Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We now have the following CORE players locked up through 2010 at least:

Harang
    Bailey
    Votto
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Bruce

I doubt Bronson Arroyo would be willing take ANY kind of discount to stay here, given the disdain he has expressed with the National League and the Midwest specifically.
    Dunn is signed only until 2008, and then only if Reds exercise option.

A lot of unproven minor leaguers in your core. Hope they all pan out.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Did Aaron get a no-trade clause in his contract?

If he didn't, then the value of this deal goes up exponentially if the Reds flounder for the next 18 months. A healthy Arroyo and Harang at the 2008 trade deadline could fetch a huge haul.

Another important aspect of this deal is the club stays in control of the 5th year and the money involved not outrageous which means this contract is very trade attractive too!
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Didn't get a no trade, but if he's dealt the option year goes from team to mutual and it increases by $1 million. Also the buyout also goes up $500,000.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Did Aaron get a no-trade clause in his contract?

If he didn't, then the value of this deal goes up exponentially if the Reds flounder for the next 18 months. A healthy Arroyo and Harang at the 2008 trade deadline could fetch a huge haul.
    They could have fetched a huge haul now.

If Harang had refused the LTC offer, Krivsky would have done well to shop him. But that's moot now.

If Arroyo doesn't re-up prior to next season, Krivsky should deal him prior to 2008 spring training. He'd bring back a nice haul of ML-ready talent and prospects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Well WilyMoRocks, we can begin with Wily Mo to Boston for Arroyo...oop that's your screen name. Riiiiight.
    I'd love to have Wily Mo's bat in this linup. We could certainly use it.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    They could have fetched a huge haul now.

If Harang had refused the LTC offer, Krivsky would have done well to shop him. But that's moot now.

If Arroyo doesn't re-up prior to next season, Krivsky should deal him prior to 2008 spring training. He'd bring back a nice haul of ML-ready talent and prospects
    Agreed, but hopefully we can get him to re-up. My head tells me he wants to go back to Boston, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Honestly, how in the world did the Reds pull this off for that money? I am stumped. This is an extraordinary deal. harang must really like it here. And he is only 28 so even if this goes five years he won't really be far past his peak yet.

I listened to the press conference as I was scraping my car in the parking lot next to GABP (with the door open to hear it). the enormity of this moment made me cry, and then the tears froze on my face, causing it to crack. I told the guys scraping their cars near me about the deal and they were happy. Then they started talking about Homer Bailey
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Honestly, how in the world did the Reds pull this off for that money?
    The first year is about what he would have gotten in arbitration this year ($4.5M).

The second is roughly what he could have expected (given a good year) in arbitration in '08 ($7Mish).

The third and fourth years (both over $10M) are fair discounts, given current market value, on his first two years of free agency.

It's a nice deal that really works out for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I don't think this is quite as good of a deal as it seems. Don't get me wrong--I think it's fair. But he was going to make about $5 million this year, so that's $4 million or so extra they'll be paying him this year.
    No, not the way the money is spread out. I forget the breakdown but he makes the least this year, then it climbs from there.

I guess I think it's such a steal because I really believe that even with a slight drop off, Aaron Harang could have stood to make maybe $15 million per in free agency in two years. I guess he likes security, though, can't blame him for that.

edit: dsmith got me too.

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Oh great.
    Now, in effect, we have two Eric Miltonesque (read albatross) contracts around our necks.
    Whatever will Wayne Krivsky think of next.

ONLY KIDDING, FOLKS!
    What I really wanted to say was somewhere between:

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day. . ."

and

"I feel PRETTY! Oh, SO PRETTY!"

Here's to you Wayner K!!! Got'r dunn!

WHOOO-HOOO!

---RedRoser

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We now have the following CORE players locked up through 2010 at least:

Harang
    Bailey
    Votto
    Encarnacion
    Dunn
    Bruce

The next player I wouldn't mind seeing getting locked up for the long term (but not until the AS break at the earliest) would be Brandon Phillips, provided he can produce at the same level he did last year. I doubt Bronson Arroyo would be willing take ANY kind of discount to stay here, given the disdain he has expressed with the National League and the Midwest specifically.
    Phillips is every bit as much locked up to 2010 as Bailey, Votto and Bruce.

OMG...Harang finally got his long-term contract and he is STILL making less than Eric Milton next year

If Harang performs at his current level or higher without injury for the next 4 years, the Reds got a steal. If he gets hurt or declines in performance, well, that's why buying out arb years isn't always a great idea.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If Arroyo doesn't re-up prior to next season, Krivsky should deal him prior to 2008 spring training. He'd bring back a nice haul of ML-ready talent and prospects.
    IMO, it would be better to hold onto Arroyo untill the trade deadline. As we well know, quality pitching is hard to come by. I wouldn't be in too big a rush to trade it away. If he continues to pitch as he did in 2006 and stays healthy he will still bring in the haul of talent your looking for and you get the added benefit of him pitching for the Reds in his contract year (If you believe in that sort of thing). Also, and again it's just my opinion, but I think 2008 is the first real chance the Reds have to contend and Arroyo will be a big part of that. Of course, if the right deal came along...
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?