Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo Signs 2-yr Extension

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Arroyo Signs 2-yr Extension

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I hate being a jinx, but with Harang, Arroyo and Bailey all locked up into the next decade, there's a championship window starting to crack open here. Solidify the offense, get Milton and Griffey off the books, and we could be on to something.
    No problem; I'm enjoying seeing some optimism around here the last few days; it's OK to talk about wanting to win a championship again without being laughed at!

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's a good feeling knowing you have 2 solid pitchers to build a rotation around for the next four years. This is something this team has been missing for a long long time. Remember just a few years ago when the only decent option the Reds had in the rotation was Elmer Dessens? Remember when Luke Hudson and Jose Acevedo were being counted on as being solid #3 starters after both only had decent September stints? Now the Reds have arguably 2 of the better pitchers in the league with another on his way next year. The pitching situation is finally starting to solidify. Acquire a RH power bat, and this team might be a solid contender for the next few years.

I'm really impressed, who knows if Arroyo can keep up the standard that he set for himself last season but I'm more impressed because it looks like Harang's signing did more than just give us a #1 starter for years to come, it suddenly looks like players want to play in Cincinnati.

I made the argument on other threads that this was THE leverage time with both these guys. Because they are both in their primes, we're not "making a run" this year, and they gain leverage in 2008, this is the year to either sign them or deal them for maximum value. I was advocating signing Harang and dealing Arroyo -- but that was because I didn't Arroyo WOULD sign. Major kudos to Krivsky.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I'm really impressed, who knows if Arroyo can keep up the standard that he set for himself last season but I'm more impressed because it looks like Harang's signing did more than just give us a #1 starter for years to come, it suddenly looks like players want to play in Cincinnati.
    Today's buzz phrase: The culture of competency is contagious.
    School's out. What did you expect?

GO Reds

I think that is a huge signing, the Reds havent had two good pitchers in their rotoation since the early ninties. So for them to lock up both of their pitchers is a huge deal to me.

I gotta admit I was in the camp that thought for sure Arroyo would be gone once his contract was up. I guess signing Harang yesterday showed Arroyo the reds are serious about winning!!! I'm rarely wrong but man this time I am glad I was!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Am I crazy to not like this deal?

I'm fine with Arroyo, but we had him cheap for two more years. $25 mm for two extra "out" years on a pitcher like him seems steep. I don't think we can consider him an "ace".

Without this extension, Arroyo's trade value was huge. Now not so much.

I just hope it works out.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaReds22 View Post
    I think that is a huge signing, the Reds havent had two good pitchers in their rotoation since the early ninties. So for them to lock up both of their pitchers is a huge deal to me.

And just think...it may entice a few good free agents to come play in Cincinnati after the 2007 season!!!
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

I didn't catch it before, but there is an 11 million dollar 3rd year club option on this contract also with a 2 million dollar buyout. So if things are going well the Reds control him for five years.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Am I crazy to not like this deal?

I'm fine with Arroyo, but we had him cheap for two more years. $25 mm for two extra "out" years on a pitcher like him seems steep. I don't think we can consider him an "ace".

Without this extension, Arroyo's trade value was huge. Now not so much.

I just hope it works out.
    Given the current frenzy of increasingly high salaries for pitchers, if the contract's structured like Harang's (option changes to mutual and buyout goes up, IIRC), this is still a tradeable contract. I think, though, that it shows managements commitment to the long-term.

I'm in favor of this (I mean, no duh).
    However, this is high risk, high reward. It really depends on this season. We'll see if last year was a fluke or not. I don't think it was, but you never know. Either way, it's a lot better than spending $11 million/year for a guy like Meche

The biggest risk is injury risk IMHO. He had a 4.03 and 4.51 ERA in Boston, so even if he reverted to that level he'd still be worth it in light of the Meche's and Lilly's of the pitching world.

I like the extension. This is the first time we've had two pitchers this good in many, many years, so it's nice to see that the Reds will have a chance to build around them.

Now that we have him signed for 4 years someone needs to let Narron know that he shouldn't be throwing 240 innings again this year.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    I'm in favor of this (I mean, no duh).
    However, this is high risk, high reward. It really depends on this season. We'll see if last year was a fluke or not. I don't think it was, but you never know. Either way, it's a lot better than spending $11 million/year for a guy like Meche
    No doubt, even if he regresses a little bit he will still be a very solid #3. If Homer lives up to the billing this is a huge deal. If he stays at the same level we will IMO have one of if not the top 1,2,3 in the bigs. I think this year will be big for Bronson, and he doesn't throw alot of fastballs so age shouldn't affect him in the long run like it would a flame-thrower who relies on a fastball.

One heck of a week by Castanelli and Krivsky. They locked up their top two starters for four years and prices below what mediocre starters like Ted Lilly, Gil Meche, Adam Eaton and Padilla are getting.

The Reds are making a commitment to winning despite what some posters might be saying here. You win with pitching and defense and the Reds have done this so far this offseason. While many get upset with the signings of Stanton, Weathers and Conine, let's remember they are role players and not the core of this club. Signing Harang and Arroyo is the core to the pitching staff and when you add the likes of Homer Bailey, the Reds should have a solid rotation for years to come.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?