Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended TV Shows (that most of US is missing)

Re: Recommended TV Shows (that most of US is missing)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Sorry let me clarify something about Curb. It has not been officially canceled but it has not been renewed for a 6th season and no new episodes have been shot.

It has been renewed for a 6th season....

http://www.tvsquad.com/category/curb-your-enthusiasm/

Vivica A. Fox will be joining the cast of Curb Your Enthusiasm for the show's sixth season, which kicks off next year. According to Hollywood Reporter, there's not much information, though information points to Fox playing the member of a black family who moves into the David's home after a natural disaster. So there you go, Vivica A. Fox will be playing a black woman, and frankly, I couldn't be happier. I was starting to grow tired of seeing her constantly playing an elderly Chinese man. The storyline is meant to spoof the events of Hurricane Katrina, as well as race relations. I imagine we can look forward to Larry saying something incredibly inappropriate. The article doesn't mention whether Fox's character will stay on the show or whether she'll only be part of this specific storyline.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Ditto
    Agreed.

I also like Heros, and Lost.

I DVR alot of shows, including Monk. Don't always watch them all though.

La Dolce Vita

Friday Night Lights is an excellent, movie quality show about, not only high school football, but small town life in our country today. The characters are complex and the acting is terrific.

I'm sure it will be gone after this year, and that is a shame.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Curb Your Enthusiasm by Larry David on HBO. I'm starting to collect the first few season DVDs. It's hilarious. The guy was the true brain behind Seinfeld.
    One of my favorites too. I also love Friday Night Lights like a lot on this board.

One show that I think is hilarious is How I Met Your Mother. Bad title for the show and I don't know how well the ratings are in this second season, but that show is really funny. Neil Patrick Harris, a.k.a. Doogie Howser, is one of the funniest characters on t.v. right now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Worth The Wait

My Super Sweet Sixteen on MTV provides for riveting viewing.

It is almost gut-wrenching watching the human drama unfold as young teens and their parents wage war against societal norms while trying to foster in a new age of adulthood. The kids are usually hard-working, grateful sorts, who just want to have a little party in celebration of their big day. The parents are all well-grounded, and exceptional role models for their children and for parents everywhere.

The parties themselves aren't the REAL story- most of the parties are fairly subdued and conservative. What matters is the interpersonal relationships. It's moving television.

Worth The Wait

It's funny, my sports addiction pretty much keeps me from watching "normal" TV. I'm a year-round sports nut, so there is basically some event to watch every night.

Having said that, DVR does bring a new dimension into my life. I NEVER miss The Office-- just perfect.

I sort of watch Grey's Anatomy by osmosis with my wife, and she has also gotten me into ER-- although I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

And here's a dirty little secret: My wife usually DVR's Gilmore Girls each week-- and I kinda like it. OK, I really like it

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I sort of watch Grey's Anatomy by osmosis with my wife, and she has also gotten me into ER-- although I don't like it nearly as much as I used to.

And here's a dirty little secret: My wife usually DVR's Gilmore Girls each week-- and I kinda like it. OK, I really like it
    You're going to wind up getting this revoked!

It's funny, my sports addiction pretty much keeps me from watching "normal" TV. I'm a year-round sports nut, so there is basically some event to watch every night.

Having said that, DVR does bring a new dimension into my life. I NEVER miss The Office-- just perfect.

Take the remote away from your wife and watch Scrubs and 30 Rock instead of Grey's Anatomy. If you want to watch a decent medical show buy the DVDs of St. Elsewhere. You'll feel better about yourself.
    Where we gonna go?

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I pretty much only watch 'Heroes' regularly. Other than that it's sports, movies, funny videos, science channel, discovery channel, and kids programming.
    I'm even beginning to get tired of Heroes...it seems each week brings less and less story and more and more commercials...<snore> :thumbdown

On another note:I am reading Catch-22 over again though...somehow when I was 15 I didn't understand much of the humor.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Man vs. Wild

Bear Grylls is one bad dude!

I know many think most television offerings really stink; I am not one of those people. I find many programs enjoyable.

Some I never see mentioned on the board but that I think are particularly good and watch faitufully in addition to Prison Break, Heroes, Lost, and 24:

- The Unit
    - Criminal Minds
    - NCIS
    - House
    - Smallville (I am absolutely hooked!)
    - Supernatural
    - Jericho
    - Dresden Files
    - Bones
    - Numbers
    - all the CSI and L&O's
    - Ugly Betty
    - Men in Trees

Yes, I tape a lot and even if I get behind it doesn't matter; I'll see them eventually. Most people probably consider them fluff, boring, not funny, not thought provoking, and thus not worth their time but I like them.

The only reality show I like is The Amazing Race.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

La Dolce Vita

Ugly Betty is terrific! lots of fun.

We just bought Season 2 of Smallville...Season 1 hooked us.

I love Greg House.
    teach tolerance.

IIRC, you're not alone. I believe Raisor is a big fan of the Gilmore Girls.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I don't watch much network TV at all, unless there's a game on, but there are some shows that I have TiVo season passes to that I really like.

The Thirsty Traveler on the Fine Living Channel - Kevin Brauch travels around the world and visits all sorts of wineries, distilleries, and breweries. He will go on a tour of the spirit making facility and explain how it is made. He usually hits a party during each show too.

Little Britain on BBC America – Bawdy British humor. Funny stuff but definitely not for everyone and definitely not for the kids.

Dogfights on the History Channel – Recreates famous aerial battles using really good video game animation. Interviews and old newsreel type footage supplement the sharp graphics.

Pardon the Interruption on ESPN – Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon talk about sports and dig on each other for a half hour. My day isn’t complete until I get my fix.

Classic Albums on VH1 Classic – They revisit the making of a classic old album and talk to those who were involved in the recording, editing, and producing etc. etc. Two of my favorites so far have been Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon and Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors.

Veronica Mars.

Its almost last every week in the ratings - but the show kicks arse.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?