Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: College BB - Tourney Talk

College BB - Tourney Talk

I don't know how many college basketball fans there are on this board, but I figured it's starting to get close enough to talk about the end of the year conference tournaments and what teams need to do what to get in the "big dance". It might be too soon, but I'm already excited.

Is anybody going to any of the tournament games this year? A buddy and I got tickets for the second round of the NCAA tournament in San Antonio. Four days and all the games for 150 bucks. I hope we get some good games.

Duke struggled early tonight but it now looks like Coach K has got them playing together. Anybody think there is a chance they don't make the NCAA tournament?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College BB - Tourney Talk

I really like the way IU is playing. I wasnt totally sold on Kelvin Sampson as the head coach but man I love the way he has the team playing. He has them playing hard nose defense with a type of energy on both ends of the court that has been missing badly the past few years. I am not sure how much noise IU will make in the tournament this year but if DJ White sticks around with Eric Gordon coming in, then I can see a serious run at a National Championship.

Tomorrows night game against Purdue should be good. Its nice to see a new bitter rivalry emerge with a quiet feud going on between Sampson and Painter. Purdue almost knocked off OSU last weekend but then again Penn State just almost knocked off OSU tonight. So its hard telling if OSU is the real deal or not. OSU has tons of talent but if they had their act together they wouldn't be playing Purdue and Penn State close .
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Tomorrows night game against Purdue should be good. Its nice to see a new bitter rivalry emerge with a quiet feud going on between Sampson and Painter. Purdue almost knocked off OSU last weekend but then again Penn State just almost knocked off OSU tonight. So its hard telling if OSU is the real deal or not. OSU has tons of talent but if they had their act together they wouldn't be playing Purdue and Penn State close .
    1. What difference does it make how many points you win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory. There are only two teams in the Big 10.

[quote=Mutaman;1243240]1 yo.
    What difference does it make how many pointsu win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

If OSU is a championship caliber team they would not be barely beating an average Purdue team and a bad Penn State team regardless if the game is played on the road or not.

2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory. There are only two teams in the Big 10.[/quote
    ]

An OSU fan is preaching to me about cheating??

Well one of your "two teams" in the Big Ten played very poorly against two very average programs in the span of five days. I wouldnt make those Final Four arrangements just yet!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

There's Florida.......................

...................and then there's everyone else.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    There's North Carolina.......................

...................and then there's everyone else.
    There, thats better.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    1. What difference does it make how many points you win by on the road in the big 10 in February. I'm sure Indiana would have taken a close win in Iowa the other night.

2. Indiana's not going anywhere unless Sampson can figure out a way to cheat his way to victory. There are only two teams in the Big 10.
    I am pretty sure he was talking about next season.

And George is right, with Gordon and White (if he stays) next season, that is a Top 10 basketball team.

Well, Kentucky will enter the tournament with eleven losses and will be seeded 8th in one of the four regions...again! Then they'll lose their first or second round game. Man, this gets old! But as long as Barnhardt is happy with his basketball and football programs and their mediocrity, I guess that's all that matters.
    Last edited by macro; 02-15-2007 at 07:56 AM.

2 teams really? I think IU beat Wisconsin. I wonder how he cheated to get that victory?
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

[QUOTE=George Anderson;1243245]

An OSU fan is preaching to me about cheating??
    Actually, I'm a Badger fan. Thats the school where the players have to actually have to go to class and pass exams.

Be that as it may, I really thought OSU would drop one or two on the road by now. Alando Tucker was talking earlier in the year about what a grind the Big Ten season was. He said that it would be very difficult for a young team like OSU to play well on the road through a gruelling big 10 season, no matter hjow talented they were. So the fact that OSU has gone unbeaten since the Wisconsin loss impresses me. I don't think the size of a win makes any difference under these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines 1B View Post
    2 teams really? I think IU beat Wisconsin. I wonder how he cheated to get that victory?
    They won on their home court just like a Big Ten team is supposed to do. And they followed it up by losing at Iowa which is something the Badgers and OSU didn't do. I was more impressed by the way OSU lost in Madison than by the way Indiana beat Wisconsin at home. Indeed, Indiana has been very mediocre on the road this year.

Also, bear in mind that Indiana got a hugh break in the schedule in that they only have to play Wisconsin and OSU once, and they don't have to play in Madison at all.

For a Level Playing Field

I am a big OSU fan. However, I do not think they will get that far in the tourney. They are talented, but have trouble putting the ball in the hoop. I think we are seeing a repeat in Big-10 basketball as we saw in Big-10 football... a couple of good teams (Wisconsin & OSU) and a bunch of mediocre teams. The mediocre teams make the two good teams look great. When those good teams have to play a good team from another conference on a neutral court, I have to wonder if they can win.

IMO Wisconsin is superior to OSU and s/b ranked higher.

That kid Durant from Texas is the real deal. I watched UT play the other night and was mightily impressed. Best player I've seen in college in many years and only a freshman.

Whoever has the #1 pick in the NBA draft will have a real dilemma between Durant and Oden.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    There's everyone else................................

..............................then there's Duke
    Fixed it as well.

This year will be the first year that I will not be headed to the Opening round Game in Dayton. It's always cheap and the floor and atmosphere is the pretty good for a 64-65 game. Last year we sat near the Monmouth bench and my boys got high-fives from each of the guys coming through. That was the bomb to a 6 yr old and 4 yr old.

I always take a peek at the mid-majors and the local teams that might show up. Akron has a pretty good chance to win the MAC and get in. Wright State is one game away from clinching Home-Court advantage all throughout the Horizon League Playoffs. Xavier's on a roll. Dayton can play at home. Ohio State is obviously in. There could be at least 5 Ohio teams in the NCAA. Interestingly enough, there are first-second round games in Columbus and Lexington this year.

If I had to pick a couple of mid-majors, Santa Clara & Southern Illinois are pretty interesting. Vermont could surprise.

As a Dayton resident and UD fan, they need to win 20 to get to the NIT. I would laugh my head off if Wright State got to the NIT and got to go to UD Arena to face the Flyers. Dayton would be in an uproar.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

There's everyone else................................

..............................then there's Duke
    Insert Coach K/back problem joke here.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?