Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardado Signed to a Minor League Deal

Guardado Signed to a Minor League Deal

He also gets an invitation to spring training. Good move in my mind.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guardado Signed to a Minor League Deal

Good to have Everyday Eddie back.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Retired

Low risk with a good upside, not a bad move.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

way to ruin the Super Bowl media day.. couldn't the breaking news wait till Monday? The nerve of the front office!

Welcome back Every Day Eddie. I like the move.

I like how the deal is structured to save a 40 man roster space and the 2008 club option.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/conte...4/c1794360.jsp
    Reds invite injured Guardado to camp
    02/04/2007 6:30 PM ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Reds don't have a closer for Opening Day, but they could have one before the All-Star break.
    For that kind of opportunity, Cincinnati was willing to take a chance.

On Sunday, the club signed injured closer Eddie Guardado to a Minor League contract and invited him to big-league camp at Spring Training.

The signing will likely be announced on Monday.

According to a source, Guardado will earn a $500,000 base salary if retained on the Major League roster. The lefty can get up to $3 million if he's healthy and is the Reds' closer before the All-Star break.

But that isn't quite a sure thing.

Guardado is coming off September ligament replacement surgery on his throwing elbow. Recovery and rehabilitation often takes between nine and 12 months.

Cincinnati acquired Guardado from the Mariners on July 6 for Minor League pitcher Travis Chick. He earned $6.25 million last year.

The 36-year-old Guardado had lost his closer's role in Seattle but solidified the Reds bullpen by converting eight of 10 save chances with a 1.29 ERA in 15 appearances.

The nice run ended when Guardado blew out his left elbow on Aug. 19.

With this deal, which comes with a club option for 2008, the Reds wouldn't have to use up a 40-man roster spot for Guardado during camp. They would have the option of placing him on the 60-day disabled list when the season opens, which also would not tie up a roster spot.

The Reds haven't named a closer for their Major League roster. General manager Wayne Krivsky and manager Jerry Narron have previously said that right-hander David Weathers and lefty Mike Stanton would likely share the ninth-inning role with young lefty Bill Bray and others also in the mix.

Complete coverage >
    Guardado, who broke into the Majors in 1993 with the Twins, is a two-time All-Star with a career high of 45 saves.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Very good move. I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Can't hurt

It seemed the bullpen was at its best when he was there - he seemed to do a very apt job of rallying up the other BPers when it was showtime.

a long shot but who knows. As far as I know he still has the shoulder problem that has never been repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    a long shot but who knows. As far as I know he still has the shoulder problem that has never been repaired.
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Low risk with a good upside, not a bad move.
    I have no problem with this move at all (I like Eddie alot) but in fact, it's a low risk move on a player projected to be mostly downside (Pecota's collapse rate is 46%)....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Zoinks!

this move is a no-brainer. I like it.
    Last edited by minus5; 02-05-2007 at 11:30 AM.

If Guardado is healthy(iffy at best) and at his best he's damn good. Look at what he did with a bad elbow. If the Reds can just stay in the race until he gets back and Cormier, Stanton, Bray, and et al hold down the fort until then and the Reds can create some offense(again, ify at best) and the pitching doesn't implode(not so iffy) the Reds have a real chance. Play solid .500 ball until Guardado gets back and there will be very few leads lost in the late innings like last season. Some of the relief staff is older than Moses but pretty solid. They will surprise, I guarantee it.

No risk and potentially a steal (though I expect nothing since older TJ victims aren't the best candidates for coming back from these things), but WK should be trying to address other areas of the team as well. How much time has he spent on the bullpen since he got here? My Lord..

Turn Off Ads?