Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Dreams

How did that one Mammas and Pappas song go?.... "dream a little dream of me."

Now the wiki definition of dream is....

Dreaming is the subjective experience of imaginary images, sounds/voices, words, thoughts or sensations during sleep, usually involuntarily. The scientific discipline of dream research is oneirology. Dreaming is associated with rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, a lighter form of sleep that occurs during the later portion of the sleep cycle, characterized by rapid horizontal eye movements, stimulation of the pons, increased respiratory and heart rate, and temporary paralysis of the body.

Yeah, whatever.

All I know is, and most everyone can agree, is that we all experience some really weird dreams. Some are enjoyable, some cause you to wake up in a sweat, and some make a Monty Python skit look downright tame.

Have you ever had a dream, woke up, maybe got up and got a drink of water, whatever, and then when you went back to sleep you went back into the same dream? It's like a sequel!

I still, at times, have dreams (even nightmares) that I had as a child.

Have you ever been in a dream, and while you're in it you realize it? So anything you do, or anything that happens to you, you realize it's just a dream and doesn't matter, so you then do some simply surreal stuff.

Do dreams really mean anything? I personally doubt it.

Ever had dreams of falling? How about with snakes in them? I've been told those are suppose to mean something. I've had those types for years because they are two "fears" of mine.

Of course I'm use to falling in real life.

I've been working alot of O.T. a Honda since the beginning of the new year. I've had 3 days off in the last month. Last night I had a dream that I went to church and everyone was wearing the Honda white uniforms. I think it's time to cut back on the O.T.

Last edited by GAC; 02-04-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dreams

I'm a vivid dreamer. Color, dialog, it's like an Omnimax movie.

Ever since I broke my ankle, I haven't been able to run in any dream.

The other night I was hanging out with Dale Earnhardt Jr. Then his girlfriend came over. She was 80. So I left and went to my high school gym. The Mavs were playing Beavercreek. I watched part of the game and then had to go to the bathroom. All the stalls were full. I woke up and had to go to the bathroom.

I love the dreams my dad is in. It's like I get to spend time with him again.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    I love the dreams my dad is in. It's like I get to spend time with him again.
    Me too creek. I was going to mention this. Any dream where my Dad is in is a pleasure.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Ever since the 1st pick of the 2022 amateur baseball draft fell down the stairs, I dream about that. It's awlful. He was 10 months old at the time and the gate at the top of the stairs was open. He rolled all the way down with me 4 steps behind. I brusied ribs and sprained my wrist trying to catch him. He had ZERO injuries...just scared him. I dream the same dream, but this time it's fatal. I felt at the time I had let him down. It's my job to protect him and I did not.

I also dream alot about losing my children. I watch a lot of cable news and as you know missing children dominate cable news. I attribute the dreams to that. Anybody else want to analyze my dreams...I open to comment.
    Last edited by George Foster; 02-05-2007 at 12:33 AM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I was talking to a buddy at work last night about this topic, and he said he has had dreams about going to church and everyone wore roller skates. I immediately responded with my quick wit.... Holy Rollers huh?

I've had dreams about being really thirsty, and no matter how much I drink my thirst is never quenched. I usually then wake up with a parched throat in which I go and get a huge drink of water.

Then I'm up an hour later going to the bathroom for other reasons.

I used to have problems firing guns in my dreams. I could never squeeze the trigger, even if it was a life-or-death scenario.

I went to the firing range for the first time about two years ago and shot about 100 rounds with a friend. Ever since then, I can blow away the baddies in my dreams.

I've found that if I take aspirin or ibuprofen before I go to sleep, my dreams are a lot more vivid and detailed than normal. It also works if I wear one of those Breathe-rite strips on my nose. I guess it has something to do with increasing the flow of blood and/or oxygen to my brain.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

My dreams are more crazy if I eat strong onions that day (Skyline 4-way will do the trick). Alot of the times I'm usually much better looking (taller, longer legs, clearer skin - sort of like Jean Shrimpton... but I keep my breasts! ) in my dreams.

I hardly ever dream about baseball anymore - except for last years' fantasy with Bronson --- which I didn't see myself! Not even the team winning the WS.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

My dreams are usually REALLY weird and out there. A lot more lately I've had death dreams too, where it will be so vivid, I'll kind of get a feeling of leaving my body, which almost always wakes me up.

Are any of you guys Lucid Dreamers? It's pretty cool stuff how the brain can work when channeled. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

I couldn't remember a single detail of any dream even if my life depended on it.

Out of curiousity - those of you with vivid dreams - are you deep sleepers or light sleepers? I get in bed and generally go into a coma. My wife, however, is a very light sleeper and she's always telling me about her dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I couldn't remember a single detail of any dream even if my life depended on it.

Out of curiousity - those of you with vivid dreams - are you deep sleepers or light sleepers? I get in bed and generally go into a coma. My wife, however, is a very light sleeper and she's always telling me about her dreams.
    I'm a very deep sleeper, but I remember most of my dreams.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Don't know if it's true, but I had heard that it is common for women to remember their dreams and for men to forget them not long after waking.

I am a very light sleeper and I hardly ever remember my dreams. They only ones I remember are the scary ones which cause me to awake in fear as I try to come to my senses and figure out that what just happened was not real.

Twice in the last few months I have had dreams about the world ending (too much Nat'l Geographic channel, I guess). Both times it took me a few minutes to realize it was just a dream when I awoke. Really shook me up as I thought about losing my loved ones. Because it took me so long to realize it was just a dream it made me remember it. Any other dream has left my memory banks by the time my feet hit the floor to shut off the alarm clock.

You only dream right before you are going to wake up. Your brain is warming up to be awake again and that is when we dream. We don't dream during rem sleep form what I remember from school.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I have strange dreams all the time, but generally only remember them if I think about them immediately after waking up. If I sit there and think "gee that was weird" and think about what happened in the dream, I'll remember much of it; if I go straight to the shower or don't try to remember what happen, then later if something comes back to me, I'll only remember a small bit of the dream.

Most of my dreams seem to be of people from my past juxtaposed with people I know now. It usually involves being in marching band, either in high school or college (real experiences.) If I'm dreaming about high school, there are people from college in it, and if I'm dreaming about being at UK, it usually involves people from high school. Add in a few people I work with now or in the last few years, and it's often just a weird combination of people, many of whom I haven't seen or thought about for more than a decade, especially the one I had a couple nights ago.

It seems like whenever I awake from a dream, I always think "that was weird" and never seem to think any of them are "normal."

I do sometimes realize I'm dreaming, and that's kind of fun, though I usually wake up shortly after that happens.

And sometimes, I wake up after one dream, go to the bathroom or get a drink of water, go back to sleep and have another dream.

(And btw, didn't Louis Armstrong sing "dream a little dream of me"? At least that's the version I know.)

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    You only dream right before you are going to wake up. Your brain is warming up to be awake again and that is when we dream. We don't dream during rem sleep form what I remember from school.
    Actually REM (not the poster ) is when you do dream.

You cycle through REM every 90 minutes or so during the night, which is why people have multiple dreams. Most people end up dreaming close to 100 minutes a night. If you wake up after REM, you're more likely to remember dreams. I tend to wake up a lot during the night.

Back in college I had a class that studied dreams, etc. We had to keep paper and pencil by our beds and jot down what we remembered whenever we woke up. It's amazing what a word or two will help you remember in the morning.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Dream-Related Questions
    What is the average amount of dreams a person usually has in one night?
    The average person has about 3 to 5 dreams per night, but some may have up to 7 dreams in one night. The dreams tend to last longer as the night progresses. During a full 8-hour night sleep, two hours of it is spent dreaming.
    Please tell me is it unusual for an individual to have multiple dreams during the course of one night's sleep? Is this normal? I normally dream two or three dreams in one night.
    It is not at all unusual for a person to have more than one dream per night. In fact, it is perfectly normal! The trick is remembering all your dreams. Some people have trouble remembering one single dream, let alone multiple dreams.
    Does a person dream all night? If not, when do they?
    No, a person does not spend the entire night dreaming. A person spends about two hours in the dream state per night. A person moves through the four stages of the sleep cycle throughout the night. In the final stage of the sleep cycle (referred to as REM sleep) is where dreaming occurs. Each cycle of sleep lasts anywhere from 60-90 minutes and then will repeat itself throughout the night.
    Would you please tell me why people do not dream?
    Everybody dreams! This is a scientifically proven fact. Research has shown that all human beings in a study showed brain activity during their sleep. Just because you cannot remember your dreams does not mean that you do not dream. So why is it that some people don't remember their dream? This may be attributed to alcohol consumption, certain antibiotics, fever, lack of sleep, high levels of stress, and/or unconscious fears about the content of your dreams. Some researchers believe that certain people have a genetic disposition to forget their dreams as they come out of their sleep.
    Do children's dreams mean the same as adults? If not what is the difference?
    Dreams often reflect our experiences and life concerns. For this reason, children's dreams are different then the dreams of adults. The dreams of young children (3-5 year olds) usually have no real story line or any strong emotional content. Children around this age also frequently experience nightmares relating to their fears (strangers, monsters, loud noises, etc.) By the time children reaches their teen years, their dream patterns are matched closer to that of adults.
    Is it true that some dreams can predict the future?
    There is no scientific proof that dreams can predict and foretell the future. Yes, many people have had dreams that eventually came true afterwards. This can be explained in how we unconsciously gather little information here and there and when you have a dream, it puts together all this unconscious information before you are consciously able to do so. In short, you unconsciously already know what was going to happen and it only appears as if the dream had predicted the future. Another explanation is that such dream are mere coincidences or is the faulty memory of the dreamer.
    Why do you think that we have dreams?
    This is still an unresolved topic amongst researchers as to the reason we have dreams. One theory suggests that dreams serve as a means for cleansing and release. During the day, we may hold back our feelings and repress our anger. Thus dreams serve as a safe outlet for us to release our negative emotions. Another theory says that dreams is a biologically necessary aspect of sleep. Research has shown that people who were prevented from entering the dream state and woken up before they can dream were more easily irritated, jittery, and performed far below average. I believe these are two theories summarize why we dream.
    Do dreams have any significance?
    Yes dreams have a significance. The images in our dreams always contain hidden meaning which goes far beyond the outer appearance. The language of dreams is symbolic and are not to be taken literally.
    The significance of dreams is personal and dependent on your own personal experiences. However, there are many universal symbols.
    What causes or why do some dreams keep repeating themselves?
    Dreams that recur (or repeat themselves) is a clear indication that some issue is not being confronted or that it has not yet been resolved. Your anxieties about a certain situation that you are struggling with may also cause you to have recurring dreams.
    Do we dream in black and white or color, or does it mean anything if we dream one way or the other?
    Most people do dream in color, but some may not notice colors in their dreams. Because color is such a natural part of our visual experience, we sometimes overlook colors in our dreams. Another reason may have to do with how our dreams fades so quickly from our memory upon waking that when we may be able to recall the dream in shades of gray. However, the dreams that are in black and white can be an indication of a depressed or sadden mood.
    I heard from a friend that the more senses you can experience in dreams (colors, smell, etc), the greater your intelligence is in general. Do you know anything about this?
    I have never heard that the more senses you experience in your dream is correlated with your intelligence. The way we process our senses varies from individual to individual and does not necessarily have to do with intelligence. However, it is correct to say that most people recall the visual and auditory aspects of their dreams. Touch, smell, and taste tend to be secondary unless it happens to be a central component of the dream. Or unless the person is visually impaired, In this case, sense of feel and/or smell will be dominate.
    Do animal dreams?
    Similar to humans, all other mammals exhibit the same brain activity during sleep. But the extent and nature of their dreams is another questions.
    I've been checking out you web site since I found it a few day ago. I must say that your site is great!!! But I still don't understand what REM sleep is. Does it refer to deep sleeping?
    Yes, the REM stage of sleep is where you achieve your deepest sleep. It is also the final stage in the sleep cycle. REM which stands for Rapid Eye Movement is so called because in this stage of sleep, your eyes move rapidly back and forth under your eyelids. It is also in REM sleep that you experience all your vivid, and sometimes bizarre dreams.
    How can our daily activities effect our dreams?
    Whenever you suppress your feelings throughout the day, it has a very good chance of showing up in your dream. For example, if you wanted to express your anger toward someone and then refrain from doing so, then your suppressed anger may show up in your dream in some symbolic form. Traumatic experiences also have a way to affect the content of your dreams.
    Are there any differences in male and female dream patterns?
    If, by dream patterns, you mean brain wave activity while in the dream state, then the answer is no. There are no difference between male and female dream patterns. However, if your are referring to the content of the dream, then the answer is yes. Studies have shown that men tend to dream more about men, while women dream about both men and women equally. This makes perfect sense when you think about it. Dreams are often seen as aspect of yourselves. For a man to dream about a woman, indicates that he is acknowledging some feminine aspect of his own self, which is difficult for men to admit that they have a soften feminine side to begin with.
    Is it normal only to remember nightmares and never a good dream?
    It is not a question of whether or not it is normal to remember only your nightmares, but why you remember your nightmares as opposed to your other dreams. Nightmares are much easier to remember for several reasons. First nightmares are vivid, frightening, and often jolt you awake. Whenever you are awakened in the REM stage
    of sleep, you are much more likely to recall the events of your nightmare. Secondly, nightmares tend to occur in the early morning hours, when you are about to wake up. Remembering your dreams can take some effort on your part and not a question of normality.
    What does it mean to have a dream within a dream?
    Having a dream within a dream may be safer and more acceptable way to express material from your unconscious. The dream within a dream protects you, the dreamer from waking up. Such dreams often reflect a hidden but crucial issue which you need to acknowledge and confront.
    Is it possible to die (not really die in real life) in your our dreams?
    Yes, it is possible to experience death in your dreams. Dreams of death often occur as a result of great stress caused by relationships, school, career changes, depression or by the approach of death itself. Death in dreams may also be viewed as a metaphor - as a new beginning or a time of renewal. Judging from your question, I am assuming you never have had a dream about dying.
    I frequently have dreams that something happens like a gun shot, I fall or something that would make me jerk. I really do jerk and usually wake up. What's with that? Like why do I jerk and wake up when something like that happens in my dream?
    There is actually a term to describe what you are experiencing in your dream. It is called myclonic
    jerks. Many who dream that they are falling sometimes jerk or twitch their legs/arms and end up waking themselves up. There is no concrete reason as to why this happens. One theory is that it is our instinctive response for what the brain perceives as
    a potentially dangerous situation. Sometimes dreams are so real that the brain believes that you are really falling or in some sort of danger. And hence the brain sends signals to the body to start "fleeing".

Turn Off Ads?