Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CF and closer options

CF and closer options

What if the Reds trade Bray for Rowland then sign Hermanson to be the closer.I think it would help the team on all fronts.What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: CF and closer options

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    What if the Reds trade Bray for Rowland then sign Hermanson to be the closer.I think it would help the team on all fronts.What do you think?
    Just to be clear, do you mean the Phillies Aaron Rowand?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

No. I think we would have to hang Krivsky if he did that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Deno>Freel>Rowand.

I'd still go with Deno over both.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I think with amply playing time, Chris Denorfia is Aaron Rowland in a production sense

Rowand and Freel are very similar, both play all out, while I like these players this wouldn't solve anything, I can see it now, With Rowand in Center and Freel in right, Both going all out to the ball with recklessness, smashing into each other. Although I like Rowand we need to look elsewhere, a little more pop and RBI's

Deno is CF.

Coffey should be given first crack at closer. Maybe Bray gets 15-20% save chances to keep his head in it.

I'd rather see if Coffey/Bray can handle the role than have Weathers and Stanton be the closers on a team which has a minimal shot at the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Deno is CF.

Coffey should be given first crack at closer. Maybe Bray gets 15-20% save chances to keep his head in it.

I'd rather see if Coffey/Bray can handle the role than have Weathers and Stanton be the closers on a team which has a minimal shot at the playoffs.
    I concur. There really is no reason to trade for a CF right now. Deno and Freel can take of the job.

I think deno wouldnt be much of an offensive drop from rowand. And I guarantee you that bray +deno is greater than rowand+hermanson.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I concur. There really is no reason to trade for a CF right now. Deno and Freel can take of the job.
    If anything, I'd be shopping Freel.

To me, the only reason to trade Freel or Deno is to get a lefty hitter for CF. That way you can have a lefty/righty platoon (both Freel and Deno are righty hitters). Rowand doesn't accomplish that.

We don't know what the Reds really think of Deno. I thought he looked real good in September, once he got comfortable. He hits a lot of infield grounders -- at one point he hit a ton of grounders to short -- but eventually he seemed to get over that.

If Freel can get 350 at bats as a centerfielder, with Deno getting 250 at bats in center, that would work for me. (Freel could get some more at bats filling in elsewhere occasionally.) Wonder what the Reds braintrust has in mind.

I think the Reds can afford to trade Freel / Deno if they can get a RH power hitting bat in return to stick in the 5th spot in the order. Their lineup could really use a RH power bat to hit behind Griffey.

Another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + a reliever to get a closer in return.

Yet another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + Milton to get a better option in the rotation.

Those are the three scenarios I'd trade Freel / Deno.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I think the Reds can afford to trade Freel / Deno if they can get a RH power hitting bat in return to stick in the 5th spot in the order. Their lineup could really use a RH power bat to hit behind Griffey.

Another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + a reliever to get a closer in return.

Yet another scenario would be to trade Freel / Deno + Milton to get a better option in the rotation.

Those are the three scenarios I'd trade Freel / Deno.
    I'll take scenarios 2-3. The first one...not so much. Where does that RH "power hitter" play? Freel shouldn't be traded for a platoon guy. I'd like to see him dealt for a young pitcher with a good amt of promise. Florida would be my first call.

I'd rather just keep Freel, although if the right deal came along I wouldn't ignore it.

I don't understand this. Why would you trade away something you need (bullpen, especially a lefty with upside) for something you have in surplus (centerfielders). We have two VERY capable, and good CF'ers in Freel and Deno.

Turn Off Ads?