Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Wright State

Congrats to Wright State

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...131_recap.html

Beat the #10 team. I don't follow basketball, but good to see WSU getting back on track. I remember them with a nice run in the NCAA's a little over team years back but it went downhill. Good to see them back on the map.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Congrats to Wright State

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...131_recap.html

Beat the #10 team. I don't follow basketball, but good to see WSU getting back on track. I remember them with a nice run in the NCAA's a little over team years back but it went downhill. Good to see them back on the map.
    Ah yes, back in the days of Vitaly "The Crane" Potapenko...I went to a lot of games back then, good times...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd say the win last night makes Wright State an at-large, unless they completely fall apart the rest of the way.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I think Wright State is still going to have to win their conference tournament to get in to the NCAA tournament. Last night probably guaranteed an NIT spot if they don't get in but they are still going to have to win the conference tournament to get in the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'd say the win last night makes Wright State an at-large, unless they completely fall apart the rest of the way.
    There's zero chance of that. They were blown out by Bradley and LSU, two teams on the outside looking in at this point, and they have no other quality wins except for Butler.

It's a great story, and a great win for WSU that could be a true building block for the future, but there won't be any at-large for them this year.

The best thing about that win though is that the first place team in their league gets the conference tourney at home. WSU is now tied with Butler, so it's entirely possible they would have any rematch in the finals at home.

Remember when they beat Michigan State in Dayton? I think it was like 1999 when MSU was top 10. That was a heck of a win for the program as was this. I saw this score on the bottom line last night and did a complete double take.

Wright State took control with a 12-point run at the end of the first half, which made it 35-27 at the break and brought the sellout crowd to its feet. Four players hit 3s during the spurt, which put Wright State ahead to stay.
    Sellout crowd at Wright State?

I think you would have to go back at least 5 years to see that. I haven't followed them the last 3 years when I've been at OSU but I never remember them selling out the Nutter Center. Maybe they really are turning it around.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    There's zero chance of that. They were blown out by Bradley and LSU, two teams on the outside looking in at this point, and they have no other quality wins except for Butler.
    You're right, I forgot about the blowout losses to those teams.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Sellout crowd at Wright State?

I think you would have to go back at least 5 years to see that. I haven't followed them the last 3 years when I've been at OSU but I never remember them selling out the Nutter Center. Maybe they really are turning it around.
    They never had a sell out at the Nutter Center before yesterday, I believe. The Gem City Jam games came close, but lacked because Jim O'Brien had run UD into the ground and apathy was abound.

I think the MSU game from 1999 had about 8,000-9,000.

I was there, and it was truly sight to be seen. In the second half it was as loud and crazy as UD Arena gets. Even a diehard UD fan like me can feel good for them. It was a great night.

Butler even cleared their bench with about 10 seconds left. Smart move, because it only took about 1.5 seconds for the students to engulf the court.

My wife attend WSU we went to some games, and they were really really bad then. The Nutter Center is a fine arena, and if they can get enough fans there it can be really loud. I am glad to see them doing well.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Wright State got themselves a first-rate coach in Brad Brownell, who had success at UNC-Wilmington. He and the AD at UNCW didn't get along - he's not the first coach to have a problem with that AD - and voila, Wright St. gets a gift.

Brownell was 83-40 at UNCW with 2 NCAA appearances in 4 years. This year, without Brownell, UNCW is one of the two worst teams in the CAA with a 6-18 record, and WSU is a program on the rise.
    Last edited by RichRed; 02-12-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I was at the game, nice atmosphere. However, WSU has a game on Wednesday and they'll probably not draw 3,000 for it. I get to one or two games a year.

GL

Heck, when I went to grad school there, they still played Div II ball (and had a lot of success). Just played at the on-campus gym, the size of a large HS gym. No Nutter Center. And it really was more of a HS environment. But they did have a group called the Raider Rowdies and they were pretty nuts.

Ralph Underhill was coach and the team was an entertaining up-tempo fast break and pressing team. He got some pretty good talent in there, at least for Div. II.

I remember John Chaney coaching for Cheyney State and having some classic battles with WSU. WSU would try to run and Chaney ran an early version of that funky defense he had at Temple and the mix was .... interesting.

They won the Div. II national championship a couple years after I left (early 80's). Kentucky Wesleyan was their nemesis and they finally broke through that year.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Someone mentioned Wright State in the NIT.

If they get through the tournament and lose in the final, it shouldn't be a problem to get to the NIT.

The interesting game would be if Dayton made the NIT. The Flyers have been very public about not playing the Raiders. Could the NIT stir up some stuff so they can play each other in an NIT First rounder at UD?

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Someone mentioned Wright State in the NIT.

If they get through the tournament and lose in the final, it shouldn't be a problem to get to the NIT.

The interesting game would be if Dayton made the NIT. The Flyers have been very public about not playing the Raiders. Could the NIT stir up some stuff so they can play each other in an NIT First rounder at UD?

Even better, they have to play at the Nutter Center.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?