Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Re: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    OMG...Harang finally got his long-term contract and he is STILL making less than Eric Milton next year
    You can thank Dan O'Brien.

Too bad we didn't also land Matt Clement too.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If he gets hurt or declines in performance, well, that's why buying out arb years isn't always a great idea.
    The Reds took something of a risk in that sense, but I really don't think they could have waited on this one. Harang is in many ways the team's best player. I believe this makes the Reds obligated to attempt a long-term contract, and he can turn them down if he feels it's too low.

I don't believe in coddling good players, but I do believe in giving them the respect they deserve.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    You can thank Dan O'Brien.

Too bad we didn't also land Matt Clement too.

If the Reds had signed Matt Clement, his skull wouldn't have caught the business end of that line drive, and he'd still be pitching as well as (or better than) his pre-ASB 2005 numbers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Great, great, great move. I see Harang as being the best around here since Soto - and maybe a bit better - and that ain't too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    OMG...Harang finally got his long-term contract and he is STILL making less than Eric Milton next year
    That was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Just got home from class and I am glad to see the news. I think many of us figured this deal would get done, and the dollars make sense. I wonder if Wayne will approach Arroyo in the near future to guage his interest in staying with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If the Reds had signed Matt Clement, his skull wouldn't have caught the business end of that line drive, and he'd still be pitching as well as (or better than) his pre-ASB 2005 numbers.
    Maybe not

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5561

The Red Sox finally know what was going on in the shoulder of pitcher Matt Clement, and it wasn't good. Dr. Jim Andrews found significant damage in Clement's shoulder during exploratory surgery. Damage to both the rotator cuff and labrum was seen and repaired, likely ending Clement's 2007 before we're even done with 2006. It's another lesson in why MRIs aren't perfect as diagnostic tools, and why conservative rehab is often as risky as exploratory surgery.

Finally. It's a great day for us Reds fans. Thank you WK and BC and AH!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's sad to hear, yet encouraging for him in a way. His struggles were at least in part due to a (hopefully) correctable physical problem. I'd already be thinking about Clement as a bounce back candidate in 2008. While he's never had great control, he misses a lot of bats and had thrown 7 straight seasons of 30+ starts.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It absolutely needed to get done, but it was by no means a fait accompli that it would be done. Very good deal.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm loving this.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I've got to give lots of credit to Wayne as far as recognizing important cogs and getting them locked up (see Dunn, Adam.).

I love it I love it I love it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Arroyo will stay in the National League because AL hitter cream him
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Where are the Krivsky bashers for the Reds wasting their money to signing Harang to a longterm deal?
    Praising him for this is a bit like praising him for remembering to breath isn't it?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Praising him for this is a bit like praising him for remembering to breath isn't it?
    not really.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Looking at today's FA "climate", this is a good move. Especially when Seattle signs Weaver for a year @ 8.3 Mil.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Fantastic move by the Reds.

Kudos to WK and BCast. The prevailing wisdom is to avoid deals longer than three years for pitchers, but in the Reds circumstance its important to keep Harang around. This is a good deal for both sides. A bargain for the Reds and security for Harang. If Harang goes south this should not be a deal to regret. This move had to be made.

This helps me get a little more excited for the season honestly.

Turn Off Ads?