Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Prospect Profile: Pete Rose, Jr.

Prospect Profile: Pete Rose, Jr.

Name: Peter E. Rose, Jr.
    Date of Birth: November 16, 1969
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 180 lbs.
    Bats: left
    Throws: right
    Position: first base
    Team: Bridgeport Bluefish
    Draft: 12th round (#295 overall) by Balitmore Orioles in 1988 amateur draft
    School: Oak Hills High School (Cincinnati, Ohio)
    How Acquired: currently unaffiliated with the Reds; due to him having signed with the Reds six times, I can only assume he'll come back a seventh time

Bio: Pete Rose, Jr. is most famously known as being the son of the Hit King, Pete Rose. He was drafted by the Orioles after a moderately impressive high school career. His first performances in professional baseball were sub-par, and he was subsequently traded to the White Sox for now-Indians closer Joe Borowski. However, before playing in the White Sox organization, he was taken in the minor league portion of the rule five draft by the Cleveland Indians. A couple years of mediocre performance prompted him to sign with the White Sox, the only team to have traded him. In limited playing time, he showed some progress, but it was certainly nothing to write home about. At the age of 26, people were already talking to him about pursuing other avenues, but the famous Rose stubbornness for which everyone knows his father was apparently passed on to PJ, and he decided to sign with the team with which he grew up: the Cincinnati Reds. Instantly, he played like a champ. In 445 at-bats, he hit .308 with 25 homeruns, and the organization was thrilled. Still not seen as Major Leaguer, the Reds were reluctant to bring him up, but in September, largely in part due to the unending probing from fans, Rose was ultimately recalled. Rose batted .143 in 11 games and struck out nine times in his 14 at-bats. As was suspected, Rose was apparently not ready for Major League pitching and was later released. Still, Rose had a dream and continued to work toward it. Unfortunately, after going through several stints with the Pirates, Dodgers, Phillies, Rockies, various independent leagues, and multiple re-signings with the Reds, he never recaptured his 1997 form.

The past couple years have seen some trails and tribulations for Rose, Jr. In 2005, he was indicted for distributing GBL, a steroid alternative. Again, in May of 2006, he was charged with distributing GBL and was sentenced to a month in federal prison. Interestingly enough, a month prior, Pete Rose, Sr. had given a speech to PJ's team, telling them that if they had to choose between gambling and drug use, they should opt for drug use, since MLB welcomes back those players with open arms.

Still, despite the setbacks, Rose, Jr. continued to play for the Bridgeport Bluefish in the Atlantic League. He had a productive year as his team won the North division on a roster including such players as Deivi Cruz, Damian Rolls, Angel Echeverria, Edgardo Alfonzo, Matt Anderson, Brian Boehringer, Will Cunnane, Jimmy Journell, T.J. Mathews, Phil Norton, Donovan Osborne, and Jason Simontacchi.

All things considered, Pete Rose, Jr.'s prime is likely long gone, and he will most likely not return to the Major Leagues. However, with his resilience, we may never know. Although technically, he is not a Reds prospect, I'm keeping my hopes up that Rose, Jr. will build on his success in the independent Atlantic League and find a way back on to the Reds roster.

Career Stats: (Major League)
    Code:
     G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO  AVG  OBP  SLG
    11 14 2 2  0  0  0   0  0  0  2  9 .143 .250 .143
    2006 Stats (Atlantic League)
    Code:
     G  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO  AVG  OBP  SLG
    50 194 29 58 12  0  7  33  0  0 15 20 .299 .356 .469

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Profile: Pete Rose, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Although technically, he is not a Reds prospect, I'm keeping my hopes up that Rose, Jr. will build on his success in the independent Atlantic League and find a way back on to the Reds roster.
    Because the Dick Pole jokes aren't satisfying enough?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Today, the Long Island Ducks made a big announcement: The signing of Pete Rose, Jr.! In an exciting day for baseball fans everywhere, it appears that Rose's journey back to being a top prospect has picked up pace. With a few months of high performance, hustle, playing the game the right way, and not clogging the bases, we may see Rose back in a Reds uniform just yet. Here's hoping . . .

http://www.liducks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=news
    (Central Islip, N.Y., Mar. 5, 2008) – The Long Island Ducks today announced the signing of infielders P.J. Rose and Ray Navarrete. Both were key members of the Ducks lineup in 2007, contributing with some of the best offensive numbers of their careers. Rose hit .342, set a new career high and Ducks record with 155 hits, posted 14 home runs and drove in 95. The 19-year-veteran’s batting average was good for fourth in the Atlantic League, and his RBI total was the second-highest in team history. Navarrete broke the league record with 42 doubles, hitting .307 on the year.

“P.J. not only brings great production to our team, he’s also an incredible leader in the clubhouse,” says Ducks manager Dave LaPoint. “Ray is a terrific talent who hustles out every play, and leads by example on the field. We’re very excited to have both of these guys back with us this season.”

Rose is a veteran of 1,779 minor league games, including 235 with the Ducks in 2005 and 2007. Last season, he finished second in the Atlantic League in hits (155). The Cincinnati native’s best season came in 1997, when a .308 average, 25 home runs, 31 doubles, and 98 RBI with Chattanooga (AA, Reds) earned him a September call-up to the big leagues, where he appeared in 11 contests with his hometown team, the Cincinnati Reds. Rose was originally drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 12th round of the 1988 draft.

New Jersey native Navarrete enjoyed a career year in 2007, his first full season with the Ducks. He tied a team record with 104 runs scored and finished fourth in the Atlantic League with 144 hits. The 29-year-old racked up 62 extra-base hits, slugged a career-high 18 home runs and collected 67 RBI. Navarrete has appeared in 841 minor league games, holding a career .280 batting average. He was signed as a non-drafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2000.

The Long Island Ducks play their home games at Citibank Park, and are entering their ninth season in the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. Season ticket packages for 2008 are currently available. For further information, visit www.liducks.com, or call (631) 940-3825.

It's P.J. Rose now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's P.J. Rose now?
    The 'Pete Rose' name has been tarnished, so he's trying to reinvent himself as 'P.J.' Rumor has it that it's derived from 'Peddler of Juice'.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The 'Pete Rose' name has been tarnished, so he's trying to reinvent himself as 'P.J.' Rumor has it that it's derived from 'Peddler of Juice'.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It's P.J. Rose now?
    It sounds younger, don't you think?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It sounds younger, don't you think?

Absolutely. A few years ago people were talking about how he would probably be a great coach and/or manager. Unfortunately he probably screwed the pooch with that steroid thing. I don't think any team in MLB would touch him now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It goes to show you it's not what you know it's who you know (or related to). I'd divorce my wife to get one game in pro ball.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Got to give him credit. He must love baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Got to give him credit. He must love baseball.
    Either that or he's still trying to please Daddy.

I know we like to make fun of these guys who stick around the minor leagues with apparently no hope of getting back to the Show but they just love playing ball and they are getting paid for it. Who's to say it's wrong to do that?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I know we like to make fun of these guys who stick around the minor leagues with apparently no hope of getting back to the Show but they just love playing ball and they are getting paid for it. Who's to say it's wrong to do that?
    Exactly. If it wasn't for work conflicting with the baseball schedule, I'd play as well. As it stands, I'll just have to settle for softball once a week.

If you love the game (and have the means) neither age nor level of play should matter (see Rickey Henderson).

He's probably saving up for the inevitable: When Daddy's dead, he'll be stuck with the horse racing tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Exactly. If it wasn't for work conflicting with the baseball schedule, I'd play as well. As it stands, I'll just have to settle for softball once a week.

http://www.ohiovillagemuffins.org/
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?