Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Iq Test

Re: Iq Test

I've taken several IQ tests, with scores ranging between 120 and 180 (that was a really good day. Really good). Sometimes the tests can depend on our minds clarity, our present mood, our health, and surroundings (remember, Elaine scored as a moron after taking a test in Babo Bhatt's restaurant).

Congratulations, Greg!
    Your IQ score is 138
    This number is based on a scientific formula that compares how many questions you answered correctly on the Classic IQ Test relative to others.
    Your Intellectual Type is Visionary Philosopher. This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns. And someone here keeps taking your name. And that's just some of what we know about you from your IQ results.

Why am I being compared to Dana Plato?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Reading this thread, I suspect that 90% of people who tell people that they have genius level IQ scores are either lying or were lied to by their parents.

I don't know my IQ, and am not sure I was ever tested. However, I understand how normally distributed standard deviations are supposed to fall.

Walk down the street sometime and count the first 1,000 people at random. Chances are that fewer than THREE of them will have IQ's of 145 or above (3 standard deviations above mean).

After you do that, keep walking and count the next 100,000 people at random. Chances are, approximately 7 of them have 1Q's of 160 or above. Let me repeat that, SEVEN OUT OF ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND. That means, approximately 28 living within the entire city of Cincinnati.

Not to single you out vatican plum, put if you really, believe that your parents have a 160 IQ, I think it's morally imperative that you get tested. If it turns out that you're also in that range, then get your ass off this message board, and concentrate on finding the rest of us a cure for cancer or something.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Not to single you out vatican plum, put if you really, believe that your parents have a 160 IQ, I think it's morally imperative that you get tested. If it turns out that you're also in that range, then get your ass off this message board, and concentrate on finding the rest of us a cure for cancer or something.

The thing is that I have no idea how they were tested. Just that it was a long time ago and probably involved some paper test or something. I don't believe they're lying -- I think they were actually told that they had IQs of that number -- but I do question the testing itself. What was measured? How old were they? How would the test they took compare to those today; can the resultant scores really be compared? I just don't fully understand testing anyway. Some people are very bright but don't have the concentration for tests (and I wonder if this has been exacerbated in fast-pace, short-attention-span Internet world too). Some people are excellent at listening to and reading people, and that obviously can't be tested.

I always tested well but lacked a lot of motivation in school, so my grades never lived up to my potential. And what good does that do? What was the point of knowing that I was bright if I didn't make use of it in class? If I had kids I would hope they'd be the opposite.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

If you were in the elementary public school system between 1960 and oh say, 1975, your IQ was tested. It was big back then.

Most schools placed you in classes according to those scores.

And my parents held it over my head "you're smarter than a B- in math, Cindy."
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Well, if you're a Reds fan and can somehow avoid calling the Banana Phone, you have to be pretty intelligent, right?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Senor Votto

Congratulations, Philip!
    Your IQ score is 108

This number is based on a scientific formula that compares how many questions you answered correctly on the Classic IQ Test relative to others.

Your Intellectual Type is Inventive Inquisitor. You have the unusual distinction of being equally good at math and verbal skills. This means you are a creative thinker and are uniquely good at teaching others through experiences. You are also a great improviser and very good at handling change.

I'm not good at math so this test must be full of it.

Congratulations, Marc!
    Your IQ score is 140

Your Intellectual Type is Visionary Philosopher. This means you are highly intelligent and have a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a variety of different ways. Like Plato, your exceptional math and verbal skills make you very adept at explaining things to others — and at anticipating and predicting patterns. And that's just some of what we know about you from your IQ results.

So you can call me Plato from now on.

I imagine my score will be even higher after I earn the University of Phoenix degree I just signed up for.
    Last edited by tixe; 02-11-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    If you were in the elementary public school system between 1960 and oh say, 1975, your IQ was tested. It was big back then.

And my parents held it over my head "you're smarter than a B- in math, Cindy."
    They did it in Mariemont at least until 1980 when I was in 6th grade . Then they would tell that your IQ was higher than X, that you were gifted and that you were being put in *special * classes.

[sarcasm]
    Real healthy if you ask me.
    [/sarcasm]
    School's out. What did you expect?

I was part of the initial bunch they did this to back in the seventies. We were part of a study--I was chosen for the "experimental" group rather than the control group--which, I suppose, was to guide the implementation of WV's new gifted program.

In West Virginia, gifted students are included under the special education umbrella (hold the jokes--their just too easy). In my grad school intro to the exceptional student class last semester, the prof said that over the years they had discovered through retesting that there was one exceptionality that could be cured--giftedness.

They do not notify the parents when the students' scores drop out of range, however. Once gifted, always gifted.

I wonder if they've cured me yet....

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    They did it in Mariemont at least until 1980 when I was in 6th grade . Then they would tell that your IQ was higher than X, that you were gifted and that you were being put in *special * classes.

[sarcasm]
    Real healthy if you ask me.
    [/sarcasm]
    Yeah, I had a similar experience.

Although in my case, the school would only let me eat finely whipped pudding for lunch and play with really huge Legos.

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post

That explains why my parents made me wear a helmet to school.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

The thing is that I have no idea how they were tested. Just that it was a long time ago and probably involved some paper test or something. I don't believe they're lying -- I think they were actually told that they had IQs of that number -- but I do question the testing itself. What was measured? How old were they? How would the test they took compare to those today; can the resultant scores really be compared? I just don't fully understand testing anyway. Some people are very bright but don't have the concentration for tests (and I wonder if this has been exacerbated in fast-pace, short-attention-span Internet world too). Some people are excellent at listening to and reading people, and that obviously can't be tested.

I always tested well but lacked a lot of motivation in school, so my grades never lived up to my potential. And what good does that do? What was the point of knowing that I was bright if I didn't make use of it in class? If I had kids I would hope they'd be the opposite.
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but maybe if you knew your true potential it would have motivated you to do better in school. Being told your smart or gifted may be alot of pressure but it can also be very uplifting for ones confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    What does "Congratulations Greg. You have the I.Q. of an Amoeba" mean?
    Can't amoebas change their shape, and haven't they become resistant to anti-biotics and such?

I'd say that's pretty high praise.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Can't amoebas change their shape, and haven't they become resistant to anti-biotics and such?
    Yeah, but the problem is that they aren't smart enough to realize they can do that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying, but maybe if you knew your true potential it would have motivated you to do better in school. Being told your smart or gifted may be alot of pressure but it can also be very uplifting for ones confidence.
    I was told that. I was still lazy.

Kids learn in different ways. In some ways I think I was lucky in that I was encouraged to pursue my interests (which were largely artistic and lay out of the classroom a lot of the time) without a lot of creedence given directly to grades. So once I grew up I was quite motivated to excel in what I wanted to do. Grades themselves were just not emphasized, and for me that worked. That said, I sometimes think I don't respect academia (and "non-interests") as much as I should, and I certainly didn't get as much out of a good and expensive education as I should have. So I respect hard work a lot more than natural intellect. The former is within your control; the latter is just an accident.

I was in a particular world, though, where pretty much all kids stood a chance regardless of test scores or work ethic. I suppose I agree that kids not in that world, ie. underprivileged kids, should be able to prove their "natural" smarts regardless of how they're performing in school...but I'm a little uncomfortable even with that logic, because does that mean I believe that if a kid doesn't test well AND isn't getting good grades, he's not worth anyone's effort? I guess in the end I just wish there were enough individualized education that test scores would be irrelevant, which I know is impossible.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?