Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

Re: Bronson Arroyo agrees to two-year contract extension

I hate to ruin my record by being too optimistic, but this is very exciting news. I am delighted that the Reds recognize how rare it is for a (Reds) team to have two starters of this caliber and that both will be around for awhile.

It really does lead you to believe that ownership and Krivsky are, in their own way, trying to build a winner.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Was wondering if anyone would catch that. I dont know when I get good news like this I always tend to break out in song.
    We have great news for anyone who loves bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    We have great news for anyone who loves bad news.
    What would You do if I sang out of tune.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    What would You do if I sang out of tune.
    I would stand up and walk out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Was wondering if anyone would catch that.
    "couldn't get much worse"

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    "couldn't get much worse"
    Sure it could. He could have traded Adam Dunn for Jon Lieber.

it's interesting that some of the hardest Krivsky bashers have not stood up and admitted they were wrong. The day is still young though.

I have hated some of his moves and loved others. He was not my first choice, but things are looking up and I can start to see his plan now.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    it's interesting that some of the hardest Krivsky bashers have not stood up and admitted they were wrong. The day is still young though.
    What exactly would the "Krivsky bashers" be wrong about? I see people criticizing bad moves and applauding good moves. I see lots of applauding in this thread.

I have hated some of his moves and loved others. He was not my first choice, but things are looking up and I can start to see his plan now.
    Wrong about what?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

it's interesting that some of the hardest Krivsky bashers have not stood up and admitted they were wrong.
    My name is RedEye, and I am a hard Krivsky basher.

As a hard Krivsky basher, I will now stand up and admit that the guy does know how to negotiate a contract.

I will also admit that he has been working hard and that he does appear, after all, to have some sort of plan (pitching and defense à la Terry Ryan).

I will now sit down and not admit anything else because I don't think we're out of the woods quite yet, folks. It's not bashing Krivsky to say that the jury is still out.

He's shown a good ability to re-sign our own talent for reasonable prices (Dunn, Harang, now Arroyo). Beyond that, he's still got a lot to prove.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I had intended to stay away until mid ST, but the news of the last two days pulled me back in.

It's a good move, but I'll temper it with the following:

As others have pointed out, contracts are what Kriv does well. It's no surprise that he got Harang signed. It is mildly surprising that he got Arroyo to sign an extension. Props to him that he did so.

But...

Both were kind of obvious moves to make. WK hit the jackpot with Arroyo when he traded for him. He way overpitched any expectations anyone had for him, including Arroyo himself I'd bet.

Now stop signing crappy relief pitchers, over the hill, past their prime relief pitchers, and dreck SP.

Then I'll be really happy.

I'm thrilled one of the best 1-2 combos in baseball is locked up for the next 4 years.

I'm not thrilled that he saw Joe Mays, Sunny Kim, Kyle Lohse and Kirk Saarloos as rotation possibilities.

WK did a good thing twice this week. doesn't erase the bad, but signing existing top tiered talent isn't the same as evaluating top tiered talent. 2006 says Arroyo was a fluke deal in terms of acquisition by WK. Name one other pitcher he acquired that really made an impact for more than 3 weeks.

there Jpup... feel better now that one of us WK bashers has spoken up?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Name one other pitcher he acquired that really made an impact for more than 3 weeks.
    Joe Mays had an impact. Granted, it was a negative impact but it an impact nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    What exactly would the "Krivsky bashers" be wrong about? I see people criticizing bad moves and applauding good moves. I see lots of applauding in this thread.
    that he has no plan. He obviously does.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

that he has no plan. He obviously does.
    And that plan is?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And that plan is?
    The plan keeps coming up again
    The plan means nothing stays the same
    But the plan won't accomplish anything
    If it's not implemented