Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

I'm guessing that its $11 and $12 million for the 2 additional years, with a $2M buyout for the next season, adding $25M in guaranteed money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well this was a nice little surprise.

Good stuff. The foundation of a title contender is nearly complete. Just need Bailey and Bruce to live up to much of the hype and add some complimentary pieces.

Great move, always nice to tune in and hear things like this instead of seeing that big black cloud hanging over our heads. I thought when the Harang deal was done they might approach Arroyo, but no idea it would get done this quick. Must be the mood set by Harang's signing got things rolling.

This is a nice surprise. I can't believe we are talking about the Reds and being proactive in their signings! Looks like a nice rotation setting up for years to come of Harang,Arroyo,Bailey and maybe Cueto in a couple of years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I love that Krivsky has indentified what he wants to do and has done it. These past two days seem like he finally has a plan I can see.

But I'm leery of Arroyo getting that much money in 2009 and 2010. If he pitches like the Bronson of last year great - but if its the 2005 Bronson then not so great.

I think its a worthwhile gamble though - I hope this allows him to focus on positional talent in the years to come, cause the Reds are dangerously thin in that area in the minors.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I still question Krivsky's judgement in a lot of cases but I have zero doubt in his prowress with the contracts. Fantastic job.

An honest to God, no pixie dust required, ray of hope for a solid 1-2-3 starting rotation in the forseeable future. I'm actually thinking of loosening up the belt and moving up to just midly pessamistic about our chances.

Wow, I just now got to check out the news and ESPN.com, and about fell off my chair when I saw this. Did any of us see this one coming? What a great surprise, I am now so ready for spring training to start.

Krivsky's looking to extend the team's competition window, which takes the pressure off of having to push the fast forward button on kids like Bailey, Cueto and Wood.

While the Harang and Arroyo deals don't solve any specific today problems, it's nice to see Krivsky's thinking about the long-term as well. We'll see if both guys can put together four mostly solid years, but I like that Krivsky is going after some stability. Hopefully we can spend the rest of the decade taking 2/5 of the rotation for granted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm guessing that its $11 and $12 million for the 2 additional years, with a $2M buyout for the next season, adding $25M in guaranteed money.
    My guess is that they tore up Arroyo's current deal and put something together along the lines of

2007: 6M
    2008: 7M
    2009: 8M
    2010: 10M
    $2M buyout for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    My guess is that they tore up Arroyo's current deal and put something together along the lines of

2007: 6M
    2008: 7M
    2009: 8M
    2010: 10M
    $2M buyout for 2011.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

His extension calls for a $2.5 million signing bonus, payable in 2008, and salaries of $9.5 million in 2009 and $11 million in 2010.

Cincinnati has an $11 million option for 2011 with a $2 million buyout. The price of the option can escalate to $13 million, based on innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I'll take it - I'm personally leery of 4 yr deals for pitchers - but I think this is a good move. Nice job WayneK.
    at least both Bronson and Aaron are do not have high effort complicated mechanics. They both have easy low effort throwing motions, which bodes well for staying clear of arm problems.

For a Level Playing Field

Great news. Pitching, pitching, pitching. No one can predict the future (injuries, performance); however, based on last year, this is a good signing.

Harang and now Arroyo. I'll take those deals and be happy. Pitching. pitching, pitching.

Good move but not a great move.

First of all, kudos to Krivsky for being proactive in retaining his own players. This will help players understand that if they produce management will be aggressive about rewarding them. Long-term result : good.

OTOH, this does nothing about '07 except to make me think that the Reds are 'mailing it in' and hoping for a long-shot cindarella season by 6-8 guys. The two signings add no one on the field this year that wouldn't have been there anyway. Short-term result: not so good.

IMO, this pretty much says that the plan is not to rush Homer. With Harang and BA tied up for 4 years the Reds can afford to do things right with Bailey. Short and long-term result: good.

Of course, if the Reds tank early and Arroyo reverts to pre-'06 form, it will make moving him at the trade deadline that much tougher. Short-term result: not so good.

All in all, an OK move for the short-term, a better move for the long-term.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I wish it was that simple. If they're healthy, they'll be here for the next 4 years.
    That can be said for ANY player. If the possibility of injury to a healthy guy is highly considered in every single transaction, no one would ever be signed LT!

I'm happy! Shocked, but happy! :

wtg Bronson.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Right now - with salaries, signing bonuses & buyouts for 2007 added in - here are the numbers.

Reds Committed Payroll (If all option years are exercised)
    2007 - $74.5 mil
    2008 - $57.7 mil
    2009 - $45.5 mil
    2010 - $29.5 mil
    2011 - $23.8 mil

Turn Off Ads?