Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Re: Reds Sign Harang to 4-year Deal

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    If the Reds had signed Matt Clement, his skull wouldn't have caught the business end of that line drive, and he'd still be pitching as well as (or better than) his pre-ASB 2005 numbers.
    Maybe, but I bet Dan O would have gotten an extra year
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I'd love to have Wily Mo's bat in this linup. We could certainly use it.

Rem
    No way, he strikes out too much
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Looking at today's FA "climate", this is a good move. Especially when Seattle signs Weaver for a year @ 8.3 Mil.

Which was a good move too....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Fantastic move by the Reds.

Kudos to WK and BCast. The prevailing wisdom is to avoid deals longer than three years for pitchers, but in the Reds circumstance its important to keep Harang around. This is a good deal for both sides. A bargain for the Reds and security for Harang. If Harang goes south this should not be a deal to regret. This move had to be made.

This helps me get a little more excited for the season honestly.
    Me too.

I was getting worried.

Plus, Harang's one of my favorite players in all of Baseball, so I'm grinnin' like a Cheshire Cat right now.

That big ugly fella is gonna be around for a pretty long while. I'm diggin' on that big time.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Which was a good move too....
    Something not often associated with Bill Bavasi.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

There is absolutely NOTHING to complain about with this deal, which does not bode well for the life of this thread.

Fantastic stuff. Bargain. Love it.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Something not often associated with Bill Bavasi.
    That whole FO needs an enema.... but Weaver still was a good move for them.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Terrific move by Krivsky!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That whole FO needs an enema.... but Weaver still was a good move for them.
    Well, he's back in the AL and in the same division that he went a combined 30-34 the past three seasons. Never had an ERA under 4.00 in a division that only had one team with a combined Park Indice over 100 during those seasons(Ballpark in Arlington). Yea' I know, that's a very rudimentary way of looking at it, but I have a hard time finding anything that makes this more than another ho-hum signing by the Mariners. Maybe I'm missing something, but my knee jerk reaction is the Mariners have overpayed for the guy they saw on October 27, 2006.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Finally, the Reds sign Harang, now the Redszone syndicate bravely moves on

He should be a good pitcher through the years before age gets him. Sorta of the replacement for Pete Harnish the Reds were looking for since 2001.

Well done Wayne.

Just logged on for the first time since this was done.

Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Ouch.

Well, at least he would have pitched effectively for the rest of 2005...
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2 View Post
    Well, he's back in the AL and in the same division that he went a combined 30-34 the past three seasons. Never had an ERA under 4.00 in a division that only had one team with a combined Park Indice over 100 during those seasons(Ballpark in Arlington). Yea' I know, that's a very rudimentary way of looking at it, but I have a hard time finding anything that makes this more than another ho-hum signing by the Mariners. Maybe I'm missing something, but my knee jerk reaction is the Mariners have overpayed for the guy they saw on October 27, 2006.

This has already been hashed out to a decent degree here...

Lonnie Wheeler had a good column about the signing today:

No cold shoulder for Harang

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

The Cincinnati that Aaron Harang has grown to admire is the summer version. He wasn't prepared for what hit him Monday when he stepped off the plane from San Diego.

"I thought, whoa, this is cold," he mentioned Tuesday, warmed, by then, by the long-term contract he had just signed with the Reds for about $36 million, if it extends to a fifth season. "I had a pea coat that I never wear, but it was in my bag."

And still, he took the deal, even with the knowledge that it might mean moving here. The thing is, he's all right with that.

The thing is, he's all right, period.

You know how ballplayers, when they're angling for a contract and can't seem to get one done, and even when they do get one done, for millions after millions, always say it isn't about the money? And you know how you never, ever believe them?

I think you might have to believe Aaron Harang. And while you're at it, I think you might have to like, really like, Aaron Harang.

I mean . . .

• Gil Meche last year: 11 wins, 4.48 ERA. Meche contract this winter: 5 years, $55 million.
    • Ted Lilly last year: 15 wins, 4.31 ERA. Lilly contract this winter: 4 years, $40 million.
    • Vicente Padilla last year: 15 wins, 4.50 ERA. Padilla contract this winter: 3 years, $33.75 million.
    • Jeff Suppan last year: 12 wins, 4.12 ERA. Suppan contract this winter: 4 years, $42 million.
    • Adam Eaton last year: 7 wins, 5.12 ERA. Eaton contract this winter: 3 years, $24.5 million.
    • Jason Marquis last year: 14 wins, 6.02 ERA. Marquis contract this winter: 3 years, $21 million.
    • Randy Wolf last year: 4 wins, 5.56 ERA. Wolf contract this winter: 1 year, $8 million.
    • Andy Pettitte last year: 14 wins, 4.20 ERA. Pettitte contract this winter: 1 year, $16 million.
    • Aaron Harang last year: 16 wins, 3.76 ERA. Harang projected contract this winter if he had been a free agent, like those other guys: 5 years, $60 million.

"I did see a lot of ridiculous numbers this offseason," said the gentle 270-pounder, who became only the eighth National League pitcher since 1960 to lead the league in both victories and strikeouts. The other seven were Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Don Drysdale, Steve Carlton and Sandy Koufax. "But you know what? I like the city of Cincinnati. It's humble and hard-working, and I'd like to think that I fit in with that.

"I know Wayne (Krivsky) and Bob (Castellini) have been doing a lot of work to solidify this organization, and I'm looking forward to the direction we're going. They were showing me dedication."

They showed him money, too. We shouldn't pooh-pooh the money. There was plenty of it. For plenty of years. Comparatively, though, the years are more plentiful than the money.

"We never focused on a one-year deal," said Krivsky, the general manager.

Instead, the Reds focused on doing what they absolutely had to do, if they were to maintain good faith with the paying public. All winter, they had confined their player investments to utilitarian veterans. The people understood. The free-agent pitchers were going for mad money. The people understood. Harang was eligible for arbitration, and the Reds hate arbitration, and he was there to be signed long-term, and if the Reds hadn't signed him long-term, the people would not have understood. Not one bit. That, the Reds understood.

"I think this sends a heck of a message to our fans and our players," Krivsky said.

Harang, without saying it, sent a heck of a message, too. His was that the Reds are a team worth signing with. A team with possibilities, run by men with good intentions, in a fine city that $36 million will buy most of.

No Cincinnati pitcher has ever made that much money before. But then, no Cincinnati pitcher since Ewell Blackwell, in 1947, has led the league in victories and strikeouts.

"I know Aaron's appreciative of history," noted Krivsky. "And I know he's glad he's not being paid like Mr. Blackwell in 1947."

Actually, he is being paid like the Whip in '47. Roughly every out.

And these days, that's a bargain.

Turn Off Ads?