Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Queen Nancy to OSU?

  1. #1
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Queen Nancy to OSU?

    http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...203-D1-03.html

    OSU sets standards high for its next president
    Saturday, February 03, 2007
    Kathy Lynn Gray
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

    Let the speculation begin.

    Ohio State University trustees approved a laundry list of qualifications yesterday that they want in the school’s next president, a list that made one national expert ask, "Are they expecting all those characteristics in one person? "

    Ohio State President Karen A. Holbrook is retiring in June, and trustees hope to have a new leader by then. A 24-member search committee and a search firm compiled the profile last month and expect to begin culling through candidates soon.

    Trustee Alex Shumate, head of the search committee, wouldn’t reveal any potential candidates’ names or even how many there are on the list. But several names surfaced yesterday when current and former leaders from national university associations and search firms were asked who might be in the pool.

    The two mentioned most often were University of Cincinnati President Nancy L. Zimpher and Arizona State University President Michael M. Crow.

    But Claire Van Ummersen, vice president for the Center for Effective Leadership at the American Council on Education, said there are 30 or 40 others across the country who would meet the broad qualifications that the board has set.

    "This is a highly desirable job that has to attract a host of desirable candidates," said Sheldon Steinbach, a Washington lawyer who until recently worked for the American Council on Education. "If you have a good search firm, they will bring people out of the woodwork who would not necessarily be thought of as a candidate."

    Besides attributes such as being a visionary, an innovator, an intellectual and a great communicator, the board is looking for someone with leadership experience at an urban university and a land-grant institution that’s also a teaching and research university.

    Candidates could include people who currently hold positions at those types of schools or who previously held them, said Peter Magrath, former director of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges.

    That widens the list.

    But one criterion not in the profile might narrow the field considerably. Shumate wants a president who would stay at the university for eight to 10 years.

    "The pools are very shallow when you start applying criteria like this," education headhunter Bill Funk said. "People don’t get to be presidents the first time until they’re in their 50s."

    Funk said the competition is strong now for presidents of big universities because three other Big 10 searches are going on: Purdue University, the University of Iowa and Indiana University. Funk is conducting the Purdue search.

    Both Crow and Zimpher meet OSU’s qualifications regarding leadership at land-grant, metropolitan, research universities.

    Crow, 51, has extensive research background as vice provost at Columbia University in New York and as a research director at Iowa State University, which is a land-grant school.

    He is considered an innovative and entrepreneurial leader who has been praised for rapidly increasing the amount of research done at Arizona State.

    Zimpher, 60, has land-grant experience from Ohio State, where she was an executive dean in the College of Education. Before she became UC’s president in 2003 she was chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

    She’s led the charge in recent years to bring more accountability to Ohio universities in exchange for state funding to improve Ohio’s economy.

    Neither Crow nor Zimpher is known to be looking for another job.

    In November, Zimpher’s board extended her contract until 2009 and announced that it wants to negotiate another five-year contract with her.

    Zimpher could not be reached late yesterday.

    A spokesman for Arizona State said that Crow said the OSU search is "nothing I know anything about."

    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Arizona State University President Michael M. Crow
    Any relation to Jim?

  4. #3
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Hopefully she leaves. She already ruined herself around here, so it's best for her and the University if she moves on.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Hopefully she leaves. She already ruined herself around here, so it's best for her and the University if she moves on.
    No, I absolutely think she's doing a great job and should sign on for a few more years. I wouldn't want OSU to take such a great leader away from UC.

    Let's hope this Crow guy has a great interview and is hired over Nancy. OSU already seems to have had the ASU pipeline with former football coach John Cooper and current AD Gene Smith. Let's make it another.

  6. #5
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    OSU will not hire Nancy Zimpher.



    I'd rather have E. Gordon Gee back.

    Plus, I'm wondering if it's not time for an OSU alum to get the job. There are a few out there.

    BTW - Karen Holbrook wasn't here long enough to break in the office furniture.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  7. #6
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    OSU will not hire Nancy Zimpher.
    Don't underestimate the lady's popularity within academia circles.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  8. #7
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Don't underestimate the lady's popularity within academia circles.
    But the loads of free advertising given to the school by showcasing their athletic programs rides hand in hand with how university programs work. Don't think for a second that the Huggins incident would be brought up in her interview. (If she gets one)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    OSU will not hire Nancy Zimpher.

    Keep the prayers coming. She seems to be the perfect candidate being Karen's buddy and having OSU ties. I'm scared to death she will end up here.

  10. #9
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Keep the prayers coming. She seems to be the perfect candidate being Karen's buddy and having OSU ties. I'm scared to death she will end up here.
    I'd say the odds are pretty good she will. I deal with a lot of UC boosters at work (their names are on buildings around campus) and they seem to be pretty convinced she won't be here much longer.

    I don't care where she goes, just as long as she leaves.

  11. #10
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,246

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    UC fans don't get it, do they? Nancy Zimpher is doing a fine job. The basketball program and football program do not define the university. I would argue that both of those institutions are better off today then the day she arrived on campus. From my understanding from cousins that attend UC, (one entered UC undergrad in 1997, took a few years to work, and is now back at UC in law school who has observed the changes up close and personal) and they are very pleased with how things are shaping up on campus. Nancy Zimpher deserves alot of credit. I hear that there is lots of construction on campus, and that the academic programs are improving. Now there are even rumblings about a new basketball arena. A university president would have her hands in that as well. Hate her or like her, she does not bend to public pressure. If she comes to Ohio State, I doubt she does anything but succeed. Karen Holbrook, William Kirwin, and Gordon Gee were all people that had brought out strong opinions, and many will tell you they didn't like any of them. Ohio State is stronger than ever, despite the anti beer drinking tailgate rules.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  12. #11
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    UC fans don't get it, do they? Nancy Zimpher is doing a fine job. The basketball program and football program do not define the university. I would argue that both of those institutions are better off today then the day she arrived on campus. From my understanding from cousins that attend UC, (one entered UC undergrad in 1997, took a few years to work, and is now back at UC in law school who has observed the changes up close and personal) and they are very pleased with how things are shaping up on campus. Nancy Zimpher deserves alot of credit. I hear that there is lots of construction on campus, and that the academic programs are improving. Now there are even rumblings about a new basketball arena. A university president would have her hands in that as well. Hate her or like her, she does not bend to public pressure. If she comes to Ohio State, I doubt she does anything but succeed. Karen Holbrook, William Kirwin, and Gordon Gee were all people that had brought out strong opinions, and many will tell you they didn't like any of them. Ohio State is stronger than ever, despite the anti beer drinking tailgate rules.
    Umm....I'm a fifth-year senior at UC and have seen all too well the harm she has done to this school. UC is in a financial crisis. There's a hiring and tenure freeze. My department lost two well-respected instructors because of it. The dean she hired to run my college couldn't find Cincinnati on a map when asked. He also didn't know UC had an engineering school (let along a well respected one) until he heard about the job vacancy. But of course he got the job.

    I have plenty of reasons to disapprove of the job she's doing outside of what she did to Huggins. I've forgiven her for that. I can't forgive her for what she's done to my college. The very first point of her UC|21 plan is to "place students first." Everything she has done in her tenure at UC has shown that to be a total farce.

    But apparently I just don't get it because you still think this is about athletics.
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-04-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  13. #12
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,246

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Umm....I'm a fifth-year senior at UC and have seen all too well the harm she has done to this school. UC is in a financial crisis. There's a hiring and tenure freeze. My department lost two well-respected instructors because of it. The dean she hired to run my college couldn't find Cincinnati on a map when asked. He also didn't know UC had an engineering school (let along a well respected one) until he heard about the job vacancy. But of course he got the job.

    I have plenty of reasons to disapprove of the job she's doing outside of what she did to Huggins. I've forgiven her for that. I can't forgive her for what she's done to my college. The very first point of her UC|21 plan is to "place students first." Everything she has done in her tenure at UC has shown that to be a total farce.

    But apparently I just don't get it because you still think this is about athletics.
    I have a cousin in the law school, and several undergrads one in business and another in engineering (he is considering a transfer to Ohio State, because of a girl). They are quite happy. Thats all I have to go on. I guess my response is based mostly on the fact that the only thing that most people know about Nancy Zimpher is the fact that she got rid of Huggins.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  14. #13
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I have a cousin in the law school, and several undergrads one in business and another in engineering (he is considering a transfer to Ohio State, because of a girl). They are quite happy. Thats all I have to go on. I guess my response is based mostly on the fact that the only thing that most people know about Nancy Zimpher is the fact that she got rid of Huggins.
    She has made plenty of offensive statements that have nothing to do with athletics. I work with a guy that has an undergrad from UC, MBA from Xavier, and currently has 2 sons in the engineering program at UC. He isn't interested in college athletics and can't stand Zimpher, and he won't donate anything to the school until she is gone. This runs much deeper than Bob Huggins.

    You mentioned the construction earlier, she gets no credit for that. Funding for nearly every project on campus right now was raised by Joe Steger, not Nancy Zimpher.

  15. #14
    On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    627

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    You mentioned the construction earlier, she gets no credit for that. Funding for nearly every project on campus right now was raised by Joe Steger, not Nancy Zimpher.
    You are exactly right, jokes about UC standing for "under construction" were around way before Nancy. I also attend UC and the financial strains and bad decisions made by Nancy are very apparent. The arguements about the sports not making up an university are not very accurate. When basketball is what the University lived on for so long from the memories of Oscar Robinson to the program that Bob Huggins rebuilt and made great, then they rely greatly on the funds it produced. If they really believed that sports weren't a big deal then why are they making a push to make the football team better?
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

    "You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

  16. #15
    Member Cedric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Monroe
    Posts
    6,415

    Re: Queen Nancy to OSU?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I have a cousin in the law school, and several undergrads one in business and another in engineering (he is considering a transfer to Ohio State, because of a girl). They are quite happy. Thats all I have to go on. I guess my response is based mostly on the fact that the only thing that most people know about Nancy Zimpher is the fact that she got rid of Huggins.
    We don't get it but that's all the "info" you had?

    I guess you would know more than grad students and 5th year students at the University.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25