Turn Off Ads?

Thread: When are certain players up for FA?

Hybrid View

When are certain players up for FA?

Specifically, Brandon Phillips, Ryan Freel, and Chris Denorfia. When are these guys eligible for Free Agency? Is there a site where all this info is available? Thanks in advance.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: When are certain players up for FA?

These are just guesses but

Freel after 2008
    Denorfia after 2011
    Phillips after 2008
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    These are just guesses but

Freel after 2008
    Denorfia after 2011
    Phillips after 2008

That's about what I suspected. I would like to see BP get an extension if he can show in the first couple months of the season that his bat was no fluke last season. That would leave the Reds set at every position for the next four years, pending an Adam Dunn extension, with the exception of C, SS, and CF (ironically the three most important defensive positions, an interesting fact considering Wayne is a "defensive-minded" GM.) I think Griffey and Hatteberg will keep their respective spots (RF and 1B) warm until Votto and Bruce are ready to arrive. Hopefully, someone can emerge and gain staying power in CF between Freel, Denorfia, Hamilton and (gulp) Stubbs. My personal opinion is that Denorfia isn't the player that some on this board are making him out to be, and thus Freel will keep CF warm until Stubbs is ready to hit at the big league level (if that ever happens). However, if I'm wrong, and hopefully I am, Denorfia can man CF for many years to come, and we can dangle Freel as trade bait for pitching help. I see Josh Hamilton sticking around as the 4th OF, and primary backup option if (and when) Griff goes down.

Still, I love the direction they are heading in with the pitching, and I would like to see Lohse, Saarloos, Ramirez, and the guy from Tampa Bay battle it out for those last two rotation spots, with hopefully one of them (or two- depending if Milton falters ) securing a spot once Homer Bailey arrives this summer. (My $$ is on Lohse, although Saarloos isn't far behind.) If I'm correct, Lohse and Milton are gone after this season. I like the idea posted on another thread of Lohse having a strong year, then walking into some absurd contract from an American League team, who in turn must surrender to us two draft picks. Barring a trade (see the Freel scenario above) that would leave Saarloos and Ramirez (or anyone else who emerges/random FA signing) to keep the last two spots in the rotation warm until Cueto and/or Wood are ready in 2009. As far as the bullpen goes, I fully expect to see complete turnover over the next two seasons with the one exception of Bill Bray. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the only bullpen arm left in 2009 from the current roster.
    Go BLUE!!!

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/

Contracts, each listing notes service time.

Freel after 2008
    Denorfia after 2011
    Phillips after 2008
    According to the web site above service time is
    Freel 3.1
    Deno 0.10 years
    Phillips 2.02

I believe that means Free agency will hit
    Freel 2009
    Deno 2012
    Phillips 2010

With both Freel and Phillips in arbitration (or a signed contract) from the end of this year on.

FWIW Ramariz will either have to be on the 25 man roster or go through waivers or be traded. If he goes through waivers somebody will claim him. If he's on the roster, he'll be the 5th starter. His only experience with relieving was when Larry Bowa spanked him with the Phillies in 04. My guess is he'll be part of what gets traded in spring training. I don't expect him to be around when Milton and Lohse have left.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?