Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will disappoint?

Who will disappoint?

Pick one team that you think will be the biggest disappointment this season. And by this, I mean a team with high expectations, AL or NL, that will fall well short of expectations.

I'll have to go with the Mets. I think the NL East is a lot stronger. The Marlins are a year more experienced, and will be very good if their young pitcher's can stay healthy, the Phillies just might be the strongest team in the league on paper, and the only reason the Braves missed the playoffs last year was an awful bullpen, one that should be one of the strongest this year.

Tom Glavine is a Hall of Famer through and through, but he's also over 40, and Orlando Hernandez is their #2 starter. I've never seen a team with such high expectations have such awful depth in the rotation. They're relying on so many "if's." If Pedro comes back healthy, if Pelfrey or Humber can have a breakthrough season, if Chan Ho Park and Dave Williams can keep their ERA's under 9.00..... I truly believe that this team is in for a major disappointment. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will disappoint?

I have visions - or dreams - of the Cubs imploding spectacularly in the middle of the season after a good start.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Either the Brewers or the Cardinals. The Cardinals are way defecient in the pitching department as of today (of course, deals could be made before the season starts), and the Brewers, for all the improvements they have apparently made, just never live up to expectations. Except when they play the Reds. I wish they had stayed in the AL. I hate them.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    I have visions - or dreams - of the Cubs imploding spectacularly in the middle of the season after a good start.
    Unfortunately, I think the Cubs will be just fine. I hate that.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I too can definatly see the Mets falter and the Braves swoop in and win the division.

But if I had to pick one team, I'd go with the Astros. Even with the addition of Carlos Lee, unless Clemens decides to go back to Houston (which I don't think he will) they won't have enough pitching to win 80+ games.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

The Brewers.

For the last few years now they have been predicted by many to be a breakout team and each year they have fallen on their face. I don't expect this year to be any different. The Cubs are a canidate too because they have no pitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Dodgers. They have the potential to be downright bad.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Cards will lose 80.

Still might be enough to win the Central though.
    Go Gators!

Man Pills

I'll go with the Dodgers too, vatican.

The Mets aren't a bad choice either. And I think Philly will find some way to choke it.

Atlanta will win the East because they are a better and smarter franchise than any other in the East.

One guarantee: the Cardinals will be very good. If Izzy comes back fully healthy, they'll be amazing.

The Cardinals will lose at least 80 games.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Recovering Cubs Fan

The Red Sox. They never should have let their magnificent SS get away.

The Tigers.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

The Cubs. Some Cubs fan in the guise of a baseball "expert" was on Red Hot Mama's podcast last week calmly pontificating that Chicago would win 95 games this year. Expectations are sky high In Chicago. I think they'll mash and probably be in the thick of the race, but their pitching hasn't signifigantly improved over last year and I just don't think they are an elite club.

Wow, if everybody else will be choking, we probably have half a chance this season!

The Mets - their starting pitching is bad.

The Cards won 83 games and the WS last year but they are getting weaker each year not stronger.

Turn Off Ads?