Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What major leaguer would you compare Bailey to?

What major leaguer would you compare Bailey to?

What current or former major leaguer would you compare homer bailey to ?

I saw one site suggested josh beckett. With a dominating fastball and a very good curveball makes me think alittle bit of nolan ryan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What major leaguer would you compare Bailey to?

Josh Beckett... which is my worry. Homer likes to throw his fastball all the time. That's what Beckett likes to do, except, Beckett gets knocked around every other outing because he throws his fastball too much.

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I saw one site suggested josh beckett. With a dominating fastball and a very good curveball makes me think alittle bit of nolan ryan.
    I'd say it's WAAAY to early to make those kind of comparisons. Let's let the kid get some MLB time under his belt before we jump on the "Ryan Express".

That being said, when Homer was coming to Louisville as part of the Winter Caravan, I asked one of my buddies (a Cardinals fan) if he wanted to go see the next Roger Clemens!!!!
    Last edited by FutureRedsGM; 02-06-2007 at 02:01 PM.

I hope he is a "Tall" version of Roy Oswalt.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

PECOTAs top three are Edwin Jackson, Jake Peavy and Rich Harden. Although the Jackson comp is trending down.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

What about a starter version of Trevor Hoffman? Hear me out.

Hoffman was converted to RP after a failed attempt as a SS i think it was. But that meant he (Hoffman) had to learn on the fly. Mid 90s fastball, probably better curveball than Bailey at this point, both learn the changeup basically on the fly.

Just my 2 cents looking at the stuff shown.

Jim Maloney, Fastball driven with a a deceptive curve when it works. Both came in as phenoms, both accelerated fast with a great second year compared to the first. Like Maloney chances are the situation will drive him to the Reds sooner then later. And likely similar to Maloney he won't BURST upon the scene like Gary Nolan, but he will display huge amounts of upside.

BTW 1966 Nolan Ryan in A ball - 17-2, 183 IP 272 K 127 BB (both leading the league)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Jim Maloney, Fastball driven with a a deceptive curve when it works. Both came in as phenoms, both accelerated fast with a great second year compared to the first. Like Maloney chances are the situation will drive him to the Reds sooner then later. And likely similar to Maloney he won't BURST upon the scene like Gary Nolan, but he will display huge amounts of upside.

BTW 1966 Nolan Ryan in A ball - 17-2, 183 IP 272 K 127 BB (both leading the league)
    I've been waiting for the second coming of Jim Maloney for years!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I've been waiting for the second coming of Jim Maloney for years!
    Maloney was the type of pitcher who you can find quotes from certain players or umps that tout him as the hardest throwing and best hurler in the league. I think he was the kind of pitcher who when he was on made folks see him in a different light. The guy had a bad year (compared to his salary and the league) in 1968 and the Reds offered him a 10 K pay cut.

And folks wonder why the union has strength and resolve.

What Major Leaguer plays in AA ball? I'm sorry, but I'm as optimistic as the next guy. But let me put a name of a minor league phenom pitcher out there for your consideration. Zach Greinke. How about a guy who actually pitched in the Bigs and was lights out for a while? Mark Fidrych. Anything can happen. Not a single pitch thrown above AA. Trying to make a comparison like that is like comparing Hendrix's guitar playing to Grandpa Jones banjo. Both great in their own way but not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    What Major Leaguer plays in AA ball? I'm sorry, but I'm as optimistic as the next guy. But let me put a name of a minor league phenom pitcher out there for your consideration. Zach Greinke. How about a guy who actually pitched in the Bigs and was lights out for a while? Mark Fidrych. Anything can happen. Not a single pitch thrown above AA. Trying to make a comparison like that is like comparing Hendrix's guitar playing to Grandpa Jones banjo. Both great in their own way but not the same.
    The only thing Greinke and Bailey have in common is that they were both pitching prospects. Bailey throws a lot harder than Greinke, and has a better curveball. Greinke also suffers from a condition, that likely led to his downfall after a pretty good rookie season.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The only thing Greinke and Bailey have in common is that they were both pitching prospects. Bailey throws a lot harder than Greinke, and has a better curveball. Greinke also suffers from a condition, that likely led to his downfall after a pretty good rookie season.
    That one thing they had in common is what I'm talking about. How many Cy Young votes did Todd Van Poppell or Bill Pulsipher ever receive? All it takes is one guy to notice he does such and such before he throws his fastball. Or he throws the deuce on every third pitch. Before the fans who have loved and lost so many times with this franchise gets their hopes up remember this. Norris Hopper has achieved more at a higher level than Homer Bailey has at this point and most people on this board think Hopper's crap. Let him have his 10 starts at AAA and if he's lights out, then let's bring him up and talk about him being the future of the franchise.

I think they played at Woodstock together...

That one thing they had in common is what I'm talking about. How many Cy Young votes did Todd Van Poppell or Bill Pulsipher ever receive? All it takes is one guy to notice he does such and such before he throws his fastball. Or he throws the deuce on every third pitch. Before the fans who have loved and lost so many times with this franchise gets their hopes up remember this. Norris Hopper has achieved more at a higher level than Homer Bailey has at this point and most people on this board think Hopper's crap. Let him have his 10 starts at AAA and if he's lights out, then let's bring him up and talk about him being the future of the franchise.
    And Norris Hopper is also about to enter this season at 28 years old. I also would argue that Norris Hopper has acheived a whole lot more than Bailey at a higher level. Norris Hopper never got close to dominating any level like Bailey just did to AA. Sure, there have been plenty of failed prospects, but there have been plenty of guys who were hyped from day 1 and produced right on line with their ability. I am not going to just toss an idea wayside because he hasnt been in the majors yet. I have seen him throw a baseball, and he throws it well. I think he needs some time in AAA, to get used to professional type hitters, but I dont think its going to affect him much. Remember, Bailey will probably start 6 games in AAA before he even turns 21. He is young, VERY young. He is the future of this franchise though, at least until he proves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think they played at Woodstock together...

OMG! That is classic!

Turn Off Ads?