Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Super Bowl Critique

Re: Super Bowl Critique

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Marvin Lewis should take a long look at how the Colts do things. The Colts have had a few minor flare ups but over all they have good players who are also good citizens. Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, and the like would not have been drafted by the Colts who value character as well as ability. The Colts are a class organization the Bengals if they were smart would follow thier lead. I am proud to be a Colts fan.
    Wasn't Mike Doss up on gun charges? The Bengals had a bad year, character-wise, but I would be careful about holding up any team as a paragon of class. All it takes is for a few guys to get picked up for drunk driving and your team is the next talk-show fodder. I'd bet its more likely than not that the Colts have a few guys that can't hand over the keys after having a few. Not picking on the Colts, but I suspect it's a league-wide issue. This year it was the Bengals who had a number of guys get nabbed, next year it will be someone else.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post

BTW - Hey, Baltimore. Remember when Modell held the Lombardi Trophy? Sucks with it being in the hands of an Irsay, huh? Turnabout is fair play.
    Yeah, I remember the big deal Baltimore Raven fans made a few weeks ago when the Ravens hosted the Colts in a playoff game about how horrible the Irsays were in moving the Colts from Baltimore. Fine, Baltimore then welcomed Modell.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    These guys are certainly in the discussion if you're talking awful in the absolute sense:

Rich Gannon - SB 37

Kerry Collins - SB 35

Neil O'Donnell - SB 30

Elway had absolutely miserable games in SB 22 & SB 24. Craig Morton (4/15 w/ 4 Ints) in SB 12 has quite possibly the worst QB line in any Super Bowl.
    The Dolphins' David Woodley in Super Bowl 17 has to be in this discussion:

4-14, 97 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

And 76 yards came on one TD pass to Jimmy Cefalo. And he didn't have ONE single completion in the 2nd half. Take out that TD pass and you've got 3-13 for 21 yards and 1 INT.

Don Strock relieved him and went 0-3. So a combined effort of 4-17.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Marvin Lewis should take a long look at how the Colts do things. The Colts have had a few minor flare ups but over all they have good players who are also good citizens. Chris Henry, Odell Thurman, and the like would not have been drafted by the Colts who value character as well as ability. The Colts are a class organization the Bengals if they were smart would follow thier lead. I am proud to be a Colts fan.
    I think Tony Dungy put it best yesterday at the Victory Celebration when he made the comment that not only was this team full of great football players but there was not one single individual on the team you would not be proud to have as a son. I think thats why Indy has really embraced the Colts over the past few years and have recently thrown the Pacers and their hoodlums under the bus, for years it was the other way around.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Looks like the worries about this being a low rated Super Bowl because it involved 2 Midwest teams were unfounded. 2nd highest rated Super Bowl ever and 3rd highest rated TV show ever.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070205/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Wasn't Mike Doss up on gun charges? The Bengals had a bad year, character-wise, but I would be careful about holding up any team as a paragon of class. All it takes is for a few guys to get picked up for drunk driving and your team is the next talk-show fodder. I'd bet its more likely than not that the Colts have a few guys that can't hand over the keys after having a few. Not picking on the Colts, but I suspect it's a league-wide issue. This year it was the Bengals who had a number of guys get nabbed, next year it will be someone else.
    Funny that you mention him. I was at the parade and in the dome yesterday and the one guy acting inappropriately was Mike Doss. At one point he jumped up to where the cheerleaders were and was....I'll say dancing very suggestively with them, and they didn't look too happy about it. I don't have kids yet so my buddies and I thought it was kind of funny but my wife didn't and I don't think it was appropriate for a family event.

And the point you're making is why I've been very careful not to bash the Bengals (atleast for the arrests). While I do think that the Colts' front office does draft players on character more than most teams, I really don't think you can always predict how a person is going to react when they get that money in the bank.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 02-06-2007 at 05:53 PM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    Funny that you mention him. I was at the parade and in the dome yesterday and the one guy acting inappropriately was Mike Doss. At one point he jumped up to where the cheerleaders were and was....I'll say dancing very suggestively with them, and they didn't look too happy about it. I don't have kids yet so my buddies and I thought it was kind of funny but my wife didn't and I don't think it was appropriate for a family event.

And the point you're making is why I've been very careful not to bash the Bengals too much (atleast for the arrests). While I do think that the Colts' front office does draft players on character more than most teams, I really don't think you can always predict how a person is going to react when they get that money in the bank.
    Exactly. You can think that you are doing your homework and picking guys with character, but you really never know what might come. Look at Kirby Puckett. He was highly regarded for his great "character" and then you later hear about his dirty laundry and he suddenly he doesn't seem like such a great guy. A lot of people adored OJ Simpson until the double murder.

When the Bengals brought the guys who have gotten arrested, I'm sure they looked at their character. It's just that some of these guys are the type where you couldn't have predicted that they would have gotten in trouble and the others are of the type where you are willing to chalk up their past issues to youthful indiscretion and give them a shot in hopes that they've learned from the mistakes. The Bengals got burned this year. Next year it will be someone else, and many of the guys who get arrested will be guys you wouldn't have expected.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Mike Doss also will not be here next year and if he was not injured he might have already been cut. Dom Rhodes and former Bengal DeDe Dorsey also had minor incidents this past year but overall teams like the Colts and Patriots seem to do a better job dealing with and getting rid of questionable character guys.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?