Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projected 25-man roster

Projected 25-man roster

I will be extremely upset if Denorfia doesn't make the team. Chad Moeller sucks, plain and simple. There is no need for him on the roster.

Projected 25-man roster
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Here's our best guess at the 25-man roster coming north. Last year, we were 20-for-25. The Bronson Arroyo-for-Wily Mo Peņa trade cost us two spots:

Lineup

Ryan Freel, CF: He'll be leading off. Still too early to be certain whether he'll be in center field or right.

Brandon Phillips, 2B: If Phillips can build on last year, he's a budding star.

Ken Griffey Jr., RF: The Reds need him to be the 2005 Griffey, not the 2006 Griffey.

Adam Dunn, LF: Hopefully for the Reds, not trying to make the switch to first base will help Dunn's offense.

Edwin Encarnacion, 3B: His bat is good enough - .276, 15 HRs, 72 RBI in 117 games last season - but he needs to cut his errors by a third or more. Twenty-five is too many.

Scott Hatteberg, 1B: He had a good year, despite a disastrous September (.206, no HRs, four RBI).

Alex Gonzalez, SS: The Reds are hoping for an average in the .260 range and 60, 70 RBI. His defense is what they're paying for.

David Ross, C: He tailed off after the All-Star Break, but 21 HRs and 52 RBI in 247 at-bats isn't bad.

Bench

Juan Castro, INF: If they gave a Gold Glove to a utility player, he'd deserve it.

Jeff Conine, 1B/OF: How effective he is as the right-handed-hitting first baseman will be a key to the club's success.

Josh Hamilton, OF: The Reds seem set on carrying him on the roster. He's athletic enough to play defense in the big leagues now. But his bat is rusty and unproven.

Chad Moeller, C: GM Wayne Krivsky seems to like the three-catcher setup. If the club goes with two catchers, Chris Denorfia or Norris Hopper would make the team in the outfield.

Javier Valentin, C: He hit .286 vs. right-handers and tied for the NL lead with five pinch-hit home runs.

Rotation

Aaron Harang: If he can take the next step, you can call him an ace. Last year's numbers - 16-11, 3.78 ERA, a league-leading 215 strikeouts - aren't too bad.

Bronson Arroyo: Throw out his awful July and he was 14-8 with a 2.95 ERA. Even with the bad month, he was the Reds' best starter.

Eric Milton: This is the Reds' last chance for big returns on their $25 million investment.

Kyle Lohse: When he's on, he's very good. Trouble is, he's been off as much as on the last couple of years.

Kirk Saarloos: He was 10-9 two years ago. The Reds would take that in the fifth spot.

Bullpen

Matt Belisle: We're assuming Saarloos is the fifth starter. Belisle had a good year and was good in Winter Ball. Question is whether his back is OK for the long haul.

Bill Bray: Thing to remember is he's only 23.

Todd Coffey: He could end up getting another shot at closing. Throw out one awful appearance and his ERA was 3.12 last season.

Rheal Cormier: His ERA was nearly three runs higher after the trade from Philly.

Gary Majewski: The Reds are hoping rest was all his shoulder needed.

Mike Stanton: Turns 40 on June 2, but he was good as the closer late last season for San Francisco.

David Weathers: Had a 1.64 ERA in 29 appearances in the second half last season.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...10452/1071/SPT
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Projected 25-man roster

Denorfia should be in the line-up everyday. Not including him on the 25 man roster is insane. I can only assume that Krivsky knows this too, otherwise I am going to lose a lot of faith in the Krivsky.

We also have to remember that Fay is a moron, and his best guess means very little.

Reds and 26.2's

I'd love to see Denorfia on there so that Freel can play where ever they need him, including the infield. I agree with you on the catcher situation..Keep Ross and Valentin and give Moeller's spot to Denorfia...

I'm pretty much neutral with Fay, but he definitely dropped down a notch in my book. Choosing Moeller over Denorfia is insane. Denorfia should and better be starting in CF.

And Fay's lineup makes me wanna puke. It has to be Dunn, EE, JR no matter what. I don't care if Dunn bats 2nd or 3rd, but EE and JR need to follow him, in that order. Unfortunately, I believe Narron thinks like Fay. Not good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I saw this earlier this morning and they forgot to put anyone in the bullpen besides Belisle.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I know that Fay isn't the best but what evidence do we have that Narron and Krivsky don't like having 3 catchers. I don't think that Narron or Krivsky are as high on Deno as most on this board are. I have to think that if it came down to Hamilton or Deno the spot would go to Hamilton because he is Narron's boy and they would risk losing him. I also think that this team will have 3 catchers, Krivsky wants better defense and you have to think that is why he brought in Moeller. I really won't be surprised in the least if Deno isn't on the 25 man at the start of the season.

I think it goes without saying that if Moeller makes the team and Deno doesn't we have major problems.

I'm still hoping we don't have to see Rheal on the opening day roster as he seems like the perfect guy to dump off on a team desperate for a lefty. There's also the fact that he and Narron supposedly didn't see eye to eye last year.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I've got the last slot being between Moeller and Hamilton and Bellhorn. Deno makes it in my mind.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Here is the interesting thing about our bullpen. I actually really like Belisle, Coffey, and Bray. All are young and have electric arms. Then Majewski is a solid guy assuming his shoulder is healthy. There is 4 guys I like right though.

Weathers and Stanton are old, but they were pretty good last year. Hopefully they don't die in the next year or so and I think them.

If Cormier struggles in April he should meet the same fate as Rick White and Chris Hammond.

Overall, if things go right in the bullpen I think it could be decent. That is alot better then it was at the start of last year.

If Denorfia isn't on the 25 man roster, then something is seriously wrong with Wayne. I think he'll be on it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Short of going 0-100 in ST Deno should make the roster, I know he's the opposite of the rest of the bench, under 30..but he's good
    Go Gators!

Conventional wisdom says that Freel can't play every day. Now, I don't happen to believe that but I'm guessing the Reds do. If they move Jr. to RF and Freel is hurt or going to sit down, who are they going to play in CF and lead off? The logical answer is Deno unless they want to screw around with Bubba Crosby. I doubt they trust Hamilton to start unless it's a once in a blue moon thing.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I'm pretty much neutral with Fay, but he definitely dropped down a notch in my book. Choosing Moeller over Denorfia is insane. Denorfia should and better be starting in CF.
    Just FWIW that's Fay's projection of what the REDS will do.
    I think he's probably pretty close.
    There will be injuries that will change the looks of things, but I think his projection is probably pretty close.
    If there are no injuries, I think it may be likely that Dumatrait or Ramerez get Bray's spot and he starts the year in louisville, but that's the only realy part of the projection I think he's missed.

It's not what I would do and I hope I'm wrong my views of what the reds are thinking. I hope Dino is the starting centerfielder for most of April and May, but it won't shock me at all if he doesn't come north.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

We've got it narrowed down right. If you want Deno on the roster, Moeller has to go.

DFS is right--Fay didn't CHOOSE Moeller, he thinks they will. In today's world of large pitching staffs, I think you have to wonder about three roster spots on catchers.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I've got the last slot being between Moeller and Hamilton and Bellhorn. Deno makes it in my mind.
    That's the way I see it too.

I hope and pray Deno makes it and gets consistent playing time.

I just don't see how you can carry 3 catchers when you are already effectively down a roster spot with Hamilton. The only thing I can see is the FO counting on Deno to come up and get his time when JR goes on the DL.

Boil it down to essentials and its one more example of WK's finger crossing plan(to steal a phrase from M2). If Hamilton turns into a gem then it works. I guess one man's lottery ticket is anothers investment portfolio.

Turn Off Ads?