Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

I'll have A1 with my crow.

I must admit that this shocks me, that I was wrong, and that I like it!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Outstanding move.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Wow...that's a shocker.
    I'll second that!

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I guess Bronson was mostly hot air when discussing his love of Boston and big city life.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'll have A1 with my crow.
    I'll take mine tough and dry

Per John Fay. Cyclone's numbers are pretty much right.

Two days after signing their No. 1 starter through at least 2010, the Reds made the same move with No. 1A. Right-hander Bronson Arroyo agreed to a two-year extension Thursday with an option for 2011.

That means Arroyo and Aaron Harang will be in the rotation for at least the next four years.

The new deal pushes Arroyo's deal to $33.07 million, including the buyout. It pledged $25 million in new money. The deal is an extension of the three-year deal Arroyo signed with Boston Jan. 19 of last year. It was to pay him $3.8 million this season

Hard to argue with $33Million over 4 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That's what I am scared of. That's a lot of money...and probably too much.
    What exactly would be 'too much' money for Bronson? If he gets $12 mill for two more years, that would put him at around, what, $30 million for next four when you add it to his current deal? That doesn't sound bad to me at all. I would imagine the deal works out so that he gets paid around the same total that Harang got...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Wow, didn't see this one coming. Glad to see we are getting rid of the going back to Boston talk though.
    Ha! With the snowfall and cold weather this week, he probably thought it was Boston. And maybe Bob's promising to go back to calling us the Red Stockings or Redlegs just to make him feel more at home. Maybe he'll hang a new sign in from of Music Hall that says Faneuil Hall!

I don't think those numbers are bad at all when you consider what other teams are paying FA pitchers this offseason.

I'm pumped!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Buying F.A. years is a lot more expensive than buying arbitration years. I'm expecting $12-15M per in those two years.
    My guess is they sweetened the next two years in which he was underpaid probably through a signing bonus, rather than commiting to huge salaries in the two extended years. Krivsky probably used the principles the NFL uses when they extend young players a year before they're eligible for free agency. Usually these guys are coming off a contract that pays them the league minimum and the carrot that gets their signature is the chance to greatly increase their league minimum year, not necessarily future years

I never thought I'd say this, but I hope the Reds start targeting position players in trades, drafts, and free agency in the next 1-2 years.

That doesn't mean that if a stud pitcher falls to them in the draft that I don't want them to draft him, it just means that it'd be nice to get an influx of solid bats into the system to go with the pitching we'll now have for 4 more years.
    We need another RH power bat for starters.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Two days after signing their No. 1 starter through at least 2010, the Reds made the same move with No. 1A. Right-hander Bronson Arroyo agreed to a two-year extension Thursday with an option for 2011.

That means Arroyo and Aaron Harang will be in the rotation for at least the next four years.

The new deal pushes Arroyo's deal to $33.07 million, including the buyout. It pledged $25 million in new money. The deal is an extension of the three-year deal Arroyo signed with Boston Jan. 19 of last year. It was to pay him $3.8 million this season

Hard to argue with $33Million over 4 years.
    Really, IMO, there's a lot more good than bad with this contract extension. Over the next four to five years, it sounds like Arroyo and Harang will be making almost identical money, which I'm fine with.

The plan for the starting rotation is now very clear: Harang and Arroyo are locked up, and the Reds (and everybody) are hoping Bailey fits in for a nice killer threesome in the rotation from 2008-10. There's really a whole lot to love about that and not much to dislike.

Now we need to see some excellent position player and bullpen moves that parallel the rotation's plan. If that falls into place, we could be looking at a nice run from 2008-10.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Oops... sorry, I didn't see the later posts about the numbers. 4 years for 33 million is pretty darn good I think. Certainly doesn't break the bank compared to some of those other recent deals out there.

I'd like to express a tentative 'Way to go, Wayne!' now!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

It's a big move in the fact that Bronson would not have re-upped here if he did not agree with the direction this team was going. He wants to win because that's what he's used to in Boston.

This also puts to rest (at least in my opinion) the sentiment that the Reds have no apparent "plan". Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang would not have been convinced to resign here if there wasn't.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

I wish it was that simple. If they're healthy, they'll be here for the next 4 years.

Turn Off Ads?