Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where were you when Culver pitched his no hitter

Where were you when Culver pitched his no hitter

It is permanently etched in my cerebral cortical sulci and gyri almost as significant as the Kennedy assassination

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where were you when Culver pitched his no hitter

I was most likely playing with Tonka trucks on a small pile of dirt in my parents' back yard, completely unaware that the Cincinnati Reds even existed.

I was getting ready for going into the 8th grade and having a blast with my baby brother was a month and a half old when Culver pitched it. I remember my brother's reaction, something like "goo goo".

Were you playing with Tomko trucks?

Crapping my pants. I mean diaper.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I listened to the game. Vividly remember Reds broadcasters joking next day the Philadelphia's official scorekeeper had announced prior to next days game that he was changing an error on ball Richie Allen reached on to a hit.

George Culver is a perfect example of a No-Hitter being luck more than skill, he was a journeyman at best pitcher.

I remember sitting in a car with my dad in the parking lot of some store while my mom shopped inside. We listened on the radio of our car.

my dad wasn't even legal drinking age yet.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Waiting to start first grade in a couple of months. People were still talking about it when I was old enough to follow the Reds, though, the same way they talked about Jim Merritt winning 20 with an ERA over 4. In other words, they regarded it as a fluke.

Culver's no-hitter. Where was I? In the summer of '68 and as a fourteen-year-old, I was perfecting my wiffleball curve or my swing. I would use that black electrical tape on the ball to keep it from busting at the seams and to put more weight on one side of the ball than on the other side. Our backyard was perfect for wiffleball and there is no better feeling than jacking your brother's best pitch for a monstrous homerun. It's all about the bragging rights, ya know?

Remembering Merritt & Culver

I recall thinking Merritt's 4+ ERA as somewhat of an embarrassment to us Reds' fans. lol

However, now looking into it and looking back at it...........

After Merritt won his 20th game of the '70 season on Aug 26 in Philadelphia, the left-hander's ERA stood at 3.86. He made 4 more starts that season. Shoulder problems were in high gear in September. He made just 3 starts in September and did not pitch from September 9th thru September 25th. His 3 starts in September totaled just 7 innings. That rotten Sept swelled his ERA to 4.08 on the year. Merritt's arm miseries continued into the 1971 season. He won only ONE game that season.

GEORGE CULVER

The 25-year-old Culver was probably surprised as anybody that he was able to toss a no-hitter against the Phillies on July 29, 1968 in Philadelphia. Why? He went to the mound with a stomach ache and an ingrown toenail.

Philadelphia scored their only run of the game in the second-inning when Phillies' third-baseman Richie Allen reached second base after a pair of errors by Reds' thirdbaseman Tony Perez and shortstop Woody Woodward. Allen eventually scored on a sac fly by Cookie Rojas. The Reds won the game, 6-1. Culver's no-no evened up his record at 9-9. The Reds won the first game of that Monday doubleheader, 7-6, with reliever Ted Abernathy picking up the victory.

I seem to remember Culver getting more than his fair share of media attention in his days with Cincinnati because he was known to spend a big chunk of change on clothes. He was a sharp dresser.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 02-08-2007 at 11:34 PM.

plus the Reds got the redoubtable , puissant, Fred Whitfield the key player in the galaxy

I wasn't alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I was exactly one month from being born, and I am sure so eagerly anticipating being a Cincinnati Reds fan for life!!

In fact I would have been wearing a Reds hat in my mothers uterus if they let me.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Even though you were in utero could you sense Culver's command that evening?

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    Even though you were in utero could you sense Culver's command that evening?
    Mom told me she turned the radio up real loud so I could hear!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?