Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Re: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Without a doubt better. My doubt is should so much attention been paid to that area when WK is admitting that only 2/5 of the rotation is set?
    just looking at this offseason and considering what the market was for FA pitchers, I'm not sure that there was much the Reds could have done. Although I do think that packaging Freel with some prospects for a SP and signing a FA OF might not have been a bad move.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

“That’s a good two-fifths (of a rotation),” Krivsky said. “(Kyle) Lohse and (Eric) Milton have to step up and whoever wins the fifth spot.

“But those two guys at the top is a good start.”
    I read this today at lunch and about spit out my food.

I really don't think this administration is as delusional as many others do. I think they know exactly what needs to get done for this team, and they're honest with the public about it. They're just faced with a distinct obstacle that we're not from our armchairs: the financial and tangible reality of getting what they know needs to be done, done.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    just looking at this offseason and considering what the market was for FA pitchers, I'm not sure that there was much the Reds could have done. Although I do think that packaging Freel with some prospects for a SP and signing a FA OF might not have been a bad move.
    Until Cincy can "afford" decent starting pitching, start to aggressively target young pitching through trades or make it a top priority in the draft and international FA market, this franchise will start each season behind the 8 ball.

Arroyo-type transactions are pretty rare.

Shopping Freel would have been a pretty good move. It could have opened up a spot for Denorfia and then they could have went after Wilson to split time with Hatteberg and Griffey. Then Shafer could have remained since the need for Saarloos would have been reduced and Conine would have been nowhere near this team.

And I saw a quote from WK on the net today saying that Saarloos could be a fit in the bullpen. I almost died.

With the Reds, the right-hander could be vying for a role as either a starter or reliever.

"Either one, we'll see how he does in Spring Training," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He's succeeded doing both. He's a versatile guy and a ground-ball pitcher."

Don't know if this has already been posted, but Harang was on XM this afternoon, and he said "We've been working on a deal since right after the all star break last year".
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Harang should have been task #1 on his to do list. Picking up a Conine or Saarloos should have no bearing on what happens with Harang. Cincy isn't really in the business of doling out $100 million on FAs or trading for high-priced veterans, so this move didn't really need to wait since there isn't much to wait on, in the realm of major money deals. There should have been money earmarked for this situation by the latest last summer.
    There obviously was money earmarked for Harang. Worst case scenario, he was getiting around $5M this year but who knows next year. I think you're getting caught up in the symbolism while discounting the practical. Harang shouldn't have been the #1 task. He wasn't going anywhere either way. Signing him first might have limited Krivsky in ways that were unforseen-especially for next year. Waiting till the roster is basically set allowed the reds and Harang to figure out a way to divy up the moola in a way that was most advantageous to the Reds roster efforts for '07 and '08 while frankly being little hair off of Harang's back. This is something that could've waited even longer. Signing/trading guys for the roster obviously couldn't. Once again the symbolism is of little value and frankly could've been detrimental.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And I saw a quote from WK on the net today saying that Saarloos could be a fit in the bullpen. I almost died.
    why did that surprise you?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    why did that surprise you?
    Because there is an opening in the rotation and WK has added a multitude of medicore bullpen arms already.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Don't know if this has already been posted, but Harang was on XM this afternoon, and he said "We've been working on a deal since right after the all star break last year".
    Good to know that Wayne Krivsky doesn't have a stupid rule about NOT talking contracts during the season....

Turn Off Ads?