Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report show for 2-7-07. Only a half hour show tonight because of XU hoops. Marty opened the show by saying pitchers and catchers report on the 17th and a few days later the full squad reports. He said the first broadcast will be on Thursday, March 1 when the Reds will play the Pirates. Marty said the Reds had people watching Dustin Hermanson throw today in Scottsdale, AZ. He's trying to show scouts his back is OK. Marty said he pitched only 6 and 2/3 innings last year because of the back injury. Marty feels that if he's healthy and the Reds can sign him, he could be the Reds closer. (Great. We can use him till his back gives out and then use Eddie when he comes back from his surgery. Here's a thought. Why not get a closer who isn't hurt or on Social Security?)

After commercial, Marty talked about the Harang signing and made a crack about the world coming to an end because of the White Death. Marty said it was a huge signing mainly because it shows the Reds have a commitment to putting a winning team on the field.

The first caller asked about Steve Finley's availability and if the Reds were interested in picking him up. Marty said he'd be interested in picking him up. (Yes, Marty, we know you have these inexplicable crushes on 40 something ballplayers.) Marty said he thinks he's still available and Thom feels like he has a lot of game left. (Yep. When I want to know if a ballplayer is good, Thom Brennaman is the first person I'd ask. Geez, if Thom and Marty were running the show, we'd see so many 40 year old guys in here it'd make Wayne and Jerry blush.) Marty doesn't believe that the Reds have any interest in him. (Maybe for Marty's birthday next year, Finley and Conine can jump out of a cake for him) The caller agrees that Finley still has something left in the tank. (This is a prime example of fans taking Marty's word as gospel. Marty mentions Finley would be a great signing and the next thing you know, people are calling up asking if the Reds have any interest in him and they believe he's still a good player. I swear, Marty could say the Reds should sign Robert Redford cause he looked so good in The Natural and the next week, someone would ask if the Reds had any interest in signing him.)

The next caller asked Marty what he thought about the Reds re-signing Harang. Marty said he just said he thought it was great. (Hee! I love it when Marty gets snarky with the callers) The caller thinks it's a good deal too.

The next caller asked about Eddie signing a minor league deal with the Reds. Marty said that he could be back sometime around the middle of June. Marty thinks that's another good signing. The caller asked if the Reds were gong to sign Hermanson. Marty said they were just window shopping. The caller said that if they signed him that would be a good lefty-righty closer combo and better than Old Man Stanton and Geezer Weathers.

The next caller asked about the broadcasting schedule. Marty said Thom is doing 45 games on radio and 45 on TV. The caller asked about Joe and Jeff Brantley. Marty said Joe would do about 25 games and Jeff will do about 115 or so games on radio. The caller asked how it would work out between Marty and Jeff. Marty said it should work out fine.

After commercial, Marty said that former Reds pitcher Jim O'Toole has been hospitalized for a while and both Marty and the organization hopes for a full recovery.

The next caller asked about Waite Hoyt and if there's anything to tell about his history as an announcer. Marty said he could just Google Waite Hoyt and find out info on him. The caller asked if he was honored in the HOF. Marty said he didn't know. Marty said he got to know Waite before he died and learned a lot from him.

The next caller asked about Steve Stewart. Marty said he just talked to Steve and he's one of 3 finalists for a radio gig with the Padres. Marty said everyone there is pulling for him.

The next caller asked why didn't the Reds re-sign Shoeneweis. Marty said that once Scott realized that a NY team showed interest, he was going to sign with them. Marty said that some people think the Reds didn't sign Scott or Aurilia because they weren't interested in them and that wasn't true.

The next caller wondered why the Reds traded for Conine when they could have had Craig Wilson. Marty said he's a huge Craig Wilson fan but he has serious man-love for Conine so it's all good. He compared him to Mr. Hat where they both give you professional ABs and go deep in the count. Marty said the Reds don't have very many hitters like that.

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-7-07. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Chip, your Hot Stove League reports are getting distinctly snarkier as the offseason progresses
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The next caller asked about Waite Hoyt and if there's anything to tell about his history as an announcer. Marty said he could just Google Waite Hoyt and find out info on him. The caller asked if he was honored in the HOF. Marty said he didn't know. Marty said he got to know Waite before he died and learned a lot from him.
    Maybe Marty ought to Google him to see his plaque!

I wonder how often Marty googles himself...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I about drove off the road when I heard Marty say he'd be interested in signing Steve Finley. Marty went on to say that Thom Brennaman thinks Finley 'still has some game left' despite the down year in 2006.

Hey Marty, it's time for Finley to go home and stay home. He will be 42 years-old in March and he's hit .234 over 2005 & 2006. A this point in time, he brings nothing to the table other than an above average glove. He no longer hits for average and he has little power.
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 02-07-2007 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Chip, your Hot Stove League reports are getting distinctly snarkier as the offseason progresses
    I agree and I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

The next caller asked Marty what he thought about the Reds re-signing Harang. Marty said he just said he thought it was great. (Hee! I love it when Marty gets snarky with the callers) The caller thinks it's a good deal too.
    This was Tracy Jones' pal Rod. Marty humored him and played along last week. (Of course if my memory serves correctly Rod was asking why Brenneman and Jones on baseball wasn't on WLW yet since the Bengals season was over. Maybe that's why Marty humored him since apparently Marty and Tracy were set to go and wanted the show on as soon as the Bengals season was over but the powers to be said nada until opening day).

I think he gave him the bum's rush this week because it was a short show.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I wonder how often Marty googles himself...
    Thats great.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I agree and I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing.

Rem
    Agreed.

Steve Finley, wow that would be awesome, maybe when the Cards dump Edmond's in a few years we can get him to replace JR in CF
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    I about drove off the road when I heard Marty say he'd be interested in signing Steve Finley. Marty went on to say that Thom Brennaman thinks Finley 'still has some game left' despite the down year in 2006.

Hey Marty, it's time for Finley to go home and stay home. He will be 42 years-old in March and he's hit .234 over 2005 & 2006. A this point in time, he brings nothing to the table other than an above average glove. He no longer hits for average and he has little power.
    Maybe Cyclone needs a RCF or an LCF for his softball team this year.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The first caller asked about Steve Finley's availability and if the Reds were interested in picking him up. Marty said he'd be interested in picking him up....(This is a prime example of fans taking Marty's word as gospel. Marty mentions Finley would be a great signing and the next thing you know, people are calling up asking if the Reds have any interest in him and they believe he's still a good player. I swear, Marty could say the Reds should sign Robert Redford cause he looked so good in The Natural and the next week, someone would ask if the Reds had any interest in signing him.)
    One nut calling in a radio talk show is proof positive that all of Cincinnati is waiting by the radio for Marty to give his marching orders?

It's more realistic to say it's proof positive of one nut who listened the week before when Marty mentioned Steve Finely, and called in to get on the radio and say something he knew the host would agree with.

BTW - Marty's been repeating the "Conine has a young body" over and over . Where's the groundswell of causual fan support for Conine's "young boddied goodness"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    One nut calling in a radio talk show is proof positive that all of Cincinnati is waiting by the radio for Marty to give his marching orders?

It's more realistic to say it's proof positive of one nut who listened the week before when Marty mentioned Steve Finely, and called in to get on the radio and say something he knew the host would agree with.

BTW - Marty's been repeating the "Conine has a young body" over and over . Where's the groundswell of causual fan support for Conine's "young boddied goodness"?

I didn't say all of Cincinnati, just certain fans. You actually believe this guy is an isolated incident? And no one is saying they are waiting for Marty to give them their marching orders. All I'm saying is that people are very easily influenced by whatever he says. Now this guy may actually have believed that Finley is a great player even before Marty gave him his blessing but I doubt it.

It's probably not much different anywhere else. If Skip Carey says that someone would be a good pickup for the Braves, I'm sure that a lot of Braves fans would agree just because they trust Skip's opinion.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

All hail the Sultan of Snark.

Thanks again, Chipski

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    The argument has not been forwarded that "all of Cincinnati is waiting by the radio for Marty to give his marching orders". You keep making that assertion, its false.

This is by no means an isolated incident. This will be a reoccuring theme across many sports talk shows, Redzone, etc. during the season.

Patience. The parroting doesn't hit full stride until the season starts.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 02-09-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?