Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite AI Judge

Favorite AI Judge

I realize I am in serrious jeprody of having to turn in my man-card by creating this thread....

Which of the three main American Idol Judges do you like most?

Once the season gets underway in earnest I tune out quickly, but I love the "people who sucked" shows and the mass auditions in the begining. After that I lose interest.

Of the three judges, my vote goes to Simon. I like that he speaks his mind. He may not be right, but he doesn't pull any punches with what he is thinking.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 02-08-2007 at 07:03 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite AI Judge

He's arrogant and not very nice, but I'd have to go with Simon as the least of three evils. Paula is cheesy and still acts like she's just trying to fit in, and Randy annoys me with the constant "dawg" talk.

Oddly enough, abner, I consider the four weeks of auditions just something to get through on the way to the good stuff: the final 24. Next week is my least-favorite part of the whole thing, that being Hollywood week. It makes me tired just watching it.

As much as I love AI, I hate that some really talented people are sent home in favor of the gimmick selections that are chosen solely for ratings purposes. "Chicken Little" from last season comes to mind, as well as Kellie Pickler. Rest assured, it will happen again this year.

Easily Simon. I don't really watch very often but I'll occassionally tune in during the early stages to see the people who suck, and after that I don't watch.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    He's arrogant and not very nice, but I'd have to go with Simon as the least of three evils. Paula is cheesy and still acts like she's just trying to fit in, and Randy annoys me with the constant "dawg" talk.
    Paula seems to have grown a spine this season. In the couple of weeks I've watched she's told people they sucked, didn't have what it took, or whatever. She seems less sugar-coat and more reasonable.

I've never even seen the show and I really don't get it. I've seen the commercials for the show and can barely tolerate them. Could someone please explain to me why this show is so popular? Or Survivor, for that matter, which I have watched once and found so revoltingly banal that I didn't watch television again for a month.

And yes abner, your man card is in serious jeapordy. Make sure to watch Tin Cup or Weekend with Bernie sometime within the next 24 hours to redeem yourself.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Simon...because he tells people what they need to hear. Sure, he's over-the-top with his bluntness from time to time, but he's the cold, harsh voice of reality that a lot of those people need to hear.

Well, Judge Posner is the one everone talks about, and I enjoy his opinions, but I like Judge Easterbrook too. Oh wait...those are 7th Circuit Court of Appeals judges. You wanted "American Idol" judges. Well I can't help you there.

By the way, for you "Tuesday Morning Quarterback" fans, Judge Easterbrook is also "Official Brother of TMQ."
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 02-08-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I've never even seen the show and I really don't get it. I've seen the commercials for the show and can barely tolerate them. Could someone please explain to me why this show is so popular? Or Survivor, for that matter, which I have watched once and found so revoltingly banal that I didn't watch television again for a month.
    Sundeck, the commercials you've been seeing are for the four weeks of preliminary auditions. These four weeks border on trash television, along the lines of Jerry Springer. The "serious" part of the show gets underway next week, when the 175 or so who were culled out of the tens of thousands who auditioned are narrowed down to 24 (12 male / 12 female).

As I said earlier, I don't like "Hollywood Week", which is the name given to the week they narrow the field down to 24 (next week), because even major parts of those two shows are edited and orchestrated for the cameras. Like Survivor and shows like that, they cleverly edit footage to show you what they want you to see. That continues (and its unfair and I hate it) all the way to the finals, but not as badly as it does in the early rounds.

If you think there's any chance at all you might want to take the plunge, skip next week and pick it up the following week, when the 24 semifinalists are introduced. I was determined to hate this show two years ago, but it didin't work out that way.

I've always been hesitant to jump onto television bandwagons, so I haven't watched a single episode of Survivor since the first season ended, and completely avoided the first three seasons of AI. But then I got tired of having no idea what everyone was talking about with Idol, so we decided to check it out and get involved. It's now the only can't-miss show for us.

I think the attraction is that you get to know each of these people, their families, and their friends very well. You visit with them in their hometowns and their homes while they're still relative unknowns. You know that two or more of them will go from "nobodies" to major music celebrities literally in a matter of weeks, and they will do it right in front of your eyes. Their career then takes on a different perspective because you "knew" them and their families before they made it big.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post

And yes abner, your man card is in serious jeapordy. Make sure to watch Tin Cup or Weekend with Bernie sometime within the next 24 hours to redeem yourself.
    I think Macro's answer should be the one you run with, Sundeck.

I just like seeing people act like idiots in the first few weeks, and hearing Simon speak the truth. Especially to the people who serriously think their screaching is singing. After that, I tune out quickly. I'll admit it, I'm a fan of train wrecks.

Suvivor...never watched it.

Simon is the only person who's honest and judges on a consistent set of criteria -- namely, have talent and have popular appeal.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I've never even seen the show and I really don't get it.
    Look at the talent it produces, and you see why. You get to witness people going from absolute obscurity to fame in a period of six months. And sometimes they produce letigimate pop music. Nothing that will go down like the Beatles, but some fairly memorable pop tunes.

It also brings out the critic in everyone. Once the Hollywood week starts you get to see how you would do as a talent judge. To be honest, I'm normally right there with Simon. The only time he strays is when a hot chick is just okay. He let one girl go through a few weeks ago that was just average but she was smokin', so she got a pass. That had to be it, because she was nothing special in the vocal category.

I've never seen the show either, and I don't get it. But I know why: I have a TV-decibel threshold and that show crosses it from the get-go. My life is too damn stressful to heap that crap on top of 10 hours of work, students, knuckleheads. I leave the "shrill" at work. Home is for muted lighting and a good book before bed.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I've never seen the show either, and I don't get it.
    How do you not get something you haven't seen?

My life is too damn stressful to heap that crap on top of 10 hours of work, students, knuckleheads. I leave the "shrill" at work. Home is for muted lighting and a good book before bed.
    I like it for the same reason you avoid it. It makes me forget about my office, my sick cat, and all the pressures of life.

I realize you are a good judge of what you like, but I will tell you this: It was a lot different than what I thought once I gave it a chance. I walked around for 5 years telling people they needed to get a life and I'll be darned if I didn't fall for the show.

Don't let the section of the show with the bad singers fool you. There are some good storylines and talent to follow and cheer on.

Taylor Hicks was a joke, though, and it's good vindication for Simon to see him selling zero records (while Chris Daughtry is moving some serious volume).

Someone said Hicks was the reincarnation of Ray Charles. Well even if that were true- and it's not- people haven't bought a Ray Charles record in close to 40 years.

Anyhow- Simon called that one, and it's why he's my favorite judge.

I'm with Dom. The show is fun. And it's something the whole family looks forward to enjoying together. That's said, I'm glad they're past the audition phase of the competition...it was getting boring (and it's always been too predictable--I think they're going to need to freshen up that part for next season). Anyway, now that we're on to Hollywood, it'll get more interesting.

As for which judge...pfff...Simon. Easy. He makes the show. If he ever bailed it wouldn't be the same. I like Randy, too. Paula is inconsequencial, IMO. You could replace her with virtually anybody and the show wouldn't miss a beat.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I dont watch the show...but dont care if others do...but as far as the judge question--i'll vote for Paula, because as the cool kids say...I would still like to "hit that"

Turn Off Ads?