Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Silverman: Funny or not?

Re: Sarah Silverman: Funny or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    She's mean; what's not to like?
    Way, WAY too many fart jokes. A bit of toilet humor is funny, but she sometimes forgets when to quit.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

She was in one of my magazines this month- GQ or Details- and she looked smokin' hot, but when I see her in interviews she gives off a feeling like she would be a buddy or a sister.

The jury is still out for me on that.

She is hilarious, though.

I liked the last show where she took in the homeless guy. But not because of her, I find her "gay" friends to be hilarious. The karate bit was one of the funniest things I have seen recently.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 02-10-2007 at 02:27 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    She was in one of my magazines this month- GQ or Details- and she looked smokin' hot, but when I see her in interviews she gives off a feeling like she would be a buddy or a sister
    I get that same vibe.

I think it's because I always see myself as the jokester/prankster in any relationship, and it'd be odd if someone was making me laugh consistently as opposed to the other way around.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think she is brilliant and funny
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I think she's pretty good, but not spectacular. At the risk of sounding like a sexist, there's a pretty good case out there that she's slept her way to the top.

I've yet to see Jesus is Magic, but I've pretty much followed her career since the SNL days.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I think she's pretty good, but not spectacular. At the risk of sounding like a sexist, there's a pretty good case out there that she's slept her way to the top.

I've yet to see Jesus is Magic, but I've pretty much followed her career since the SNL days.
    Yeah, that's pretty sexist. What difference does it make: she's either funny or not.

Her show is destined to be canceled; what's so completely great about her humor (and ultimately what will get her show canceled) is that it doesn't in any way attempt to be witty or disaffected. It's throwback working-class scat humor with the claws of satire mercilessly at the ready ("Old black women are wise beyond their years...."). She's not daring to shock like so much humor these days, she's daring you to hate. Which is nice.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-10-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Well I hadn't seen it before, but I watched it last night. I think she's less funny now than I did before seeing it. She made fun of things that most people won't touch, which at first was funny, but it seemed to get old though. Unlike FCB I think her stand up show was all shock. "Like I can't believe she's making fun of that." That only lasted so long for me. By no means was it a terrible show, but it wasn't as good as I expected.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

I vote not funny and very annoying.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty sexist. What difference does it make: she's either funny or not.
    The difference... speaking theoretically here... is that if you take a person who's sorta, kinda funny, and that person strategically sleeps with those in positions of power, said person can get a lot of opportunities that might otherwise be reserved for those who are really, really funny.

I like some of her stuff. Her standup in particular. I also think she's a good interview, and found myself going out of my way to listen to her Terry Gross interview on Fresh Air.

On the other hand, I've found her acting roles to be horrible (School of Rock, Something About Mary).
    Stick to your guns.

On the other hand, I've found her acting roles to be horrible (School of Rock, Something About Mary).
    Wait, she was in School of Rock? Where?

I cried at that movie...it made me want to be a music teacher. But I have no recollection of Sarah Silverman.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wait, she was in School of Rock? Where?

I cried at that movie...it made me want to be a music teacher. But I have no recollection of Sarah Silverman.
    She was the "*****y girlfriend".

Well, if she did, she must be really bad in bed because she is nowhere near the top. Other than this new show on Comedy Central - and who hasn't had a show on Comedy Central - I haven't seen her as the star of her own series commanding hundreds and thousands of dollars per episode. I haven't seen her as a star in a feature film that has made a lot of money.

She is a very attractive woman but I haven't seen enough of her to know whether she is funny or not. And I don't know if a sitcom is really an indication of how funny someone is. Look at Seinfeld. He was basically the straight man on that show. And even his show wasn't that well received at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I like offbeat and crude humor--but unfortunately the best word I can think of when describing Sarah's new show is ---(politically incorrect warning alert)
    retarded....now the "Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show"-thats good comedy...

Never heard of the woman, but I read where she abhors alcohol (a tee-totaler) but is a HUGE pothead.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?