Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No individual Opening Day tickets for sale?

No individual Opening Day tickets for sale?

I've got mixed feelings about this.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...90447/1071/SPT
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No individual Opening Day tickets for sale?

Everyone who has a ticket better show up.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I suppose the goal is to sell as many tickets as possible.

But this is sad if they actually go through with it.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Opening Day tickets have become increasingly hard to get since the 42,227-seat Great American Ball Park replaced the 51,744-seat Cinergy Field in 2003.
    ...and this is exactly why the new park was built with fewer seats: to tip the balance of supply and demand just a bit.

The Reds last year sold the eight-game Power Packs - which include Opening Day, all fireworks nights and select other games - but they held back some tickets to ensure that some would remain for Opening Day.
    I don't understand this sentence. If there were Opening Day tickets still left over after all the Power Pack sales, then the team didn't really hold back anything. They were just left over.

I really don't have a problem with the approach the Reds are taking. If some people are willing to shell out the money for a Power Pack, then they should get priority over those wanting just Opening Day tickets. If there aren't any left over after the Power Packs are sold, then so be it.

I still don't get the "held back" thing, though.

I think this stinks. I absolutely can't afford to shell out money for 11 games up front at the beginning of the year. Usually when I go down to a game it's a decision that's made the day or week before...I can't plan 11 games for the entire year at this point of the season. I know undoubtedly there will probably be at least 4-5 games I won't make it too. Not even mentioning the fact that when I do go down I usually just buy cheap tickets because there is always more than enough room to move down.

This will be very sad if it's true and it will probably mean I won't be going to any more Opening Days. I have never had a year where I didn't get OD tickets through TM if I wanted them. I have gone to several the past few years but I refuse to pay the outrageous Ebay prices. I'm glad the Reds are going to make some money and it's a smart marketing strategy but it's leaving some fans out in the cold.

It stinks for out-of-towners, for whom buying a power pack makes no sense, but the opening day tickets are probably what makes the power pack so popular. I wonder if they would sell nearly as many if it didn't include tickets to opening day.

After this year, once I'm finished with school, I'd like to take the wife and kids down to Opening Day. I've never had the opportunity to see the Findlay Market parade and all the other festivities that go on with Opening Day in Cincinnati. I guess now I'll have to find a ticket broker or find out if any local connections could help me out.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

eBay here I come.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

"We're telling people the best way to get Opening Day tickets is to buy a season ticket," Allen said.

Kiss my grits you pencil pushing, bean counting, cockroach.

Fine. So I may not get to go down to Opening Day this year and freeze me arse off.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    ...it's leaving some fans out in the cold.
    Yes, but the same number of people will get into the ballpark that day, regardless of how they do it. Conversely, the same number of fans will be left out, regardless of how they do it.

I absolutely can't afford to shell out money for 11 games up front at the beginning of the year.
    You could always buy a Power Pack, put it on a credit card, and then sell off the excess on ebay or to a broker. You may or may not break even on them, but it might be cheaper in the long run than paying an excessive amount to a broker or someone on ebay for just Opening Day tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    It stinks for out-of-towners, for whom buying a power pack makes no sense, but the opening day tickets are probably what makes the power pack so popular...I guess now I'll have to find a ticket broker or find out if any local connections could help me out.
    Same deal, Yachtzee. Buy the Power Pack and sell off the rest.

I will admit a major hole in my suggested approach, however. There may be thousands of people with the same idea. If the Reds tank this year, there will be tens of thousands of unwanted Power Pack tickets floating around that were bought for no other reason than to get Opening Day tickets. If that happens, many people will have to completely eat those. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. It's a gamble.

I'm so turned off for the coming season, and this makes me even more so.

But I already decided to buy the powerpack just for OD tickets. Creek jr is off school for spring break that day and he really wants to go.

And I'll do what I did last year and what macro is suggesting - sell some of the tickets.

I use to be a 25 - 30 games a year chick, but the FO keeps pushing me away.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I may very well be done with going to a freaking game then. This is just like the Reds though. Very single and simple minded. Those plans make it impossible for anyone outside of an hour drive to get opening day tickets. I for one don't have the cash to throw money on something I cannot go to and thats exactly what I would be doing if I got any of those plans.
    While I understand they are doing anything they can to get as many tickets sold as possible, they also need to look out for the best interest of the fans. All of the season ticket holding scalpers will buy up all the season tickets. Also, the only thing that ever comes out of John Allen's mouth is how it is hard to compete in a small market. Well, do something about it. Reds country used to be OH, KY, IN, WV, VA, NC, TN and I'm probably leaving out a few states. But you could basically be in those states and hear or watch a reds game. Now, its basically OH, KY, parts of IN, and Parts of WV. Are they trying to shrink the fan base even more?? Thats essentially what they are doing with this.
    I'm East of you. Be very very worried. Not quite OBX. But, be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Yes, but the same number of people will get into the ballpark that day, regardless of how they do it. Conversely, the same number of fans will be left out, regardless of how they do it.

You could always buy a Power Pack, put it on a credit card, and then sell off the excess on ebay or to a broker. You may or may not break even on them, but it might be cheaper in the long run than paying an excessive amount to a broker or someone on ebay for just Opening Day tickets.

I will admit a major hole in my suggested approach, however. There may be thousands of people with the same idea. If the Reds tank this year, there will be tens of thousands of unwanted Power Pack tickets floating around that were bought for no other reason than to get Opening Day tickets. If that happens, many people will have to completely eat those. So, take my advice with a grain of salt. It's a gamble.

The problem with that is that while you get Opening day and a couple of good games they sell off a bunch of the less attractive games in the Power Packs. i don't know how much luck people will have trying to sell September Reds/Pirates games on ebay.

The Reds are banking on the idea that fans will want to go to Opening day bad enough that they will spend the extra money even if they don't use tickets for 5 or 6 of the 11 games package.

Thankfully, there are always scalpers in Cincy and their prices will vary somewhat that day based on the weather.

It's probably not too much of a gamble. If these Power Packs are going to be gobbled up, it stands to reason there will be few seats available for those games. If someone who didn't buy the Power Packs wants to go to those games, they can either try to get them through the Reds and get what little they have and pay the service fee on that, or they can go to ebay and probably get a better deal.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It's a much greater gamble if you are buying 4 as opposed to 2. If I want to take the wife and the 2 boys down for Opening Day, I'd need 4 tickets. That's a lot of money to eat if I can't sell of the rest of the tickets. I guess the only way to tell if it's still a deal or not is to monitor prices through brokers and eBay to see if the price of 4 power packs costs less than 4 OD tickets otherwise.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Aren't the Reds simply allocating the opening day tickets first to the season ticket holders/power pack folks, and whatever left over tickets would be made available to the general public?
    "That's a possibility," chief operating officer John Allen said. "If we sell out through the packages, that's a possibility. We don't know if that will definitely happen. But it could potentially."
    While there is a risk of not having any tickets "left over" it doesn't neccessarly mean they are 100% not going to sell OD tickets to the general public.

I guess I have mixed fealings too. I think it makes sense to give the season ticket/package deal the perk as they are willing to invest long-term in the team. On the other hand, I can understand that if this comes to pass, it means out-of-towners are frozen out of opening day.

I guess the question becomes how many out-of-towners actually go to opening day?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?