Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Before this week, Jimmy Haynes was the last Reds pitcher to recieve an extention, was he not?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'll have A1 with my crow.

I must admit that this shocks me, that I was wrong, and that I like it!
    Wow.... me too. I was firmly of the belief he was leaving for greener pastures. I guess I should've realized what "green" he was really after. I'm pumped!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Great news again!

I don't think it's an unreasonable guess that (barring unforeseen disasters) by 2009 the Reds will have the best 1-2-3 starters in the National League.

Holy Moses! Fantastic news. Things are really starting to look up. First step in building a winner is retaining the parts that are working.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Great news again!

I don't think it's an unreasonable guess that (barring unforeseen disasters) by 2009 the Reds will have the best 1-2-3 starters in the National League.
    Right now, I can see only SF (Zito - Cain - Lincecum) challenging them.

Things do change, though, so I'm not ready to guarantee that we'll have the best 1-2-3 punch in the NL. Having said that, we won't have a bunch of tired retreads in the rotation in those years, either, which is a very welcomed change.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

AWESOME move. the Harang extension didn't surprise me much, but this was totally unexpected. Fantastic move, again, by Krivsky.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Great move. You got to admit its getting better.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Cincinnati Reds could finally have someone win the Cy Young Award in a Reds uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Nice move. Who says Castellini won't open his wallet now?
    Why are you assuming this increases payroll?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

This is a total shock.

Mad props to Krivsky for this deal. Two good ones in a row.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Now that I think of it, here's the biggest impact of the extensions of Harang and Arroyo:

Before that, a lot of us were looking at 2008 as a clear dividing line, what with nearly all of the current veterans' contracts being up after that season. There was the sense that if we didn't get in the hunt soon then a teardown and rebuild could commence. And I'm not saying that's an impossibility. But by extending our top two pitchers, the front office is making a clear declaration that they intend to keep the window of opportunity open, and prospects like Bailey, Votto and Bruce are to be added to the core, not just replace the core.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Why are you assuming this increases payroll?
    It may not actually increase payroll this year. I don't know. But it is a significant investment nonetheless.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Now that I think of it, here's the biggest impact of the extensions of Harang and Arroyo:

Before that, a lot of us were looking at 2008 as a clear dividing line, what with nearly all of the current veterans' contracts being up after that season. There was the sense that if we didn't get in the hunt soon then a teardown and rebuild could commence. And I'm not saying that's an impossibility. But by extending our top two pitchers, the front office is making a clear declaration that they intend to keep the window of opportunity open, and prospects like Bailey, Votto and Bruce are to be added to the core, not just replace the core.
    Exactly. They're keeping the window open, and I'm happy about that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Great move. let's see the money but I am guessing it will be in the same ball park as harang. Adding bailey sometime this season really gets me excited about the potential of a solid staff for the next several years, especially when I think about Milton leaving after this season.

I have nothing construtive to add. Just want to note how delighted I have been over the news the last two days. Like a present.

Turn Off Ads?