Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bill "the Buffoon" Bavasi pulls another bonehead move

Re: Bill "the Buffoon" Bavasi pulls another bonehead move

Detroit picked him up today per mlb.com

Acquired RHP Yorman Bazardo from the Seattle Mariners in exchange for OF Jeff Frazier

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Detroit picked him up today per mlb.com
    So, Detroit, who's staff is three times better than ours, thinks he was good enough to trade for him.

Reminds me of all the many times when teams,...well, that are better than ours, pick up players that end up doing well, while we do nothing (Doug Davis a few years ago, as an example).

For whatever reason, I guess he didn't fit in here.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Trading Neagle netted us (eventually) Arroyo.

Getting out from most of Casey's contract was a great move, only getting Williams was the bad part. But we made out much better than the Pirates did on that one.
    Trading Neagle only got the Reds Arroyo six years later because Drew Henson was a twit. Hardly the residue of design on that one. JimBo traded away a plus starting pitcher for a boatload of nothing.

Getting out from under Sean Casey's contract didn't do a damn thing for the Reds and Dave Williams actively hurt the team for the short time he was in town. Sure looked like Sean Casey was a good guy to have on hand for some money games last season. Think a team that went to the end of the season with some playoff hopes alive could have used a guy like that instead of a guy who wound up getting released?

Talent, makes the baseball world go 'round. The Reds continually find themselves short of it and yet people continue to try to put a smiley face on the something-for-nothing deals which have routinely bled the Reds of talent.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    So, Detroit, who's staff is three times better than ours, thinks he was good enough to trade for him.

Reminds me of all the many times when teams,...well, that are better than ours, pick up players that end up doing well, while we do nothing (Doug Davis a few years ago, as an example).

Either that or they didn't want who we were offering or the M's wanted more than we wanted to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post

It's because he's nothing special.

Basically, the Tigers just jettisoned a "bullpen guy" that may develop into something useful someday but who was out of options and essentailly refilled that irrelevent role with the same guy who has options.

In that algebra, the name isn’t nearly as important as the ability to function as a lottery ticket…

Bazardo might as well of been named Tralfaz Zanzabar…. he's not going to amount to much. If this is affecting your opinion of Krivsky, it shouldn't be. It's not even much more than minor housekeeping for the Tigers and Ms.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    It's because he's nothing special.

Basically, the Tigers just jettisoned a "bullpen guy" that may develop into something useful someday but who was out of options and essentailly refilled that irrelevent role with the same guy who has options.

In that algebra, the name isn’t nearly as important as the ability to function as a lottery ticket…

Bazardo might as well of been named Tralfaz Zanzabar…. he's not going to amount to much. If this is affecting your opinion of Krivsky, it shouldn't be. It's not even much more than minor housekeeping for the Tigers and Ms.
    I don't know if Bazardo's ever going to amount to anything, but the Tigers know what they're about on the pitching side. They like and collect kids who can throw gas. Obviously not every single one works out, but I wish the Reds had that kind of direction. Collecting hard thrower has, historically, paid dividends for the Reds bullpen. We'll see if Bazardo can reclaim some velocity this season. He's young and he's been overpromoted and misused, so my guess is he can.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He's young and he's been overpromoted and misused, so my guess is he can.
    I understand the young part but I don't understand the overpromoted and misused part.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Tralfaz Zanzabar? I've got his card!

I understand the young part but I don't understand the overpromoted and misused part.
    He's never been allowed to let his stuff catch up to his level of competition. IIRC, he hadn't pitched a whole lot when he was young and his main selling point was that he's projectable. The Marlins gave him a cup of coffee when he was 21. He's never really been able to translate velocity into strikeouts and constantly facing older, more experienced hitters surely hasn't done him any favors on that front. The original book on him might be right. He might be a projectable arm with a sweet heater, but it might take him another two to three years when he's 24 or 25 to put it all together. No one's ever tried patience with this kid.

He also seemingly has no feel for benders. He scrapped his curveball and his slider is nothing to write home about. What he has is a fastball that he can dial up to the high 90s and a changeup. Sounds like a reliever to me. Bet he sounds like a reliever to the Tigers too. My guess is they'll get him working out of the pen and see if his velocity returns. I wish the Reds would try something like that.

Turn Off Ads?