Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Breaking news: BRONSON SAID NICE THINGS ABOUT CINCINNATI. He says he likes it as well as any city in which he's played.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

(note: this is tongue-in-cheek, as I've never heard Arroyo say anything bad about Cincinnati, except that no one goes to games, and he can beat people with a stick about that for all I care.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    And this offseason he's added, what, $15 million to the payroll?
    Actually payroll is sitting at about $70M. That means the Reds added roughly $9M over where it was last summer. But that's a bit misleading because roughly $6M that increase went to raises to players already under contract so it wasn't a sign of the coffers being opened up to go get additional FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    If nothing else, these signings signal that Bob is a man of his word, and that the days of crying poor are gone. We can compete. Or, if we can't, the reason has nothing to do with money.
    These signings do not signify that there will be payroll increases in the future. The two extensions do not add payroll over the next two seasons.

To understand why someone might suggest this, consider the ledger sheet for the years where Harang and Arroyo get their raises.

Below are the big contractual obligations that will come off of the books or could be gone by not picking up options:

after '07: Milton's $9M is no more;

before/during '08: Dunn's $13.5M could vaporize if the reds either trade him or don't pick up his option (given how they've shopped him, a rebound year might get them a trade partner making the option decision a moot one);

before '09: Griffey's $16.5M will absolutely be bought out for $4M if he hasn't already retired. If Griffey collapses this year, his $12.5M in '08 might disappear due to retirement.

Harang's and Arroyo's extensions are essentially paid for by money going off of the books.

The extensions were pretty much no brainers (that's a good thing....it shows in the very least they are looking ahead and trying to anticipating markets) that are making nice postcards to potential season ticket holders. That being said, they indicate nothing about the potential for future payroll increases.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-08-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Now if the Reds had been able to develop young starting pitching on a consistant basis, then I might agree that trading him would be a good idea. If you get rid of Arroyo, you only have one quality starter. Now I'm no math genius but I think two quality starters are much better than one and some maybes.

My feelin's as well. Supply and demand issue at this point.

Ok, I just watched the press conference video. My review:

1. I think Wayne Krivsky and Arroyo speak the same language. They are both straightforward, honest dudes who appreciate other straightforward, honest dudes. Very nice. Wayne is a lot grumpier than Arroyo though.

2. Where did Krivsky get his nifty Reds lapel pin?

3. For all of his rock star preening, when you get right down to it, Bronson Arroyo really just looks like a dude from the hills of Kentucky. It wouldn't kill him to stop listening to Stone Temple Pilots and pick up a couple of My Morning Jacket and Green Genes albums. Perhaps I will send him a Byrds record or something. He's got at least four years to get this kind of stuff down now.

I think maybe I should go, like, find something to do.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What's wrong with Stone Temple Pilots?

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Ok, I just watched the press conference video. My review:

1. I think Wayne Krivsky and Arroyo speak the same language. They are both straightforward, honest dudes who appreciate other straightforward, honest dudes. Very nice. Wayne is a lot grumpier than Arroyo though.

2. Where did Krivsky get his nifty Reds lapel pin?

3. For all of his rock star preening, when you get right down to it, Bronson Arroyo really just looks like a dude from the hills of Kentucky. It wouldn't kill him to stop listening to Stone Temple Pilots and pick up a couple of My Morning Jacket and Green Genes albums. Perhaps I will send him a Byrds record or something. He's got at least four years to get this kind of stuff down now.

I think maybe I should go, like, find something to do.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No banjos or washboards....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

you honestly have to ask?

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Nope. Maybe it was all the people reading into those comments that he wanted out of Cincy who were full of hot air.

Why on earth would anyone be surprised that Bronson had a great time in Boston? I'd be shocked beyond belief if he didn't always have a smile on his face whenever thinking about the ride he had there.
    Exactly. Ever hear of any ex-Reds who talked fondly of their days in Cincy and that they hated to leave there due to the friendships and bonds they had made there? I can name a few.

A solid move by the Reds/Krivsky.

Who would have think it?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    you honestly have to ask?

Yeah, he's a little....uh....odd.

This is a wee bit risky move for WK. I'm not 100% sold on Bronson. More like 85%.

But I'm not complaining. I'd rather throw the money at Arroyo rather than Meche or Marquis.

Pay attention to the open sky

Yeah, he's a little....uh....odd.

name me a rock star who isn't (and I've seen a whole lot worse... and so have you).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I'm shocked as I didn't see this one coming. Good move, Wayne.

Homer Bailey
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto

I love the sound of that.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    name me a rock star who isn't (and I've seen a whole lot worse... and so have you).
    Yes I have.

They're rock stars.....they can do whatever they want.

I should clarify that there is NOTHING wrong with Scott Weiland, apart from the alleged wife-beating and all that. I just think that Bronson is truly more Kentucky hilltop than Scott Weiland. Maybe the Reds are just helping him reach his potential as a human being. I believe in these things.

Sorry to derail the thread...great signing. A+++.

Turn Off Ads?