Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Wow. A full blown stunner.

Props to WK, ownership, and Arroyo for working together on this. Another good day to be a Reds fan. Lots of good will returning, off of these last two announcements...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Maybe we should put the straps on Wayne in July and not allow him to make another move until the following January.

All of his moves between January and June, I've liked.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Awesome move, totally unexpected. Great week for the Reds.

Have no worries my friends...SPECIAL K is in the house!

I have every bit of faith that he will solidify this team all the way around...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What exactly would be 'too much' money for Bronson? If he gets $12 mill for two more years, that would put him at around, what, $30 million for next four when you add it to his current deal? That doesn't sound bad to me at all. I would imagine the deal works out so that he gets paid around the same total that Harang got...
    $30 million for 4 years is skewed b/c those first 2 are already locked in for a total of $6 million.

I'll take it - I'm personally leery of 4 yr deals for pitchers - but I think this is a good move. Nice job WayneK.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I believe this is another great deal for the Reds, even at 12.5 million a year in 2009-10.

First, salaries for starting pitching won't go down. Guys like Gil Meche and Ted Lilly got 4 year 40+ million dollar contracts for 2007-2010. Neither of these guys have ever had years like Bronson had last year.

Second, while there is the risk that Bronson won't perform at 2006 levels in 2009 or 10 or 11, the Reds balanced that with keeping him happy and the fact that he hasn't shown any arm problems in his career. In fact, he's a good example for not rushing Homer as he has progressively pitched more innings as he has gotten older and hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear. And if he does go down with injuries in the latter part of the career that make him unable to pitch, I'd be willing to bet the Reds have insurance for some of the amount they are on the line for.

Third, this gives the Reds starting rotation the most stability they have had since the Rijo-Browning days. We all remember those days, they were the last time the Reds were contenders every year, and I think their place in the standings had much to do with the health of Rijo-Browning. Adding Homer Bailey to the mix full time in 2008 means from 2008-2010 the Reds can pencil in 3 solid starters.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the Reds starting pitching is shaping up to be the top in the NL Central for possibly a long time. While Krivsky isn't responsible for all of it, I give him credit for keeping his eye on this very important (maybe the most important) part of the team.
    Where we gonna go?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is they sweetened the next two years in which he was underpaid probably through a signing bonus, rather than commiting to huge salaries in the two extended years. Krivsky probably used the principles the NFL uses when they extend young players a year before they're eligible for free agency. Usually these guys are coming off a contract that pays them the league minimum and the carrot that gets their signature is the chance to greatly increase their league minimum year, not necessarily future years
    You're probably right. Instead of going 3/3/12/15 (tacking all the new money onto the backend) they probably just tore up the old deal and re-did it with a more gradual escalation.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

So did they void the old deal and give him a brand new 4 year deal?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I guess Bronson was mostly hot air when discussing his love of Boston and big city life.

Nope. Maybe it was all the people reading into those comments that he wanted out of Cincy who were full of hot air.

Why on earth would anyone be surprised that Bronson had a great time in Boston? I'd be shocked beyond belief if he didn't always have a smile on his face whenever thinking about the ride he had there.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Well, now we know why they extended season ticket package sales into March and why individual game tickets won't start until March.

I'm guessing season ticket packages will start selling a little better after yesterday's and today's news.

Nothing really changed from three days ago to today for 2007, but I still feel a lot better about the Reds than I did three days ago.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Another very good deal for the Reds. Locks up the top 2 starters for the next 4 years. Then when Bailey gets up here I think he will develop into a solid 3rd starter. The Reds may finally be on the road to developing a solid rotation.

Nice move. Who says Castellini won't open his wallet now?
    School's out. What did you expect?

Even this move can bring the Eeyore out of some folks.

Cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Another very good deal for the Reds. Locks up the top 2 starters for the next 4 years. Then when Bailey gets up here I think he will develop into a solid 3rd starter. The Reds may finally be on the road to developing a solid rotation.
    This isn't the thread for this, but Bailey's ceiling is much higher than number three....
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?