Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

This is wonderful news.

Keep it comin Wayne!

2. Turn Off Ads?

How can anybody say Krivsky has no plan anymore? It so obvious it's all about pitching and defense. He preached it last year, and now he's doing it this year. With Harang and Arroyo locked up for 4 years, you have a better one to punch then we have seen in Cincinnati then we have seen for a long time. Homer, at worst, will be up here next year and if he is half of what we expect him to be that is a great 1-2-3 punch. Then he has guys like Loshe and Saarloos who are still young and have some upside. I like Saarloos more then Loshe, but still if either one of them is even decent then that's 4 solid guys. You can then decide if the other is worhty of the 5th spot, or you can see if Cueto is the guy.

Then look at his offense. He went out at gave 14 million to one of the best defensive SS in baseball (if not the best), and last year he traded for Phillips and in less then a year he has set up one of the best DP combos and baseball. Combine that with moving Griffey out of CF (which will happen) and with Ryan Denorfia (yes, you like that?) in CF, you have one of the best defenses up the middle in baseball. Also, as many trade rumors as you hear about Dunn and as much as you here about EE's defense, they are both still here. He has kept a real core of young, sluggers to hit balls into the moon deck. He didn't WANT a lineup full of sluggers who strikeout alot and play bad defense, so he traded Lopez and Kearns for pitching. I'm not going to tell you he got good value in return, but I think Majewski and Bray will be solid relievers for this team. He felt the need to unload some sluggers, and if you can't trade Griffey I would much rather have EE/Dunn then Lopez/Kearns. And as for as many people on this board wanting Griffey out of CF, I'd be glad Kearns is gone if I was you. If he was Griffey would be in CF.

Then Krivsky hasn't traded anything of much value out of his farm system. Bruce, Bailey, Votto, and Cueto all are not going to be touched. That is the core of the farm system, and all guys that will be in Cincy in the next 2-3 years. Now, I am not going to tell you he had the greatest draft in the world his first year, but I am also not going to say he can't draft either after that year. If Stubbs can eventually come up, hit decently and play a GG CF, that is what Wayne is looking for.

I think people can't look past THE TRADE and all the bullpen guys he has gone after. As for the trade, I am not going to make an excuse for it. It's a trade that can not and should not have been made. However, Krivsky has made alot more good trade then bad ones. Say what you want about how Ross and Hatteberg and to a lesser extent Phillips are due for down years, but until I see it those were all very solid moves as they stand right now. When you look at the crappy bullpen he started out with (and the crappy starting staff) Krivsky had to get alot of arms. He is still looking for the right combinations of guys to fit in. Also, say want you want about the old guys like Coninie and Hatteberg he signed, but those are strictly fill in guys until younger prospects get up here. The thing I like about Wayne is he didn't hand out abunch of stupid contracts this offseason, but in my mind he undoubtly improved the team.

Wayne is all about pitching, defense, and prospects, and he is carrying that out right now. You are watching a team transform from a bad team that hit the ball out of the yard, struck out alot, and played bad defense, to an improving team he plays solid D, pitches well, and has some sluggers in between. Wayne has done a good job of making the transition smoothly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

By the way, Feb. 8th, 2006, Wayne Krivsky was hired as Reds GM.

Arroyo was his first move, I believe. How appropriate. He's now extended.

Guys, one thing that has not been mentioned about the club's position on Bailey--it's really the smart position to have. Privately, I bet the plan is to bring him north after ST, in the rotation THIS YEAR. Publicly, they are saying AAA so that if he doesn't do well in ST, it's not a failure if he goes to Louisville, because that was the plan in the first place. What would the Reds gain by saying they expect Homer in the rotation this year? Nothing. All he could do by the end of ST is fail. By saying AAA the only direction he can go is up.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Wayne is all about pitching, defense, and prospects, and he is carrying that out right now. You are watching a team transform from a bad team that hit the ball out of the yard, struck out alot, and played bad defense, to an improving team he plays solid D, pitches well, and has some sluggers in between. Wayne has done a good job of making the transition smoothly.
    • Jeff Conine
    • Juan Castro
    • A slew of over 38 years old relievers, some who were NEVER very good signed to MULTI year contracts.
    • A bizarre infatuation with a guy that has never succeeded above A+ that has to be on the roster all year long.
    • Trading away your BEST defensive catcher.
    • More than likely starting Kirk Saarloos. ugh.

Oh, and his best prospects were picked by the previous GM as his first draft flat out sucked.

He signed his two best pitchers. I would expect no less from ANY GM!
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Next up: Signing Milton long-term
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Next up: Signing Milton long-term
    Hey he puts a decent season together it wouldn't shock me
    Go Gators!

If Wayne's plan is "pitching and defense," then why does the pitching in the bullpen still suck?

The signings of Harang and Arroyo are not "evidence of a plan." They're two smart moves that a good GM should make. He made them, and I applaud him for it. Now he needs to start filling holes.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If Wayne's plan is "pitching and defense," then why does the pitching in the bullpen still suck?

The signings of Harang and Arroyo are not "evidence of a plan." They're two smart moves that a good GM should make. He made them, and I applaud him for it. Now he needs to start filling holes.
    I think we are about to receive some posts telling us the bullpen is much improved over last year.

I have the same reaction to Arroyo's signing as I did to Harang's signing: --this doesn't mean that the moves will pay off, there are no guarantees and any long term contract is a gamble, but, under present conditions, these signings are gambles I would make-so .
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I think we are about to receive some posts telling us the bullpen is much improved over last year.

It is better than it was. That doesn't justify all his moves, or mean that it is as good as it will likely need to be, but it is better whether you want to admit it or not.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That is yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It is better than it was. That doesn't justify all his moves, or mean that it is as good as it will likely need to be, but it is better whether you want to admit it or not.
    I agree it's a bit better than last year. It's still not a good one IMO but it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    I think it is a plan. Execution? We'll see.
    So signing Harang and Arroyo, assuming Bailey's a given, getting three more pitchers somehow and maybe doing something about the offense is what you call a plan?

It's what I call reactive GMing. I don't have a problem with that per se, but it's a "let's see if everything breaks our way" gambit. What I don't see Wayne Krivsky doing is loading for bear like, say, the Marlins.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    How do you know that pedro?

If history has taught us anything its that bullpen arms are highly volatile from one year to the next - its just as possible that the bullpen could once again implode.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but it could. Weathers could put up an era over 5, as could Stanton, and Cormier, and Majewski, and Coffey. In short, its not like we have one sure thing in the bullpen - not one. So to say its definitely improved is wrong. It might be improved, hell it might be an 85% chance its improved, but bullpen arms, especially non-dominant ones, are volatile.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?