, and while I own several of these (I never paid more than $50) I'm not sure they are worth it. Even if they last forever, the style doesn't, and after a year or so, you get tired of wearing it, no matter how nice it is.

With suits, I check out overstock.com. I've gotten Zegna, Armani, Versace, Hugo Boss on that site for a fraction of what you'd pay full retail. Still, 50% off of something really expensive usually still ends up pretty expensive. Mostly they have other brands on there pretty cheap (sometimes $150 a suit) and I find the quality is pretty good. Stay away from the double breasted suits- they go in and out of style and they can make you look heavy.

If you are set on wearing the jacket/slacks thing, I would check out the jackets on overstock.com as well as ebay. I usually just type in the brand I'm looking for and my size, and you'd be surprised at what people will sell for pretty cheap. I'd do the same for slacks. Your goal is to find designer clothing cheap. And get it new with tags if you can. And if the seller doesn't show a photo of the tag, I'd stay away. It's hard to fake designer clothing when the buyer knows what the real stuff looks like. Take a trip to Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom's to get a handle on what authentic stuff looks like (not to buy unless you love throwing money away- I saw a Brioni shirt at NM on sale for $300 the other day).

The same can be said for shoes. Bruno Magli, Ferragamo, Coach, Boss. They are all there on ebay. Nexttag.com is also good for finding sales on designer shoes and other things, too.

Which brings me to the tie. To me, you can make an average outfit look terrific with the right combo. I like the heavy silk, hand tailored ones. Again, Dillard's Cremieux brand is terrific- they run $69.50 but you can get them on sale. I've stated here before that I love Ermenegildo Zegna's (pronounced Zen-ya) ties. They retail for about $140, but you can get them for half of that if you shop around. Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, and Michael Kors also make good ones. They are all hand tailored and you can just tell the difference when you hold them in your hands compared to the thin flimsy ones. I know you can get them for $7 at Ross, but the tie isn't something I like to skimp on. Trust me on this. Next time you are at a department store, compare their really expensive ones to the cheaper ones. It's a world of difference.

And if you wear a sharp tie under your jacket, it isn't going to get dirty on your job site.

I hope I didn't talk in circles there. I'm readying the house for a Super Bowl party and typing this in between rooms.
    A man who knows how to dress, gets his home ready for a Super Bowl party, and loves the Reds.

I might have to dump Puffy for Dom!!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

A man who knows how to dress, gets his home ready for a Super Bowl party, and loves the Reds.

I might have to dump Puffy for Dom!!
    I dunno, Creek. I'm not sure if Puffy actually needs clothes. Have you seen him? I read on Wikipedia that Puffy was the Greek word for Adonis before Adonis.

Though I am confident enough in my sexuality to wear pink and lavender, so I have that going for me.

Nothing wrong with a sports coat and slacks and tie. I do that sometimes, too. Especially in your job, it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

For me, I would take a value approach. You want nice clothes that you didn't spend a lot of money on, so if something happens to them you aren't out a bunch of money.

I try and not spend too much money on the dress shirts. You can go to Ross or Marshalls and get name brands for $12.99. What I've been doing lately is going to Dillard's and buying their exclusive brand, Daniel Cremieux, on sale. They go for $69.50 retail, but they have 50%-75% sales close to everyday. They are high quality, they hold up under dry cleaning or laundering, and they look great. You can feel it in the material how heavyweight they are. And this way, if they get dirty, you aren't out anything. On average, I pay close to $20 a shirt for some really nice stuff.

Also- you can go to ebay and type in a designer name and your size and you'd be surprised at what comes up. Hugo Boss, Zegna, Armani can all be had very reasonably. Just don't pay full retail for any of these. Zegna shirts can be $300, and while I own several of these (I never paid more than $50) I'm not sure they are worth it. Even if they last forever, the style doesn't, and after a year or so, you get tired of wearing it, no matter how nice it is.

With suits, I check out overstock.com. I've gotten Zegna, Armani, Versace, Hugo Boss on that site for a fraction of what you'd pay full retail. Still, 50% off of something really expensive usually still ends up pretty expensive. Mostly they have other brands on there pretty cheap (sometimes $150 a suit) and I find the quality is pretty good. Stay away from the double breasted suits- they go in and out of style and they can make you look heavy.

If you are set on wearing the jacket/slacks thing, I would check out the jackets on overstock.com as well as ebay. I usually just type in the brand I'm looking for and my size, and you'd be surprised at what people will sell for pretty cheap. I'd do the same for slacks. Your goal is to find designer clothing cheap. And get it new with tags if you can. And if the seller doesn't show a photo of the tag, I'd stay away. It's hard to fake designer clothing when the buyer knows what the real stuff looks like. Take a trip to Neiman Marcus or Nordstrom's to get a handle on what authentic stuff looks like (not to buy unless you love throwing money away- I saw a Brioni shirt at NM on sale for $300 the other day).

The same can be said for shoes. Bruno Magli, Ferragamo, Coach, Boss. They are all there on ebay. Nexttag.com is also good for finding sales on designer shoes and other things, too.

Which brings me to the tie. To me, you can make an average outfit look terrific with the right combo. I like the heavy silk, hand tailored ones. Again, Dillard's Cremieux brand is terrific- they run $69.50 but you can get them on sale. I've stated here before that I love Ermenegildo Zegna's (pronounced Zen-ya) ties. They retail for about $140, but you can get them for half of that if you shop around. Dolce & Gabbana, Armani, and Michael Kors also make good ones. They are all hand tailored and you can just tell the difference when you hold them in your hands compared to the thin flimsy ones. I know you can get them for $7 at Ross, but the tie isn't something I like to skimp on. Trust me on this. Next time you are at a department store, compare their really expensive ones to the cheaper ones. It's a world of difference.

And if you wear a sharp tie under your jacket, it isn't going to get dirty on your job site.

I hope I didn't talk in circles there. I'm readying the house for a Super Bowl party and typing this in between rooms.

I have no idea if I'd even like Dom's wardrobe personally, but this is clearly a man in touch with his inner fashionista.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

La Dolce Vita

A man who wears French cuffs is obviously a man who sees to details. They look terrific, also.

I wish men would start wearing hats again, and no, I don't mean ball caps.
    Last edited by Sweetstop; 02-05-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    teach tolerance.

Zoinks!

I call them "Liberty Cuffs"

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    French cuffs
    Aaaahhhh.... thank you! I have indeed worn these before, but all in the context of tuxedo rentals for weddings, etc.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Allright, Dom, I just purchased three new dress shirts off eBay (less than $20/ea shipped). We'll see how this turns out...

Only wear french cuffs when required by the rented tuxedo.

Big fan of the white dress shirt. It removes a layer of complexity with respect to getting out the door in the morning. Just have to match the pants & tie. Shoes, socks & belt follow from that.

Specifically, I'm fond of the Polo Yarmouth (Now the Classic Fit) 100% cotton. Not the pinpoint oxford - that's too heavy, especially in these parts in the summer. Every 6 months or so we're inevitably on the road and pass a Ralph Lauren outlet store. Can usually find the shirts for about $30 each.

And it has to be a button down collar. If the collar doesn't button down, there's no sense buying it for me because I'm not wearing it.

Big fan of the white dress shirt.
    I find myself hardly ever wearing white. I'm on a blue kick lately.

Allright, Dom, I just purchased three new dress shirts off eBay (less than $20/ea shipped). We'll see how this turns out...
    What kind did you buy?

Just thought I'd add that in a recent Lands End catalog I looked at they had the cuff links that I believe someone mentioned before on here. It was $10 for three pair of the cuff lnks.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/KnotCuffL...&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Personally, I'm not a big fan of them, but to each their own...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

“Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.”

Always good to see Jim Carroll lyrics in print.

From what I can tell, dress shirt etiquette is undergoing a major overhaul. I went to a summer wedding and wore an Egyptian cotton shirt with Bermuda shorts and sandals (instructions were to dress like you'll be drinking high-priced liquor on a yacht). Just got a French cuff shirt recently and wore it with suit, no tie first time out (it's a striped shirt and I've developed a major distaste for monochrome ties). I like the cuffs though. One thing I've learned as I've aged is that you never need to make excuses when you're wearing good clothes. A quality shirt, whatever the cuff, looks good on you. It's the lesser stuff that sometimes doesn't work.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

What kind did you buy?
    Cremieux, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Bros.

Cremieux, Ralph Lauren and Brooks Bros.
    My tailor told me she likes Brooks Brothers the best. Let me know as I've never owned one.

I'm in a Cremieux phase right now.

I don't have a Dillards by me, so I'm taking a flyer on Cremieux based on your recommendation. I'm looking forward to all three. With how often I've used eBay over the past 8-9 years, I'm surprised I've never thought about buying dress shirts on there. Good tip!

Men are sharing fashion advice on this forum. And listening genuinely, taking action, and thanking each other.

I think I just got dizzy. This thread should be pinned.

Creek et al, back me up here: I do, I admit, frequent this board for more than the baseball. Sometimes, amidst all the crazies and the beaten horses and the farting videos, it gives me faith in humanity.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?