Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Libel in an internet blog

Re: Libel in an internet blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    My feeling is you will have better luck with myspace than any legal action.

Libel or slander is a tough case because you have to prove he knows that what he is writing or saying isn't true. If he truly believes you did this, he is entitled to his opinion. If he knows you weren't there and you can prove he doesn't know, then you have him nailed to the wall.

I'm hoping that myspace has enough decency to not let him say something like that about another person without having proof first.
    There's also a reckless disregard side to proving malice. It's an either or. Generally, it's almost impossible to show that someone knew it was false at the time, so the more common approach is to establish reckless disregard. In either instance, it's a tough case to win. In this case, like Yachtzee said, he's not a public figure. This grants him the less burdensome task of showing negligence.

This sounds like a mess for you Sava. I hope it works out for the best.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, the girl in question has come to me and apologized, saying that he's been really crazy lately, and that she doesn't know what to do.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Well, the girl in question has come to me and apologized, saying that he's been really crazy lately, and that she doesn't know what to do.
    a co-dependent with a racist sociopath will do that. i wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to kill her or some other love interest one day. that said, you and i can break him if worst comes to worst.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    a co-dependent with a racist sociopath will do that. i wouldn't be at all surprised if he tries to kill her or some other love interest one day. that said, you and i can break him if worst comes to worst.
    Ah, yes...so you remember the situation.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

All the more reason for you to report his behavior to the police.

If (God forbid) something does happen later on, he'd have a prior complaint on record.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

He leaves me a message today saying, "You're next Dave." and I call 911 to file a report. They go and talk to him and come back with a restraining order against me for harassment. Lovely...

He leaves me a message today saying, "You're next Dave." and I call 911 to file a report. They go and talk to him and come back with a restraining order against me for harassment. Lovely...
    Wow....how in the world did they explain that one?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wow....how in the world did they explain that one?
    I wish I knew. I'm floored.

I wish I knew. I'm floored.
    Didn't the cops explain why the RO was filled?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

What exactly did his blog say?

I didn't get to it in time before he made it private.

Did they listen to the message he left you?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Did they listen to the message he left you?
    No.

Okay, if things can have a happy ending, this story may have one.

I'll update as soon as I have all the details.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

No.

Okay, if things can have a happy ending, this story may have one.

I'll update as soon as I have all the details.
    You can file a EPO against him as well. Emergency protective order. You need to do this ASAP. If he goes off the deep end and does not show up for work, you will get called in for questioning. You need to go to the cops with what you got and explain the situation. They are there to help you, but you have to spoon feed them. Show them the blog and let them hear the messages. Get the girl to tell her side of the story as well.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

ahhh...the worthless, half-assed legislative branch that is the Dayton/Miamisburgh police and Montgomery county shire-reeves.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Sava, my advice is now simple: Go talk to a lawyer. Not just somebody here on RedsZone who can give informal opinions without actually entering into an attorney-client relationship with you----you need to talk with a lawyer, someone admitted to practice in your state and who practices in your community, someone with some concentration in legal matters such as this, and someone who would be willing to represent you. IMO this has now gone beyond just asking your buddies their opinions as to what to do, even if some of those buddies have some legal knowledge or even if they have law degrees-you need someone who can and will represent you, and you need that lawyer NOW.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?