Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    This is by no means an isolated incident. This will be a reoccuring theme across many sports talk shows, Redzone, etc. during the season. GL
    And I suggest that sucking up to the host, and being intellectually pursuaded by the hosts arguements are two different things.

I also suggest that one person, or even 10 people calling into a talkshow to suggest Steve Finley means nothing with regards to how many people are influenced by Marty. Considering that he "talks" to thousands of people, on a mostly nightly basis durring the season, and interacts with who knows how many at different promotional events I'd say the number of people who have been swayed by Marty's comments are statistically insignificant. So for all of Marty's alleged false idea starting, I'd say he's not doing a very good job of it if far less than 1% of people are swayed by his bizzare liking of Steve Finley.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-09-2007 at 04:38 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    And I suggest that sucking up to the host, and being intellectually pursuaded by the hosts arguements are two different things.
    I don't think they are being persuaded at all. I'd submit that Marty is the source of their opinion to begin with. A good percentage of casual fans can't even name the entire Reds starting lineup much less have an intellectually reasoned opinion on Steve Finely for Marty to persuade against.

Parrot:
    One who imitates the words or actions of another, especially without understanding them.

I also suggest that one person, or even 10 people calling into a talkshow to suggest Steve Finley means nothing with regards to how many people are influenced by Marty. Considering that he "talks" to thousands of people, on a mostly nightly basis durring the season, and interacts with who knows how many at different promotional events I'd say the number of people who have been swayed by Marty's comments are statistically insignificant.

So for all of Marty's alleged false idea starting, I'd say he's not doing a very good job of it if far less than 1% of people are swayed by bizzare liking of Steve Finley.
    I'd say you didn't get to that 1% figure very scientifically.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I don't think they are being persuaded at all. I'd submit that Marty is the source of their opinion to begin with. A good percentage of casual fans can't even name the entire Reds starting lineup much less have an intellectually reasoned opinion on Steve Finely for Marty to persuade against.

I'd say you didn't get to that 1% figure very scientifically.

GL
    I'd say there really isn't a way to gage it scientifically. So to say there this unseen flock of people who take everything he says at face value can not be proven any more than my 1% figure.

When there is more than a handfull of people on a radio show asking for Steve Finley's services then I think we'll have a far better argument as to where the ideas originated.

We've been down this road before and frankly I'm bored with it. You think he sucks, fine. I happen to like his style. Fine. Since the powers that be are happy with his performance, and continue to sign his paychecks, mostly our opinions are irrlevant.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-09-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

Marty said he's a huge Craig Wilson fan but he has serious man-love for Conine so it's all good. He compared him to Mr. Hat where they both give you professional ABs and go deep in the count. Marty said the Reds don't have very many hitters like that.
    Ah, the "professional at-bat." If only, say Adam Dunn, for example could go deep in the count like Mr. Conine and his 3.63 pitches per plate appearance last year. Oh wait, Dunn saw 4.10 P/PA, but I guess it's not a professional AB if the last pitch in the AB is strike 3.

(Sorry, I just wanted to join the snarkfest for a second.)

Thanks for the report as always, Chip - good stuff.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What good does strike 3 do?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    What good does strike 3 do?

Keeps Marty happy?
    -Air Supply

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I'd say there really isn't a way to gage it scientifically. So to say there this unseen flock of people who take everything he says at face value can not be proven any more than my 1% figure.

When there is more than a handfull of people on a radio show asking for Steve Finley's services then I think we'll have a far better argument as to where the ideas originated.
    Again, it doesn't seem to heat up until ST when Marty is on the radio on a nightly basis.

We've been down this road before and frankly I'm bored with it. You think he sucks, fine. I happen to like his style. Fine. Since the powers that be are happy with his performance, and continue to sign his paychecks, mostly our opinions are irrlevant.
    I have never said Marty sucks. Grumpy? Sure. Misguided at times? Sure. A underutilized marketing tool? Absolutely.

I don't care to listen to him much anymore, but I'll be giving him a shot with Thom in booth. Still, its obvious lots of people like what does and his is in the HOF.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I wonder how often Marty googles himself...
    I google myself in the shower all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Narron View Post
    I google myself in the shower all the time.
    Paying attention to the "little things" - right, Jerry?
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Paying attention to the "little things" - right, Jerry?
    Damn straight Rich.

Turn Off Ads?