Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Advertising

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Super Bowl Advertising

Every year, USA Today has viewers rank the best ads in the Super Bowl -- the chart of the winning ads is here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...er-chart_x.htm

Personally, I thought most of the ads this past year were crap. Most of the Bud ads (especially the "Crab" one that scored the highest) seemed just a little off this year.

My two favorite ads didn't make the Top 10: the Robert Goulet "Emerald Nuts" ad, which won in my mind for running with such an amazingly random concept and making it work, and the Coca-Cola "Grand Theft Auto" good deeds commercial, which is a total riot if you've ever played any of the video games. I also REALLY liked the K-Fed ad with him rapping into a security camera at a fast food joint.

So, what were the favorites around here?

Budweiser wins with crabby crawlers as Anheuser-Busch takes seven of top 10
    By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Anheuser-Busch continued its Super Bowl ad supremacy with a commercial that pure and simple made folks smile.

For a record ninth-consecutive year, the beer giant won USA TODAY'S exclusive Ad Meter real-time consumer focus group ranking of Super Bowl commercials.

The winning ad featured a group of computer-generated crabs on the beach bowing down at the altar of an ice chest filled with Budweiser. The red chest with two Buds for antennae looks like a giant crab — which a crab army worships as the sun sets behind it. That's the kind of gentle, visual humor folks apparently wanted most this year.

Folks such as Doyle Wind. The retired bread salesman from Houston says he particularly objects to ads with violence in light of the Iraq war. "My next door neighbor has three sons over there right now," he says. "The way things are going now, we don't need to be reminded of all that. There's too much sadness now in the country. I guess that's why I enjoy the funny (ads) more."

The crab ad aired in the fourth quarter, becoming the first Ad Meter winner from that late in the game. A-B also walked off with four of the top five-rated commercials. And seven of the top 10.

The crustaceans' visual humor has another advantage after Sunday for the international brewer. Explains Bob Lachky, A-B creative chief, at A-B: 'We try to find something that will play around the world."

This year, the usual array of humorous Super Bowl commercials had to fight off surprising competition from ads that made folks feel warm and fuzzy. But in the end, viewers wanted to laugh.

"Humor gets me over anything — not stupid humor," says Kathleen Stobie, a Silver Spring, Md., resident who is a coordinator with her county government.

By contrast, slapstick violence sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Panelists loved the Bud Light ad about a guy who takes a Rock, Paper, Scissors game too literally — and tosses a real rock to win a Bud Light. It finished third.

But they had little patience with another Bud Light ad featuring people who replace fist pumps with a series of face slaps.

With U.S. beer sales growth flat — particularly domestic brews — A-B once again went all out to win the Super Bowl of advertising. It broadcast nine commercials over five minutes of multimillion-dollar air time.

But the unusually high ranking of a Doritos commercial about a Doritos-eating guy who is distracted by a cute girl — the winner of an online contest for amateur videos — may shake up the future of Super Bowl advertising.

It's the first time a major marketer entrusted a Super Bowl spot fetching up to $2.6 million for 30 seconds of air time to a novice.

The fourth-place spot was filmed for $12 — the price of the four bags of Doritos. Compare that with those it beat, several special effects-laden pro spots costing upwards of $1 million to make.

This also was the first year in which a majority of marketers clearly felt compelled to air commercials aimed at driving consumer to their websites. With ad rates at record levels and consumer eyes increasingly straying from the TV screen to the computer screen, marketers are looking to have their messages have traction beyond the big game. website names were attached to virtually every ad.

If ever there was a Super Bowl whose messages were directly aimed at the twentysomething and under crowd, this was it. That's why a Coke ad had the feel of a video game. It's why Chevrolet put young girls in a car in Manhattan that is swarmed by bare-chested guys. And it's why Nationwide chose Kevin Federline, Britney Spear's estranged hubby.

Call it the Anything For Attention Bowl. Many marketers took the low road for that attention. Snickers had two men kissing over a candy bar. A-B filled most of 30 seconds with face-slapping. And GoDaddy.com offered-up a sanitized version of a wet T-shirt contest.

It's as if some marketers momentarily forgot how turned-off Super Bowl viewers were three years ago by the attention-getting gambit of Janet Jackson's half-time wardrobe malfunction that bared one breast.

Apparently, just about anything that's edgy — if not bizarre — is getting Madison Avenue's green light, again.

But once again, automakers couldn't buy a break. Despite six ads from three car companies, none made the viewers' top 10.

Augustina Foglietta, an accountant from Houston, summed up the feeling of many about car commercials. "Hate 'em," she says. "I think they're boring, and there's just too many of 'em."
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 02-05-2007 at 07:58 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Super Bowl Advertising

Most were pretty ho-hum IMO. Liked the Bud Light one though with the two gorillas in the zoo.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Definitely ho-hum... however, I want to "work" in godaddy.com's marketing department.

It's getting to the point where I am going to be watching the game and taking my breaks during the commercials during the Super Bowl.

Most i thought were boring but the k-fed was kinda funny . other than that nothing really stood out to me .But i'll second the i want to work in the godaddy.com in the marketing department.

I officially am a grumpy old man. I found very few SB commercials entertaining and too many violent or just un-funny.

Get off my lawn.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Bunch of "commercial people" might be looking for jobs this morning. For Super Bowl commercials, last night's collection was pretty bad.

I liked the Coca Cola GTA themed one... The Crab one wasn't as bad as some of the others...

Really disliked the Snickers one, and the face slapping one, and... wait... I don't have enough time to type out all the ones I disliked...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I was surprised that Coke aired that "Grand Theft Auto" spot. It's been used as a commercial for several months in movie theaters.

I did like the Kevin Federline ad- probably more so if there wasn't so much publicity about it and I knew everything about it before it aired.

I wish careerbuilder.com would go back to using the monkeys in the office. I couldn't believe they showed three different spots with the office workers in the woods- none of which was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in IL View Post
    I wish careerbuilder.com would go back to using the monkeys in the office. I couldn't believe they showed three different spots with the office workers in the woods- none of which was funny.
    I agree with you, except that "He's ready for you now, you need to take off your shirt" line was pretty good.

I'm with my boss on this one. If I had the choice between watching a great Super Bowl with bad commercials or a bad Super Bowl with great commercials, I'll take the great Super Bowl. While I enjoy a clever ad like anyone else, a compelling game on the field is what keeps me tuned in.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I thought the Coke "inside the machine" one was kind of cute.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm with my boss on this one. If I had the choice between watching a great Super Bowl with bad commercials or a bad Super Bowl with great commercials, I'll take the great Super Bowl. While I enjoy a clever ad like anyone else, a compelling game on the field is what keeps me tuned in.
    Unfortunately, I don't think we got either last night (unless you are a Colts fan).
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Not really a commercial, but the best one was Letterman and Oprah snuggling on the couch watching the game.

Next best was Goulet.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I thought the commercials were generally lame this year, too. I didn't hate the Bud Light "Crab" ad, but there's no way it was the best.

I liked the Blockbuster "use the mouse" ad. We cracked up when the rabbit was sliding that mouse back and forth.

Careerbuilder.com had the best series of ads, I thought. Those guys getting netted for a "volunteer" event was hilarious.

Bud was just so-so. (The Rock/Paper/Scissor ad was a rip-off of the Sprint ad when the guy throws his phone at the other guy.) Coke seemed pointless...but the video game one was interesting. I couldn't believe Coke did an ad featuring a man who had never had one.

Goulet gets an honorable mention. How can you NOT like Robert Goulet??

Turn Off Ads?