Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about Bernie?

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

How about Bernie?

Was reading over on Reds.com that Bernie Williams will most likely decline the Yanks offer of a minor league contract. Why not take a flyer on him? Last year he went .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBIs in 131 games, put him in GABP and I think he could be more than serviceable.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    anthonyb

Re: hOW ABOUT bERNIE?

I agree but how old is he

Those weren't bad numbers but where is he going to play? I think he was about on a par with Jr. as far as defensive CFs go. If he played RF, that still leaves Jr. in CF. Plus, I wouldn't want to see vaticanplum arrested for stalking him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Was reading over on Reds.com that Bernie Williams will most likely decline the Yanks offer of a minor league contract. Why not take a flyer on him? Last year he went .281 with 12 home runs and 61 RBIs in 131 games, put him in GABP and I think he could be more than serviceable.
    He had a VORP of 12 last season suggesting his bat was worth about a win. He's also one of the worst defensive outfielders in mlb meaning his glove completely wiped out his bat. Williams was replacement level last season. This year he's projected to have a VORP of 0 so given his defense, he'd be worse than replacement level. I'm not sure how much it would cost to sign him but maybe you could convince him to switch leagues at age 38 and retire as a Red rather than a Yankee for somewhere between $1-2M. Why pay that when you've got replacement level OF'ers in your system dying to get paid league minimum to be better than Williams? A guy like Norris Hopper easily fills this description.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-10-2007 at 11:11 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

We don't have the DH so no.
    Go Gators!

I'd rather have Uncle Bernie.

he would make the squad younger...............

sorry conine. couldn't resist

I'd prefer Bernie Kosar.

I'd even prefer the Weekend At Bernie's guy.

with apologies to vaticanplum, I'm going to have to pass.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He's younger than Reggie Sanders, but I'd like to see the Reds swing a deal for Reggie if KC would be willing to pay part of his salary. I think Reggie could be huge coming off the bench and spot starting for the Reds, plus he knows how to win.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

No! No! No! - He's much too old.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM View Post
    Was reading over on Reds.com that

that was your first mistake...

Senor Votto

We already have Griffey

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    He's younger than Reggie Sanders, but I'd like to see the Reds swing a deal for Reggie if KC would be willing to pay part of his salary. I think Reggie could be huge coming off the bench and spot starting for the Reds, plus he knows how to win.
    I'm honestly shocked Wayne hasn't already acquired Sanders. He is indeed a veteran who plays the game the right way and knows how to win.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

You acquire Williams and probably both Hamilton and Denorfia won't make the club. And who would you rather have in center defensively?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm honestly shocked Wayne hasn't already acquired Sanders. He is indeed a veteran who plays the game the right way and knows how to win.
    You could say the same thing about Steve Finley who is available. Veteran with a lefthanded bat to come off the bench late in the game and can play all three outfield spots.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?