Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lee Roth and Van Halen Reunite

David Lee Roth and Van Halen Reunite

http://www.tmz.com/2007/02/02/its-of...oin-van-halen/

It's Official! Roth to Rejoin Van Halen

Break out your spandex pants, start practicing your karate kicks; David Lee Roth is officially returning as the front man for Van Halen.

Founding band member Eddie Van Halen made the first official announcement to TMZ, saying "It feels like a whole new beginning to be back with Dave and to be playing with my brother and my son. We look forward to going on tour."

Roth, an original member of Van Halen, quit the group in 1985. He rejoined the band briefly in 1996, only to quit again a few months later. Roth hasn't performed live with the group since 1984.

As TMZ first reported, Eddie's son, Wolfgang Van Halen, will be playing bass with the supergroup on their upcoming tour. According to the band's rep, Janie Liszewski, the tour will cover most major U.S. cities, including L.A. and New York.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    bomarl1969

Re: David Lee Roth and Van Halen Reunite

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! I love Van Halen!

So what's the over/under on months before it blows up again?

Shame they couldn't patch things up with Michael Anthony to reunite the old lineup.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    3 weeks.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You know, I'd like to get excited about this, but being since I'm now 37 and these guys are pushing 50, I dunno.

A little too late. I agreed with Grace Slick when she said nobidy wants to see old people performing rock and roll on stage.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Shame they couldn't patch things up with Michael Anthony to reunite the old lineup.
    Well, I guess. It probably won't be too tough to teach Wolfgang those bass parts. Repeating eighth notes on the same string for 64 consecutive bars.
    Stick to your guns.

I bet they don't make it to the first show.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Well, I guess. It probably won't be too tough to teach Wolfgang those bass parts. Repeating eighth notes on the same string for 64 consecutive bars.
    True, but then again, having a 15-year-old kid on stage with a bunch of "oldies" might give it more of a "Third Rock from the Sun" feel instead of a "Van Halen" feel.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I thought they were called "Eddie Van Halen and the Eddie Van Halen Band"', at least by toothless guys.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You know, I'd like to get excited about this, but being since I'm now 37 and these guys are pushing 50, I dunno.

A little too late. I agreed with Grace Slick when she said nobidy wants to see old people performing rock and roll on stage.
    The old timers are still filling arenas because a majority of new acts aren't very good musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

The Rolling Stones grossed $ 150.6 million dollars during 2006. They accomplished all of that without having to create any abominations like, "We built this city....we built this city...on Rock...and...Roll!"

I would say that Grace Slick should not be the one deciding who is/who is not relavent in today's music.

What are the odds on Wolfie ending up in rehab before his Dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    What are the odds on Wolfie ending up in rehab before his Dad?
    If he was out on the road without Dad I would say very good. The nice thing about having your son on tour with you is that you can keep a closer eye on him and he can keep an eye on you.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The old timers are still filling arenas because a majority of new acts aren't very good musicians.
    Isn't that the complaint of every generation? I'd say there are plenty of newer acts that are fantastic musicians and songwriters. As much as I liked Van Halen back in the day, if you gave me a choice of a new album from a DLR-led Van Halen or the latest from The Arcade Fire, I'd pick The Arcade Fire. But for a one-off show, the nostalgia of Van Halen might get me to buy a ticket.

Old timers like the Stones continue to fill arenas because there are still a lot of Baby Boomers and aging Gen-Xers like myself out there who grew up with them, enjoy their music and want to shell out $100 a ticket. Van Halen will probably do quite well because they were hugely popular with DLR and they haven't played live together since the '80s. On the other hand, for every Stones or Van Halen tour, you have acts like Journey and Quiet Riot slogging it out as nostalgia acts at local clubs and dinner theaters. Sure, some people still like the music of these lesser acts. My wife hinted longingly about the Kip Winger show at House of Blues the day after my birthday (Winger? blech). But I suspect others are more intrigued for either its novelty or for that VH1 "What Ever Happened To..." curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If he was out on the road without Dad I would say very good. The nice thing about having your son on tour with you is that you can keep a closer eye on him and he can keep an eye on you.
    I would agree with you if Wolfie's Dad was a paragon of virtue. However, Eddie will have his own demons to contend with while on tour...

I would be more worried about him enabling Wolfie to that lifestyle--rather than imparting his sage-like wisdom. Wisdom, like, choosing cigarettes over a 20+ year marriage. The very same cigarettes that caused him to have half of his cancerous tongue removed and endure months of frustrating speech therapy. That kind of wisdom?

Turn Off Ads?