Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mauer makes out-Twins' catcher guaranteed $33M over four years

Mauer makes out-Twins' catcher guaranteed $33M over four years

From AP - this must be the week that the younger guys stick around (i.e. Harang)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- AL batting champion Joe Mauer and the Twins agreed Sunday to a $33 million, four-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration and giving one of the team's young stars the security of a long-term deal.

The 23-year-old catcher hit .347 with 84 RBIs last year to help the Twins rally from a 121/2-game deficit to win the AL Central on the final day of the regular season. He played in his first All-Star game last summer.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Swing for the Fences with the Twins
    Ticket King puts you in the seats that you want to cheer on the Minnesota Twins in their...
    www.ticketkingonline.com
    Search Homes in MN. Buyer Only Realtors
    Buyer Brokers, who exclusively represent buyers in the Twin Cities, Minneapolis and St....
    thbuyers.com
    College Degree - In as Fast as 1 Year
    Earn college credits & degrees from your computer on your schedule.
    www.USADegreePrograms.com
    University of Minnesota Twin Cities
    Learn more about this and hundreds of other Minnesota schools today.
    www.MinnesotaCollegeDirectory.com

Selected with the first pick in the 2001 amateur draft out of Cretin-Derham Hall High School in St. Paul, Minn., Mauer was eligible for arbitration this winter for the first time. He became the first catcher to lead the majors in batting average and the first AL catcher to win the batting title.

"We're extremely happy, because there is not a player who belongs with the Twins more than Joe Mauer," his agent Ron Shapiro said on Sunday.

Shapiro represented two Hall of Famers, Baltimore's Cal Ripken and Minnesota's Kirby Puckett, who spent their entire careers with the same team. The deal will keep Mauer with the Twins through at least 2010, the year the team is scheduled to begin playing in a new Minneapolis ballpark.

That didn't mean Mauer gave Minnesota a hometown discount, however.

He gets $3.75 million this year, $6.25 million in 2008, $10.5 million in 2009 and $12.5 million in 2010. Mauer has additional award bonuses and gets the right to designate three teams each year that he can't be traded to without his consent.

"This is a market deal," general manager Terry Ryan said. "Don't worry about that."

Mauer would have been eligible for free agency after the 2009 season.

"This is a good day for this organization, and I feel like it's one of those deals which is going to work for both sides," Ryan said. "You have to be comfortable with how a player's going to respond to security. I don't think there's any question how Joe's going to respond to that."

Mauer's rookie season in 2004 was cut short by a knee injury that raised some questions about how his body could handle the physical demands of his position behind the plate. But he has been fine ever since.

"That's one of the good things about this situation," Ryan said. "He is in awful good shape and showed it last year."

Twins pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to spring training in Fort Myers, Fla., by next Sunday. Ryan has one more player left in arbitration, right fielder and cleanup hitter Michael Cuddyer.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mauer makes out-Twins' catcher guaranteed $33M over four years

I can't believe Joe Mauer is only 23. That's just insane.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

How dare the Twins overpay for Mauer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

hope he stays healthy. he's fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    How dare the Twins overpay for Mauer.
    I see Mauer taking the cash and running, seriously overpaid. This is worse than the Harrang and Arroyo signings..We should run and tell the papers.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I see Mauer taking the cash and running, seriously overpaid. This is worse than the Harrang and Arroyo signings..We should run and tell the papers.
    That implies locking up Harang was a bad signing. How so? Seems a solid move especially when you consider the rest of the market (and, the boy can flat-out pitch!). And, it's not like either league is brimming with available pitching talent to go around currently. Seems a very solid thing. Arroyo as well, especially considering some of the off-season signings.

Why do you see Mauer as a flash-in-the-pan?

Joe Mauer is Jack Bauer.

He is the man.

Great deal for both sides.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Being that he is only 23 I would give him that deal. If he was older I may think twice because most catchers eventually break down to all the wear and tear on their bodies.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Mauer's not only rich, he's playing for his hometown team - he's 23 and he's dating Miss USA

I really feel bad for the guy. Sounds like he has a pretty bad life.

I keep telling myself, this only opens the doors for the Reds to get him for Castro.

Turn Off Ads?