Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo Signs 2-yr Extension

Re: Arroyo Signs 2-yr Extension

I think people forget. Bronson made it through waivers from the Pirates through the entire NL and all through most of the AL to the Red Sox, a top 5 AL team at the time, he then cleared waivers in the spring so he could be sent to AAA for most of that season, and the Red Sox themselves had so much faith in his ability that they traded one of their top prospects for Jeff Suppan, when they could have promoted Bronson instead. It took Suppan and Ramiro Mendoza performing poorly for them to even give Bronson a chance in the bullpen, it took BK Kim's failure as a starter to get him into their rotation, and it took Wade Miller's failure to come back from his injury to keep him there. He was an inch away from never getting another chance in MLB at all several times, an inch away from a career as a middle reliever several times. Getting any return at all on their investment in him was a huge long shot for the Red Sox, and Arroyo ever getting a sniff at a contract like this was a ridiculous long shot for him. A deal like this? I'd imagine he probably feels like most of us would if we won the lottery. And he can afford to go visit Boston or anywhere else he wants whenever he has the time.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alright, let's trade for Dontrelle Willis and then I'll be happy.

JUST KIDDING.

Great move. Didn't see it coming. Was hoping they'd do something to convince Bronson to stay and obviously they did. I can't remember the last time the Reds had a rotation that looked legit.
    Who's on first?

As I posted on ORG:

Good move but not a great move.

First of all, kudos to Krivsky for being proactive in retaining his own players. This will help players understand that if they produce management will be aggressive about rewarding them. Long-term result : good.

OTOH, this does nothing about '07 except to make me think that the Reds are 'mailing it in' and hoping for a long-shot cindarella season by 6-8 guys. The two signings add no one on the field this year that wouldn't have been there anyway. Short-term result: not so good.

IMO, this pretty much says that the plan is not to rush Homer. With Harang and BA tied up for 4 years the Reds can afford to do things right with Bailey. Short and long-term result: good.

Of course, if the Reds tank early and Arroyo reverts to pre-'06 form, it will make moving him at the trade deadline that much tougher. Short-term result: not so good.

All in all, an OK move for the short-term, a better move for the long-term.

Rem

I was starting to think that Bob C. was cheap and not willing to spend money, but it looks like hes willing to spend the money just not on overpriced free agents. Im much happier with signing harang and arroyo long term then I would have been if we hadnt signed them and we had spent 55 million on Meche or 40 Million on Lilly. I like the way that Bob C and Wayne are building this team and although we may not be great in 07 this gives me alot of hope for the next four years.

Wow, this is a shocker. I actually did figure we could end up getting Bronson to stay, I didn't think it would happen right after locking up Harang. Good move, WayneK.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As I posted on ORG:

Good move but not a great move.

First of all, kudos to Krivsky for being proactive in retaining his own players. This will help players understand that if they produce management will be aggressive about rewarding them. Long-term result : good.

OTOH, this does nothing about '07 except to make me think that the Reds are 'mailing it in' and hoping for a long-shot cindarella season by 6-8 guys. The two signings add no one on the field this year that wouldn't have been there anyway. Short-term result: not so good.

IMO, this pretty much says that the plan is not to rush Homer. With Harang and BA tied up for 4 years the Reds can afford to do things right with Bailey. Short and long-term result: good.

Of course, if the Reds tank early and Arroyo reverts to pre-'06 form, it will make moving him at the trade deadline that much tougher. Short-term result: not so good.

All in all, an OK move for the short-term, a better move for the long-term.

Rem
    Not sure if this has much to do with Homer at all. It could mean the opposite. If Wayne feels that Homer is a solid 3 or 4 right now he probably feels pretty good about his 07 staff. IMO Homer is going to be a real good 4 or 5 to start out and will only get better as the season goes on.

This is just awesome. Glad to see we won't lose Arroyo to Boston after the '08 season.

It's almost the same money Harang got if you include the signing bonus he gets in 2008 as part of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Not sure if this has much to do with Homer at all. It could mean the opposite. If Wayne feels that Homer is a solid 3 or 4 right now he probably feels pretty good about his 07 staff. IMO Homer is going to be a real good 4 or 5 to start out and will only get better as the season goes on.
    You could be absolutely correct. I'm just going with the indication that they don't intend to rush Homer. (Which I agree with completely, BTW. See, I'm not always down on Krivsky. )

Rem

This is a great move! This week's activity is (for reds fans) a lot like the action on "24." Does Bob Castellini = Jack Bauer?

I am glad to see this, I believe that its an awesome deal for our Redlegs! I am really happy we might see Bronson here for a couple more years!!!
    Let's make some noise!

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    You could be absolutely correct. I'm just going with the indication that they don't intend to rush Homer. (Which I agree with completely, BTW. See, I'm not always down on Krivsky. )

Rem
    I think after yesterday and today Wayne deserves an apology
    Maybe im not looking deep enough into this but Arroyo and Harrang were going to be here this year regardless, so that's why I don't feel that this has much to do with Homer. I can't convince myself that even if he is the best option in the rotation, he will start in AAA. Last time I looked though my pay check didn't have a Reds logo on it so my oppinion has about as much merit as this guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I wonder what the reaction is at SOSH?
    Here's a sampling, haha:

(Rudy Pemberton @ Feb 8 2007, 02:14 PM) *
    Hey, I'm a pretty big Arroyo supporter but I really don't see the need for a 2 year, $25M extension. It's not worth it, esp. since he's already locked up- unless they thought he was going to command $15M in a few years. Buying high, isn't it?
    Yes it is, and as a not-so-big Arroyo supporter I think it is purely insane. It's easy to see why the Reds are terrible.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Throw Homer in there at some point, and you got a nice, solid, LEGIT rotation.

I know....we haven't seen him yet. I BELIEVE!!!!!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    This is a great move! This week's activity is (for reds fans) a lot like the action on "24." Does Bob Castellini = Jack Bauer?
    Could Bob kill someone if it meant saving the franchise?

I tend to agree with those who are being positive about this deal. The ones who are worried about 2006 being a fluke for BA, well, maybe it was or maybe he's just getting better. Any contract is a gamble isn't it? At least the Reds are willing to roll the bones rather than waiting for him to go off to another team in 2 years with little or no compensation. The Reds need stability in the rotation and this coupled with Harang and the likely promotion of Homer in the next 18 months gives them a solid and probably reliable 1-3. With all the other pitchers that are around, they should have enough fodder to stopgap the 4 and 5 spots with servicable pitchers. Not many teams are deep past the top 3 any more. Lastly, this move is a show for fans and players that the Reds are maybe not for real yet, but at least up and coming and willing to try. The same can't be said for some organizations...
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Turn Off Ads?