Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will throw next Reds' no-hitter?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaron Harang

21 31.82%
  • Bronson Arroyo

10 15.15%
  • Eric Milton

3 4.55%
  • Kyle Lohse

7 10.61%
  • Kirk Saarloos

3 4.55%
  • Homer Bailey

14 21.21%
  • Johnny Cueto/Travis Wood

1 1.52%
  • Other (feel free to throw out a name)

7 10.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will pitch next no-hitter for Cincy?

Who will pitch next no-hitter for Cincy?

With the Reds' starting rotation looking relatively solid in the long-term for the first time in quite some time it got me to thinking if any of these pitchers will throw a no-hitter. Tom Browning hurled the last Reds' no-hitter back in 1988. I figure the Reds are just about due for another one. Rob Neyer has an interesting article on Expected No-Hitters. http://www.robneyer.com/book_04_ExpectNoNo.html Using his formula it turns out that Cincinnati should have had approximately 1.5 no-hitters since Browning's. So they are definitely overdue. So I am throwing out some choices here. Just pick who you think may be the next Reds pitcher to accomplish this feat. The below attachment shows the calculations and percentages of chance for a no-hitter being thrown by Cincinnati in the years from 1989-2006.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will pitch next no-hitter for Cincy?

How exactly do you get 1.5 no-hitters?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I will say Arroyo because, at times, he can make opponents look clueless up there.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    How exactly do you get 1.5 no-hitters?
    rainout after the sixth inning?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I say Harang.

He's come VERY VERY close.

Maybe it will be Bailey and then we can all do backflips!!!!!

Arroyo

Harang is solid night after night but Arroyo can be lights out at times.
    If Bronson is 'on' against a team that doesn't have a couple of good lefty hitters then he could throw a no no.

I'm toolsy.

I agree with all above statements about Arroyo and he gets my vote.

I would have to say bailey has the most unhittable stuff. A pitcher who can miss alot of bats and rack up alot of strikeouts has alot better chance of throwing a no hitter ( see nolan ryan). So i would say bailey or maybe harang.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Milton! He's already done it once... Bud Smith, Jose Jiminez, and Kent Mercker all say hi.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It'll probably be something weird like the Lizard the random way no-hitters seem to be distributed.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It'll probably be something weird like the Lizard the random way no-hitters seem to be distributed.
    Maybe Saarloos

Bronson pitched a perfect game in AAA, and he came really close to a no hitter a few years ago. He was into the 7th inning before he gave up a hit, I think.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

George Culver

Scott Baker
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

redsgabp

it could be arroyo.

read below

On August 10, 2003, Arroyo pitched the fourth nine-inning perfect game in the 121-year history of the International League as the Pawtucket Red Sox beat the Buffalo Bisons 70 at McCoy Stadium. He needed 101 pitches to throw his masterpiece (73 strikes), struck out nine, and got 10 fly outs and eight ground balls from the Buffalo 27 batters. He went to a three-ball count to just three hitters all game. At the end of the month, he was promoted to the major league level.

gotta love a pitcher that doesn't have to have a 95+ mph fastball to get by.

he was a awesome sight last year.

i was at the game that he hit that hr to left field last year.

Turn Off Ads?