Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Advertising

Re: Super Bowl Advertising

Like I mentioned before, I found the violence level of the ads shocking.

Between the slapping, rock throwing, pulling out chest hairs, jumping off cliffs, getting killed by a meteorite, etc., there were many times where my jar dropped and I thought "*this* is supposed to be funny?". I didn't find it funny at all.

This article at NYT talks about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/bu...ei=5087%0A
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Like I mentioned before, I found the violence level of the ads shocking.

Between the slapping, rock throwing, pulling out chest hairs, jumping off cliffs, getting killed by a meteorite, etc., there were many times where my jar dropped and I thought "*this* is supposed to be funny?". I didn't find it funny at all.

This article at NYT talks about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/05/bu...8e3&ei=5087%0A
    I was at work for the first 1/2 of the game. The young airmen were laughing like fools at all that violence. And they gave a big ewwww at the Snickers commercial.

Sometimes I feel so dang old. And evolved.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Goulet skittering across the ceiling is an enduring image.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'll never eat another snickers bar.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

The rock/paper/scissors commercial was really dumb, and unfunny.

Is that the best these people can come up with for millions of dollars of air time?

It's not that anyone's getting old, it's really that the ads were incredibly lame and the advertising industry is quickly running out of ideas....like Hollwyood did years ago.

I do thank the Gods we didn't have to listen to that annoying John Cougar song at all last night (at least I didn't). I am very thankful for that.

The game wasn't so bad, the rain really hampered it quite a bit obviously. I was rootin' for the Colts though.

I'm toolsy.

The ad where the car building robot lost it's job was touching. I almost felt sorry for the poor thing.

One thing I noticed is that all the Coke ads featured Coke in a glass bottle.

I wish!

(Yes, I know they still sell it in the little bottles as a novelty at about $5 a six pack.)

Soda and milk. Two things that tastes better from a glass bottle.

I guess I'm old too. Humbug!
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRedsGM View Post
    The ad where the car building robot lost it's job was touching. I almost felt sorry for the poor thing.
    That was my favorite of the night.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    One thing I noticed is that all the Coke ads featured Coke in a glass bottle.

I wish!

(Yes, I know they still sell it in the little bottles as a novelty at about $5 a six pack.)

Soda and milk. Two things that tastes better from a glass bottle.

I guess I'm old too. Humbug!
    I'll agree with you on that.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I liked Mr. Turkey Neck.

I went to the bathroom during the robot, but my wife nearly cried over it.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

the Robert Goulet "Emerald Nuts" ad, which won in my mind for running with such an amazingly random concept and making it work

I also REALLY liked the K-Fed ad with him rapping into a security camera at a fast food joint.
    These were the only two that I found enjoyable at all.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    I thought the commercials were generally lame this year, too. I didn't hate the Bud Light "Crab" ad, but there's no way it was the best.

I liked the Blockbuster "use the mouse" ad. We cracked up when the rabbit was sliding that mouse back and forth.

Careerbuilder.com had the best series of ads, I thought. Those guys getting netted for a "volunteer" event was hilarious.

Bud was just so-so. (The Rock/Paper/Scissor ad was a rip-off of the Sprint ad when the guy throws his phone at the other guy.) Coke seemed pointless...but the video game one was interesting. I couldn't believe Coke did an ad featuring a man who had never had one.

Goulet gets an honorable mention. How can you NOT like Robert Goulet??
    I didn't think they were all that bad either. I think everyone's expectations are a little overblown. I liked the Careerbuilder ads and I was glad they didn't use the monkeys again (That'd be 3 years in a row, wouldn't it?) I especially liked the line "Sign out, please." from the security guard just before they all ran off the cliff.

Bud's ads were ok...I liked the muddy dog imitating a dalmation better than the crabs worshiping the cooler, tho. Laughed at the rock, paper, scissors ad, but it was just the way the guy arched over backward as he fell over. Slapstick always gets me...

My favorite was actually the Car-r-r-r-r-ne Asada ad from Taco Bell. Like Ricardo Montalban. Ricardo Montalban? followed by Ricardo Montalban's unmistakable voice. C'mon, it was funny! Lighten up!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I think the Snickers commercial could have been funny if they would have gone somewhere with it. They couldn't think of anything better than pulling out some chest hair? I heard on the radio today that it was pulled because it was anti-gay and MARS inc. apologized for offending anyone. They should have apologized for it not being funny
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

My favorite was the Bud Light hitchhiker one.

"But he has a chainsaw!"

I was cracking up at that.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Sorry if I am raining on anyone's parade...but what a underwhelming Super Bowl on sunday....and to top it off the commercials were lackluster too...I didnt find any of the commercials entertaining or having any "wow" factor except for the Letterman/Oprah promo....I cant believe that the rating was so high for the game...apparently the third highest super bowl of all time...amazing...

Turn Off Ads?